W3C

- DRAFT -

Digital Publishing ARIA Task Force

12 Mar 2015

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Tzviya, pkra, Susann_Keohane, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Michael_Cooper, Janina, Markus, Matt_Garish, Matt_Garrish, ShaneM, Markus_Gylling
Regrets
Chair
Tzviya_Siegman
Scribe
janina, mgylling, tzviya

Contents


<MichaelC> trackbot, associate this channel with #pf

<trackbot> Associated this channel with #pf.

https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/dpub.html

<janina> scribe: janina

ts: Hoping my voice holds out!

ts

t

<tzviya> scribenick: tzviya

mgarrish: assuming we don't need to deal with prefix (DPUB) issue, we can address some of the other questions

janina: we determined that our coordination will prevent us from having clashes

mgarrish: issue 1: role = "abstract
... " potential for confusion with abstract roles
... I don't find this confusing

<ShaneM> I recommend we remove the text about abstract roles in the spec. we dont have any

mgarrish: Abstract is a distinct publishing term. Words like "summary" don't have the same meaning.

<ShaneM> or include the term 'abstract role' in the included glossary.

ShaneM: 2 suggestions - remove the prose about abstract roles or put abstract roles in the glossaries

<pkra> +

<pkra> +1

<richardschwerdtfeger> +1

consensus to remove prose about abstract roles

markus: gloss* issues will probably remain in FPWD. These recommend required contexts

<Zakim> ShaneM, you wanted to talk about the basic issue of abbreviations as role names

mgarrish: is there a style guide, grammar rules to follow (e.g. no abbreviations, hyphens)?

mgylling: having 1:1 mappings to EPUB would be nice, but we don't want to breach ARIA rules

ShaneM: no, there are not guidelines for how we name roles

mgylling: we have page-list, and there was an indication that the hyphen should disappear

rich: that isn't an issue

ShaneM: there are currently no abbr in role names

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to mention present and future ARIA collision and to mention ARIA will span multiple ¨verticals¨ so we need to be careful about role names

MichaelC: we don't have guidelines on role naming
... we probably should have guidelines about patterns for parsing
... and we need to have roles that make sense in naming so that candidate roles makes sense to different people from different domains

<Zakim> ShaneM, you wanted to point out that the role name rules are specified in the role attribute recommendation

michaelC: we should use the ARIA taxonomy to guide us

ShaneM: characters allowed is specified
... in role spec

<ShaneM> w3.org/TR/role-attribute

Rich: we agreed not to prefix the DPUB terms, but in the future we might need to for other vocabs

michaelC: creating a virtual ns separated by hyphen is what we expect to do in future unless otherwise negotiated
... whether other hyphens are allowed is a question

<ShaneM> are role values case sensitive?

rich: Can we live without the hyphen?

markus: we can go to camelCase

Janina: how much of a problem is hyphen? When ns, couldn't we recognize the first hyphen?

<ShaneM> I note that this is why the Role Recommendation specifies that you can create vocabulary spaces and separate them with a colon.

markus: we drop hyphen, stay all lowercase

janina: what about underscore?

rich: let's not go there

pagelist

acronyms?

acronyms are OK as long as they are well known and meaningful

<ShaneM> FYI role names are case sensitive.

mgarrish: should we expand terms like glossdef to glossarydefinition?

MichaelC: I think we should have a bias toward brevity

Shane: Attribute values are fraught with error

Janina: this argues for shortened form

michaelC: We will stick with the shortened form within reason

Tzviya: as long as the terms are recognizable even to those outside of the community, it's OK

<pkra> create issue where?

rich: do we have a name in tracker for this?

<pkra> +1

<pkra> so here https://github.com/w3c/aria/ ?

<mgylling> scribe: mgylling

<tzviya> ShaneM: just use GitHub for issue tracking

rich: name from should be “author” except:

<pkra> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/dpub.html

rich: …except: biblioentry+link “content and author”,
... use ACCNAME-AAM

<richardschwerdtfeger> http://www.w3.org/TR/accname-aam-1.1/

… name from content means: concatenate text nodes of all descendants

… author to do the assignment (labelledBy, title etc) instead in most cases

<tzviya> scribe: tzviya

Rich: We have to look at superclass roles to make sure they are correct
... example, "cover" superclass is contentInfo
... Do you want cover to be among the landmarks?

Tzviya: yes
... would it be helpful to define which elements are landmarks?

Rich: Yes
... required owned elements
... what are the mandatory descendents?
... Pullquote has a superclass role of presentation

ShaneM: yes, we really meant that. Pullquotes are visually distinct, but duplicated content

Rich: maybe, it should be "none" instead of "presentation"

<Zakim> janina, you wanted to ask about pull quotes

Janina: UA might want to access pullquotes

mgylling: perfect question for FPWD

<ShaneM> My meta issue is that it is COMPLETELY UNCLEAR TO ANYONE what roles to use in their documents.

<pkra> tzviya can the issues in the html be moved to the tracker?

<ShaneM> Shane needs to get the JS support working. I have a hack to get us to FPWD.

Next steps: DPUB needs to fix a few issues

scribe: Shane will fix the states, properties

Rich: need some help with intro?

janina: guess for FPWD date?

target: Apr 16

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015-03-12 14:04:16 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/michaelC/ShaneM/
Succeeded: s/assigment/assignment/
Found Scribe: janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina
Found ScribeNick: tzviya
Found Scribe: mgylling
Inferring ScribeNick: mgylling
Found Scribe: tzviya
Inferring ScribeNick: tzviya
Scribes: janina, mgylling, tzviya
ScribeNicks: tzviya, janina, mgylling

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

Default Present: Tzviya, pkra, Susann_Keohane, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Michael_Cooper, Janina, Markus, Matt_Garish, Matt_Garrish, ShaneM, Markus_Gylling
Present: Tzviya pkra Susann_Keohane Rich_Schwerdtfeger Michael_Cooper Janina Markus Matt_Garish Matt_Garrish ShaneM Markus_Gylling
Got date from IRC log name: 12 Mar 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/03/12-dpub-aria-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report


[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]