APIs and Protocols Task Force

24 Feb 2016


See also: IRC log


Dave_Raggett, Kaz_Ashimura, Johannes_Hund, Daniel_Peintner, Yingying_Chen, Claes_Nilsson, Dan_Romascanu, Nan_Wang, Jason_Lv, Zice_Xiong, Peiyun_Liu, Chao_Ma, Hoan_QUoc, Katsuyoshi_Naka, Kazuaki_Nimura, Michael_Koster, Takuki_Kamiya


<kaz> [ so far: Chao_Ma, Claes_Nilsson, Hoan_Quoc, Katsuyoshi_Naka, Kazuaki_Nimura, Michael_Koster, Takuki_Kamiya ]

<scribe> scribenick: dsr

<kaz> agenda

Johannes introduces the agenda.


Johannes invites the new members to introduce themselves.

Chao_Ma: I am new and from the CETC in China. I have a few colleagues who should be able to join on future calls. I have experience with sensor networks and am very interested in thing descriptions for interoperability.

Finalization of the AP chapter in the tech landscape document

see http://w3c.github.io/wot/landscape.html

This document is split into several chapters which will be provided by the different task forces.

Some of these are currently in different GitHub documents, but we plan to merge them into the main document.

The IETF Core WG have already provided some info on REST etc. We’re missing material on Web Sockets and a few other areas.

Johannes: I’ve chatted with the inventors of the telehash protocol and hope to get them to a future call

<kaz> johannes: AMQP?

<kaz> dsr: can find somebody

<kaz> ... we can update the document

<kaz> johannes: we have several basic bullet points and can update the description later

Regarding STOMP, we may drop that it it isn’t deemed relevant.

We need content for AMQP.

Johannes asks Dave if he has some contacts for that?

Dave: I could dig into that, but could provide some initial text myself.

Johannes: I want to drop entries with no text to them.

Dave: it would be better to leave them in with “to be provided” to show that we are aware of a technology and looking for input.

Johannes: ok

I still need to copy in the ECHONET contribution.

Regarding the scripting APIs, we have some contributions already.

Johannes asks Kaz in respect to the geolocation, NFC and Bluetooth

Kaz: working on it

ditto for vehicle API

Kaz has asked Mozilla Japan to provide content for the Physical API

Johannes has reached out to the johnyfive project maintainers for their contribution,

We should provide something that describes the differences in API styles across node.js, Arduino, micropython, nodemcu etc.

Johannes thanks everyone who has contributed or plans to contribute.

WG charter items

<kaz> WG items

<dape> https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/WG/wot-wg-items.md

Johannes explains the bullet point on security model and policies.

and likewise for the earlier bullet point on security handling

We want to define an abstraction that covers existing frameworks where practical.

Dave: one concern is that the scope may be too broad and this will create problems for companies to review their patent portfolio and the IPR commitments for participating in the working group.

Johannes asks for help with how to refer to work items.

Dave explains that Recommendation track work items vs Notes for guidelines and primers

Dave: bullet points may not be sufficient, as we need to provide enough information to be completely sure what is intended.

Kaz: the normative sections in W3C specs are covered by the patent policy. However the patent policy doesn’t constrain informative sections within specs.

Johannes: we had a deadline for initial comments of last Friday. Is anyone aware of something for us to discuss now?

<kaz> [ fyi, there is a template HTML for daraft charters: https://github.com/w3c/charter-drafts ]

Dave: charters are normally prepared by the W3C Staff with input from the groups. We need to decide whether the current descriptions are ready for handing over to the staff to create a formal draft charter.

Kaz: we should use the new HTML5 charter template

Dave: yes, I started with that last year and we can indeed use it.

Kaz: Dave, Yingying and I can work on that.

Johannes: I will report back to Joerg.

Topics / Open day contributions for next Face2Face

Johannes: the next F2F is in Montreal on 11-13 April with Monday 11th as an open day.

We would like to invite people from outside the IG to present in the open day.

Kaz: I was wondering about the preparation day which was very useful for previous F2Fs

Dave: I have an action on that. I am reaching out to our host, but it is possible that we will need to find a different room, perhaps in a hotel.

Johannes: we’re looking for topics for the open day and themes for the plugfest.

<jhund> Current Practice document

Link to the document used for the last plugfest

The aim is to have a single document covering all aspects for the next plugfest.

Johannes invites suggestions for what we should cover for Montreal.

Dave asks for contacts in the Montreal area for people we can invite to the open day.

Johannes: we’re looking for topics for the AP task force session in the Montreal F2F, people interested in giving talks in the open day or participating in the plugfest.

I encourage everyone to review and contribute to the TF-AP chapter of the landscape survey so that it is ready for external review.

If you have any comments regarding the charter work items, please provide them as soon as possible.

This especially includes addressing any concerns over scope in relation to IPR.

Our next TF-AP meeting is in two weeks time.

<kaz> tx, jhund!

okay, we can now circulate the link, or should we leave that to Johannes?

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/02/24 14:31:14 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.144  of Date: 2015/11/17 08:39:34  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Chao Ma:/Chao_Ma:/
Succeeded: s/chao_ma: from CETC//
Succeeded: s/geolocation API/geolocation, NFC and Bluetooth/
Succeeded: s/http/-> http/
Succeeded: s/html/html Best Practice document/
Succeeded: s/Best/Current/
Found ScribeNick: dsr
Inferring Scribes: dsr
Present: Dave_Raggett Kaz_Ashimura Johannes_Hund Daniel_Peintner Yingying_Chen Claes_Nilsson Dan_Romascanu Nan_Wang Jason_Lv Zice_Xiong Peiyun_Liu Chao_Ma Hoan_QUoc Katsuyoshi_Naka Kazuaki_Nimura Michael_Koster Takuki_Kamiya
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wot-ig/2016Feb/0065.html
Got date from IRC log name: 24 Feb 2016
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2016/02/24-wot-ap-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]