W3C

- DRAFT -

Protocols and Formats Working Group Teleconference
18 Dec 2014

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Regrets
Chair
Rich
Scribe
fesch

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 18 December 2014

<richardschwerdtfeger> Meeting: W3C WAI-PF ARIA Caucus

<richardschwerdtfeger> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2014Dec/0129.html

<scribe> scribe:fesch

<scribe> scribe: fesch

rs: svg task force is tomorrow, digital publishing task force up and running too
... next meeting Jan 8, 2015

time of meeting

rs: Janina has a meeting an hour earlier, can't be in two places at one time

<jongund> 1+

<jongund> +1

<clown> +1

<richardschwerdtfeger> +1

<joanie> +1

+1

janina: wants to wait until January 8, until we decide whether we have the call earlier

<richardschwerdtfeger> RESOLUTION: Wait until january 8 decide whether to make the call earler. Michael to set up a poll

describedat - discussion deferred until January

janinia: running grep - looking for user agent commands - in January

rs: rich's interest is with digital publishing

<bgaraventa1979> yay

<scribe> ACTION: 1440 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/12/18-aria-minutes.html#action01]

<joanie> action-1440

<trackbot> action-1440 -- Joanmarie Diggs to landmarks section uses "region of page" in prose even though "region" is not a landmark -- due 2014-10-06 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1440

<richardschwerdtfeger> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2014Dec/0028.html

<clown> http://w3c.github.io/aria/aria/aria.html#region

<clown> +1

<jongund> +1

+1

<richardschwerdtfeger> Proposal: People agee with Matt’s proposal with Rich’s revisions and Matt to come back with a revised proposal for January 8

<richardschwerdtfeger> +1

+1

<clown> +1

<bgaraventa1979> +1

<joanie> +1

Jd: wants Jame Craig's input

<richardschwerdtfeger> rs: agree

<richardschwerdtfeger> RS: note: this would remove the need for a concrete landmark role

jd: question for Matt - region of a page - vs portion of a page?

mk: intentional as changes, work

action-1442

<joanie> action-1442

<trackbot> action-1442 -- Léonie Watson to Create spec. text for aria-currentfor="IDREF" and aria-current="true/false", related to issue-587 -- due 2014-10-13 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1442

<trackbot> action-1442 -- Léonie Watson to Create spec. text for aria-currentfor="IDREF" and aria-current="true/false", related to issue-587 -- due 2014-10-13 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1442

<richardschwerdtfeger> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2014Oct/0114.html

mk: not sure of state

<LJWatson> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2014Nov/0238.html

lw: we agreed don't need aria-currentfor - so just down to aria-current

cs: do simple case (aria-current) now ... (not aria-currentfor)

bg: can add a use case - test scores with criteria

lw: discussed text about aria-selected vs aria-current

rs: tab panels use aria-selected, should that change

mk: : at one time we were going to add warning about aria-selected vs aria-current

lw: need to keep the attribute simple

mk: wonders about use case bg gave
... afraid of ambiguity that a author may believe is clear, but won't be clear to the user

<jongund> Thats what I said

??

<richardschwerdtfeger> RS: What if we had an attribute called aria-currenttext? Which provides informative help information regarding the aria-current attribute to provide context

jg: asked about use -

lw: wants to keep it simple

<clown> http://idrc.ocad.ca/index.php/research-and-development/ongoing-projects

<bgaraventa1979> +q

mk: aria is about semantics - answers jg question - list with item in list styled - to show the current member of the set

bg: value of attribute - can be programmatically assigned

<jamesn> another use case for aria-current: http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/ux/middleware/richclient/index.html?/webfolder/ux/middleware/richclient/guidelines5/train.html

<richardschwerdtfeger> RS: This is good for breadcrumbs

mk & bg discuss use -

cs: relays why something may be styled

PROPOSAL: Do we not need aria-currentfor

<richardschwerdtfeger> not now

+1

<LJWatson> +1

<joanie> +1

<jamesn> +1

<mattking> +1

<clown> +1 for now

<bgaraventa1979> agree for 'not now'

RESOLUTION: don't need aria-currentfor at this time

PROPOSAL: Do we need aria-currenttext to explain aria-current?

<mattking> it really depends on how global the aria-current attribute is.

<mattking> If aria-current is narrow in scope, the no.

<mattking> if aria-current is global in scope, then definitely yes

LW: aria-current would take a string instead of a boolean

mk: challenges for using a string for aria-current
... if aria-current needs to be in a navigation area, no need for a string, if it can be used anywhere then may need a string

cs: would like to see it be able to be used in a decision tree etc

<jongund> +q

cs: wants to see it be able to used in a flow chart -

<LJWatson> -1 on aria-currenttext

<joanie> -1 on aria-currenttext

<richardschwerdtfeger> -1 on aria-currenttext

<clown> -1 on aria-currenttext

-1

<mattking> -1

<richardschwerdtfeger> CS: -1 on aria-currenttext

<clown> http://w3c.github.io/aria/aria/aria.html#aria-invalid

PROPOSAL: aria-current takes a string token (enum), which represents the purpose - like aria-invalid?

bg: would like to include true in the token list

<LJWatson> +1

<richardschwerdtfeger> +1

+1

<clown> +1 (if the token list includes "true" and "false", where "false" is the default)

<clown> http://w3c.github.io/aria/aria/aria.html#valuetype_token

<mattking> suggested values could be "page", "step", , etc.

<mattking> need list of use cases for token development

RESOLUTION: aria-current can take a token, where two of the allowed values are true and false

smokin'

rs: what token values do we want

all discussion of tokens:

token - page,

token, step

token - location (you are here)

<clown> token - true

rs: is this a good start we can add to?

<clown> token - false (default)

token -false

mk: AT vendors should take liberties with how tokens are expressed

PROPOSAL: Accept above list of token values?

<LJWatson> +1

<clown> +1

<richardschwerdtfeger> +1

<mattking> +1

<joanie> +1

+1

mk: should date/time be included in tokens now?

token - date

token time

no jokes on token time?

<LJWatson> +1

<clown> +1

+1

<richardschwerdtfeger> RS: values are: true, false, date, time, step, page, location

<joanie> +1

<richardschwerdtfeger> +1

<LJWatson> +1

<mattking> +1

+1

<clown> +1

PROPOSAL: Do we agree aria-current is global?

<richardschwerdtfeger> +1

<LJWatson> +1

+1

<bgaraventa1979> +1

<mattking> +1

<clown> +1

<richardschwerdtfeger> janina: +1

<joanie> +1

<richardschwerdtfeger> ACTION: Leonie write revised proposal for aria-current based on today’s meeting for issue 587 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/12/18-aria-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-1548 - Write revised proposal for aria-current based on today’s meeting for issue 587 [on Léonie Watson - due 2014-12-25].

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: 1440 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/12/18-aria-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Leonie write revised proposal for aria-current based on today’s meeting for issue 587 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/12/18-aria-minutes.html#action02]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-12-18 19:22:13 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s|+ +1.650.738.aaaa|Teleconference scheduling poll: https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/32212/201501_aria-time/|
Found Scribe: fesch
Inferring ScribeNick: fesch
Found Scribe: fesch
Inferring ScribeNick: fesch

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Brian_Garaventa Bryan_Garaventa CS Cynthia_Shelly Fred_Esch GVoice IPcaller James_Nurthen Joanmarie_Diggs Jon_Gunderson Joseph_Scheuhammer LJWatson LW Matt_King MichaelC Michael_Cooper P15 PROPOSAL RS Rich_Schwerdtfeger bg bgaraventa1979 clown https jamesn janina janinia jcraig jd jg joanie jongund mattking mk onie_Watson richardschwerdtfeger trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Found Date: 18 Dec 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/12/18-aria-minutes.html
People with action items: 1440 leonie

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.


[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]