HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

16 Jun 2014

See also: IRC log


Mark_Sadecki, Shane_McCarron, Janina, Kazuyuki, Clarke Stevens, wu wei
daniel davis
Mark Sadecki


<trackbot> Date: 16 June 2014

<MarkS> Meeting: HTML Accessibility Task Force Media Sub-Group

Identify Scribe

<scribe> scribe: janina

TV & Web: Use Cases and Requirements (update)

ms: Update ... I and js met with IG leads during AC, talked about steps forward
... perhaps a spin of our reqs doc specifically for broadcast/cable

ms tbc

Processing Media Accessibility User Requirements Comments

ms: we will wrap next heartbeat first
... believe we're caught up on comments
... Agreed to change title, look at possible updates,
... removed email ref

js: behind on my action, but will do via email by tuesday

ms: I'll draft candidate responses to req comments for our next call

<MarkS> ACTION: MarkS to draft comment responses for MAUR [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/16-html-a11y-media-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-267 - Draft comment responses for maur [on Mark Sadecki - due 2014-06-23].

Media Accessibility User Requirements (next steps)

ms: finl steps before hb
... also need vocab review, please propose any change via email
... Once we have new 4.8, we should move to pub
... Pub should be easy, as it's a hb
... Proposing 26 June

<MarkS> ACTION: MarkS to publish heartbeat draft of MAUR by 2014-06-26 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/16-html-a11y-media-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-268 - Publish heartbeat draft of maur by 2014-06-26 [on Mark Sadecki - due 2014-06-23].

CableLabs presentation

<Clarke> User Clarke Stevens shared the file "DVS Dual Labeling 6-16-2014.pptx" with you. It is available for download here: https://owncloud.cablelabs.com/public.php?service=files&t=c93b3b23f897e70d5398c3c8e18be9bd

cs: Has three slides in the ppt
... Wants to discuss labeling for video descript in traditional broadcast
... Don't think there's any impact on this group, but worth checking
... Also informs us what's happening

js: asks to clarify that cs means traditional video descript

cs: when additional audio track is sent, tend to use SAP
... or second audio track
... traditionally labeled as "spanish"
... In CA it's labeled as "middle English"
... Turner labels it "Portugese"
... using ac3 lang descriptor
... also an audio descriptor
... bsmod available for labeling
... also provides lang identifier
... uses iso639
... if using this descriptor, labeling is accurate
... people should be using it, the ac3 audio descriptor
... Cable has proposed "dual labeling" labeling both as "spanish" and also (correctly) in ac3 audio descriptor
... assumption is the older sets will not parse ac3
... newer equipment will use ac3
... testing to date proves this
... Taken this proposal to CEA Media
... Accepted, also Sony has tested
... also gone to NAB, tentavie agreement there
... Bob Lund and Silvia Pfeiffer believe already accounted for in our HTML text track

ms: So traditional SAP marker is being used as a fallback

cs: Supports older equipment which doesn't know AC3

<Clarke> "Elephant's Dream_DVS_DD_v2.mpg" is available here: https://owncloud.cablelabs.com/public.php?service=files&t=b1acaa4dc1f4b8e311ef71eada5fb547

cs: This is a test stream that illustrates this
... Motiviation is industry accepted solution before any regs
... Can be updated, when new equipment becomes ubiquitous

JS: this sounds good to me. I was wondering what the capacity in digital transport for this alternative content is. Is there any possibility to send multiple language audio tracks

js: Asks about ability to support more than one additional secondary track

cs: designed to support the web case where numerous tracks are supportable, and all could be correctly labeled
... I have a white paper that shows this in preparation
... includes marker for "hearing impaired audio," what we are calling "clean audio."

sm: notes that Minnesota public broadcasters chose to use their bandwidth for multiple video channels

ms: asks about epg, and what data is available to show

JS: parallel secondary video track, someone might actually create a second track that a deaf person would use instead of captions because it would be signed, PiP.

...i believe a set of language indicators that made a distinction between the different intl sign-languages

<Zakim> just, you wanted to clarify about multi-tracks in minnesota

Full Transcript

ms: Noting TF wish list for html.next

<MarkS> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Full_Transcript

JS: I also want us to discuss putting together a working demo that showcases all of the features and permutations of accessible video

...i think we had various reps industry to help us put this together.

MS: I think we would need to identify the video first, then begin gathering accessible tracks

JS: I can reach out to Suzanne Taylor. would like a review of my email, proposal to her.

...RE: transcript, this can be done in 5.1. timeline. there has been work done on this already.

...we have authority under plan 2014 to do this.

...no agreement on which approach to take

...possibly publish both

...AAPL approach was to put a link to the video nearby to the transcript

...GOOG approach was more elaborate to the point where it started to be confused with captions

MS: sounds like we need to find out where we left off with those

JS: I need to do that. the interest was mainstream.

MS: can we use aria to achieve this?

JS: for apples approach, yes

...would be a good idea


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: MarkS to draft comment responses for MAUR [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/16-html-a11y-media-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: MarkS to publish heartbeat draft of MAUR by 2014-06-26 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/16-html-a11y-media-minutes.html#action02]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-06-16 21:03:53 $