TV Control API Community Group Teleconference

20 Jan 2015


See also: IRC log


Alexander Erk, Ryan Davis, Sean Lin, Chris Needham, Ted Guild, Kaz Ashimura, Paul Higgs, Bin Hu, SungHei Kim, Francois Daoust, Daniel Davis


Roll call, Introduction and Call for Scribe

Bin: First meeting of our group in 2015.
... Francois is from W3C, joining us today. Ryan Davis is from iHeartMedia in Automotive BG, joining us as well:

Ryan: Hi. I had reviewed before the TV tuner requirements and mapping table to see commonalities.
... There does seem to be commonalities. That's why I think it's good to be listening here, learning for you guys.

tidoust: I was at the beginning of the Web and TV IG, working for the W3C then.
... I've been back at the W3C for the past 9 months interested in TV work.

Daniel: A question to Ryan. The TV control API is what we're working. Why would that be appealing for Automotive people?

Ryan: I think of it as a media tuner API.
... TV is a source of media. Could be radio or so on. The whole point is the focus on "tuner".

daniel: Indeed, one of the things that got raised at last Web and TV IG F2F was that the API should not focus on broadcast streams of a particular kind, perhaps including broadband streams as well for instance. That resonates well with what you're saying.

Ryan: Right. I don't want to hijack the work of the TV Control API CG, here.

Kaz: Note I work for the Automotive BG as well and mentioned the TV Control API CG there. It should be useful for both groups to collaborate together

<Bin_Hu> http://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/wiki/Main_Page/Agenda_Telco_Jan_20_2015

Bin: Let's move on with the agenda.

Review open action items


<trackbot> ACTION-9 -- Sung Hei Kim to Link to the requirement and circulate the skeleton document -- due 2014-08-12 -- CLOSED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/track/actions/9

Bin: Action to circulate the skeleton document is now done. Sung was instrumental in that, thanks a lot! Great work and great discussions!


<trackbot> ACTION-21 -- Bin Hu to Contact hbbtv regarding their specification -- due 2014-12-02 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/track/actions/21

Bin: About contacting HbbTV, Francois got in touch with IRT. Don't know if they are around today, but that's going in the right direction.
... Good to have HbbTV presence in the work of the CG.

Status update of the draft of technical specification

Bin: Good discussions. Sean has updated the specification, available on GitHub, and shared yesterday.
... Thank you for everybody who contributed to the discussion on fixing references to Promises, now part of ES6.
... I'll leave the floor to Sean to present the draft spec.

Alex: Sorry to interrupt, this is Alexander Erk from IRT. First call for me. For me and my colleague Michael Probst, it's new. Just wanted to raise the fact that we've started a RadioWEB in RadioDNS and looking for participation in that group.

Bin: Thanks a lot Alex for the introduction.
... We are a very open group and are looking forward to your contributions to the group.
... You're very welcome!

Sean: The current draft is characterized by a few components.
... We have a TVManager that gives a list of TVTuner with several TVSource that give access to the EPG.
... In turn, we get access to channels and programs.
... Also, some support for scanning channels.

<kaz> TV Control API draft on Github

Sean: I think that's it for now.

Bin: The current spec is a subset of the requirements that we have come up with.
... General channel and program requirements are well covered, I think.
... For EPG requirements, there's perhaps still a gap there
... That's a very good starting point.
... Next step for the group is to review the current specification and to identify the gaps in terms of meeting the requirements.

<kaz> Requirements wiki

Bin: I'm particularly interested from people from other companies who have not yet contributed to the discussions.
... Also, there might be some interest to adjust requirements.

Paul: I don't see parental lock in the current API.
... Are we expecting more?

<Bin_Hu> http://www.w3.org/community/tvapi/wiki/Main_Page/Requirements_Mapping

Sean: For parental controls, at the time when we did some gap analysis, the Mozilla TV API had some parental control stuff but we felt the features were not quite ready yet so we trimmed them out of scope.
... I think it's just a time gap between the gap analysis and the development of the API.
... Now the goal is to evolve the baseline that we have right now.
... We don't have parental control in this draft. I think that's one item we should mark as "orange" and not as "green".

Paul: OK, I was looking at work items that we still had to work upon, but see it's not necessarily accurate anymore.

<Zakim> kaz, you wanted to ask if we should add marks to the requirements wiki saying which is included in the spec

Kaz: We might want to add one more column to the mapping table that represents our current spec

Bin: That's a good point, yes.
... That will help measure the progress of the spec.
... Who wants to take this action?
... Maybe Paul?

Paul: I cannot take it right now. I don't have the bandwidth, I'm afraid.

Daniel: I can have a look

<scribe> ACTION: Daniel and Kaz to add a column to the mapping table to measure the progress of our specification. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/01/20-tvapi-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-22 - And kaz to add a column to the mapping table to measure the progress of our specification. [on Daniel Davis - due 2015-01-27].

kaz: I can help

Bin: Any other question?

Alex: A very generic question. Sorry if it's out of scope. Right now, you're very focused on TV. Assuming that the API you're specifying runs on a DVB platform, that could include radio services. To what point can we reuse the current spec?
... It might be just a matter of renaming interfaces.

Bin: Very good question. My understanding of how the API can support radio: the scope of the group is to define an API that is agnostic of the underlying technology.
... So indeed, it should support signals of different types and formats, including radio.
... It should also be able to manage channels of a given type
... Need some way to advertize the fact that a channel is pure audio or audio and video.

Alex: so an implementation for radio is in scope for this group?

Bin: It's not out of scope. Same type of scenario as playing TV channels.

Francois: Based on that, should we start renaming things within the spec? They're currently using "TV".

Bin: I would wait until we have a mechanism to identify the type of channel, which Alex could perhaps contribute.
... I would rather focus on features before worrying about names

Kaz: I think Bin's response is reasonable at this point. I would add an editor's note in the meantime to the spec to clarify that the goal is not to exclude radio. Then, at some point, we can change the name.

Alex: Thanks, we will have a closer look at the current draft. As said earlier, we submitted last week our first draft in the Radio WEB group. If it's ok with you, I would try to complete the mapping table from a radio perspective.
... I agree with your point about leaving naming problems for the end. The architecture of the spec is more important.

Ryan: Indeed, we can place placeholders in the spec as suggested.
... The task force is from the Automotive and Web Platform Business Group. I'll share links when we have them.

<cpn> http://www.w3.org/community/autowebplatform/

Bin: Ryan, I haven't seen a lot of activity over there. Could you introduce the Media Task Force? Background, goals?

<kaz> [ a link should be added to the BG's wiki page at: http://www.w3.org/community/autowebplatform/wiki/Main_Page ]

<cpn> https://www.w3.org/community/autowebplatform/wiki/images/8/8e/Obigo_Navigation_FM_Tuner_API_W3C_Proposal_20140318.pdf

<inserted> [ cpn, the above is a use case of Obigo, one of the BG participants ]

Ryan: We just kicked this off, right before the holidays. Our focus is to create an open media tuner API specification for the vehicle.
... Right now, we're still in the middle of scope.
... There is kind of an infinite scope in the automotive world. Part of the discussion is trying to understand what the differences are so we can write requirements around it.

Bin: I'm looking forward for news on your side.
... Any other suggestion?
... If not, I encourage you to take a look at the spec, and send comment to the mailing-list. Meanwhile, Daniel and Kaz will survey gaps in the mapping table.
... Talk to you in about 4 weeks!

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Daniel and Kaz to add a column to the mapping table to measure the progress of our specification. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/01/20-tvapi-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015-01-20 15:07:38 $