W3C

Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

26 Mar 2014

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Luz, Shadi, Markel, Klaus, Simon
Regrets
Yehya, Silvia, Annika, Mark, Peter, Christos
Chair
Simon
Scribe
Markel

Contents


TPAC 27-31 October 2014, Santa Clara, http://www.w3.org/2014/11/TPAC/

<shadi> +1

SH: +1 people who might want to go to TPAC

<Luz> Not going.

SAZ: Can we explain what TPAC is?

SH: is a meeting were different groups get together.

SAZ: it stands for W3C technical plenary. It'd be great to have a RDWG. It's in Santa Clara, CA. It'd be a good opportunity to share thought with other groups like mobile.
... to know what they are up to. We can also feedback them and the other way around.
... downside is it is far away but it'll be highly benefitial.
... shall we have a survey to know tentative availability?

SH: I could add something about the ICCHP availability.

SAZ: it could be a rolling survey which we run from time to time.

SH: MH and Gerardo seem not to be available.

W3C Workshop on the Web of Things http://www.w3.org/2014/02/wot/

SH: there is a W3C workshop going on. There might be some accessibility issues going on. SAZ and I and coordination group think we could publish something on behalf of RDWG.
... +1 if the workshop is a good idea to put a short abstract on behalf of RDWG?

<shadi> https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Augmented_Reality_/_Internet_of_Things

SAZ: 2 weeks ago we discussed the augmented reality item of the wiki. We had a discussion about it
... we though about having a more structured wiki entry by breaking up things into smaller pieces.
... it seems relevant so we could have a structured discussion within the group.
... based on that we could put a position paper on behalf of the workshop. Simon and I could convey the outcomes of the discussion by highlighting the accessibility challenges and the links to other groups.
... we have the opportunity to very early on put feedback on that.

SH: any comment on this?

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/2014/03/12-rd-minutes.html

KM: I agree that we have several problems on the scope of the topic. I'm happy to discuss and work on this again and put it as a structured discussion.

SH: expressions of interest have to be submitted by the 25 of April, although nothing is said about the date of full papers
... is anybody willing to lead the effort?

SAZ: it says that if you want to present you need to put a position paper by the 25 of April.

SH: there are some actions we can divide.

SAZ: @KM, would you be interested in creating a catalogue item in the Wiki?
... and have a discussion between now and the deadline

<klaus> fine with me

SAZ: there are 3 pieces to be done, which they don't have to be necessarily be done by the same person

SH: considering the timeline, it's going to be unlikely that I can put anything substantial
... we could put something together as extracted from the wiki

SAZ: we could talk about the challenges we encounter with regard to the WoT
... the UI accessibility is one aspect; another aspect is the configuration and protocols.
... also the accessibility to data through APIs by assistive tech
... the settings aspect: there's is software update and the initial configuration is reset
... the number of situations in which those devices are web enabled and pose an accessibility problem, even if, ironically opens lots of opportunities to people with disabilities
... we could put some use cases

SH: it's a good way of thinking about it. Perhaps these things deserve a symposium. If we could put something sensible...
... we need to realise what the deadlines are for this. If by next week we cannot complete the topic and we don't have the people we have to write a line
... we need 2.5 or 3 weeks to complete

<klaus> yes!

SAZ: @KM, would you be able to have a wiki item by the next week?
... we could have some side discussions with people at W4a

<klaus> I will do my best

SAZ: and have a draft by the 16?

<klaus> (-:

<sharper> ACTION: klaus to bring together WOT in wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/03/26-rd-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-57 - Bring together wot in wiki [on Klaus Miesenberge - due 2014-04-02].

<sharper> ACTION: shadi to develop paper from WOT wiki by 16th April [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/03/26-rd-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-58 - Develop paper from wot wiki by 16th april [on Shadi Abou-Zahra - due 2014-04-02].

Update next topic - https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/53

SAZ: I met MH on CSUN, he's looking to get a colleague into the group so that this person can move it forward.

Metrics Note https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/47

SAZ: I have a side comment on the metrics note which is becoming very relevant.
... I haven't made progress on the actual work here. We are having a discussion on the evaluation working group
... we haven't get onto the discussion about which the best metric is
... people fear that metrics would dilute accessibility
... as measurements might be too tolerant
... we haven't identified the perfect metrics
... on the other hand people acknowledge of the benefits for high level managers, being tolerant to errors is also a good side, etc
... this discussion is here again

MV: as long as we know the weaknesses and strengths about metrics --which the note does-- that's fine

SAZ: indeed there are opposing views, people in the evaluation methodology are viewing it
... I would love this discussion to continues
... RDWG could really serve in having this dialogue

SH: what does this mean about the note?

SAZ: this is having higher priority now.

MV: I wonder if this opposing views are delaying the publication of the note

SAZ: no

Mobile Note https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/48

which item is that?

Upcoming catalogue topics https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/52

SH: if there are topics sitting in this area we need to move them forward
... are we going to have these discussions on Wednesday?

SAZ: we had a good turnout and we just got the initial reactions to them. In the augmented reality item, the outcomes indicate that it should be split

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/2014/03/12-rd-minutes.html

SAZ: on the WoT we had some suggestions too..once we have more stable items we can run a survey and select the one which is more appropriate
... it was a good start, there were a couple of comments on the minutes

KM: I'll try to address these comments.

SH: any other business?
... I'll send an email about the WoT workshop

SAZ: there is no restriction if you want to submit your own paper although we also want to have a coordinated submission

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: klaus to bring together WOT in wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/03/26-rd-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: shadi to develop paper from WOT wiki by 16th April [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/03/26-rd-minutes.html#action02]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-04-02 18:39:15 $