W3C

Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

21 May 2014

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Shadi, Vivienne, Dave, Silvia, Markel, Annika, Simon, Christos
Regrets
Giorgio, Peter
Chair
Simon
Scribe
Dave

Contents


F2F 2014

Not enough people available to take part in a F2F meeting at ICCHP this July

So this plan is not going ahead

Accessible Wayfinding

Vivienne - has received enquiry from an organization involved in a new hospital project on means of accessible way finding methods, QR codes, iBeacons mentioned as possible methods.

Vivienne - such wayfinding methods need to be easy to use and reliable given high cognitive load some users may experience

Vivienne - lack of information on accessibility of some wayfinding methods, but opportunities exist for using smartphones and tablet devices

Vivienne - has started a catalogue of information on accessibility and wayfinding methods

christos - has experience of developing a wayfinding app for outdoor navigation and identifying accessible places in a particular location

christos - other similar apps exist. Most use a similar approach - looking at accessibility *of* places. Question of how to aggregate and integrate location information that different apps hold?

christos - this work has connections with Web of Things, and augmented reality

christos - this is an interesting area to do more work in

annika - there is a project that worked on a smartphone app making it easier for blind/visually impaired people to acquire a target such as a QR code

annika - has worked on a project investigating support for navigation by older people; has done literature review in this area

annika - need to establish a focus on how this relates to web accessibility

annika - agree that augmented reality is another important area of study

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/geo/XGR-geo-ont-20071023/

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/2014/03/lgd/

shadi - agree with annika and christos. In addition, there is a geospatial angle to this area of research

shadi - looking at outputs of this work would be useful

shadi - wayfinding seems to be an application of several different areas of research coming together. Is there a need for some catalogue items to be more foundational, covering each contributing topic?

sharper - is accessible wayfinding a good symposium topic?

vivienne - keen to work on this as a topic, will need some help

christos - would be interested in contributing too

<shadi> +1 possibly a strucutred discussion to pursue

<Vivienne> I stuck the title up under the catalogue titles today

<shadi> [[also relates to accessible maps item]]

<Vivienne> Annika wants to help also

RESOLUTION: develop a catalogue topic on accessible wayfinding as a precursor to a symposium

<Vivienne> That's great. I'll get something up on the catalogue topic entry in the next couple of days and we three can all add to it

<scribe> ACTION: vivienne, christos and annika to work on developing accessible wayfinding catalogue topic [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/05/21-rd-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Error finding 'vivienne,'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/users>.

Symposia Ideas

sharper - we could contact W3C community and business groups for future symposia ideas

sharper - need to develop other symposia ideas. For example look at catalogue topics and rank them in order of priority

sharper - does anyone have contacts in industry that might suggest symposium topics?

vivienne - ePublishing is a possible topic, discussed at W4A

vivienne - added epublishing content to wiki but edits don't seem to have been persistent

I'm interested in ePublishing too; happy to work on this once TC4R is finished

shadi - Chet Cooper at Ability Magazine is interested in this topic too

vivienne - will add information to wiki, and then see who else is interested in developing this topic further

<Vivienne> I found a quote from Judy Brewer about the ePub3 standard

shadi - there is ongoing work on ePublishing within W3C - not sure what the accessibility research challenges are.

Are ePublishing authoring tools and authoring workflow a possible topic?

shadi - current areas of investigation include CSS and pagination. Haven't yet heard accessibility questions, but lack of clarity in this area suggests there is scope for RDWG gathering information.

<shadi> +1 Dave - yes, I think relates to ATAG as well

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/community/sensorweb/participants

sharper - also looking at sensors group. Could this feed into the wayfinding activity, or is this something big enough to be a separate symposium?

sharper - any thoughts on symposia topics, please share them with the group

shadi - sensors are a sub-part of Web of Things

Catalogue Items

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Research_Topics

shadi - prioritisation of category topics - may be some suggestions in last week's meeting minutes, but otherwise nothing formal

sharper - plans to clean up Research Topics page to clarify suggestions for future; to help group create a Top 10 list of topics to address going forward

<Vivienne> sounds fine

<markel> yes

<annika> +1

sharper - RDWG members should agree on an ordered list of most important 10 topics to cover. Members could write a list without consulting the wiki, or consult the list that's currently there

<silvia_mirri_> fine also for me

<christos> +1

+1 for me

<markel> isn't a list of 10 too long?

<markel> discussion sounds good to me

RESOLUTION: All RDWG members to contribute list of top 5 (at least) research topics that RDWG should focus on

TC4R note work is making good progress; draft planned for 2 weeks time

sharper - plans to link together related published work from RDWG

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: vivienne, christos and annika to work on developing accessible wayfinding catalogue topic [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/05/21-rd-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-05-23 15:06:16 $