W3C

Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

19 Feb 2014

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Simon, Shadi, Giorgio, Markku, David, Vivienne, Justin
Regrets
Silvia, Yehya, Annika, Markel, Yeliz, Klaus
Chair
Simon
Scribe
Giorgio

Contents


https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/44

sh: we're waiting for people to complete the survey until Friday

https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/46

david: this week he will work on it

sh: any comment?

https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/47

shadi: please add also titles in the agenda
... I'm still waiting for feedback.
... I hope in 2 weeks to be done.

markku: met with Gerardo ? and had discussions. Workload is pretty heavy.
... this week I'll have a talk and discuss next steps
... interesting discussions on SVG accessibility; good use cases

shadi: really interesting. glad that you guys are able to do that despite you being so busy.

<sharper_> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Step-by-Step_Guide_for_Symposium_Chairs/Editors

shadi: simon do you have the time table for the sympoosium?

<sharper_> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Symposium_Timeline_Calculator

markku: if we find additional staff helping us do we have to add to the WG?

shadi: if they join then they can more easily access the RDWG resourses, it really depends on you

markku: let's do an update next week

simon: any comments?

https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/48

shadi: one issue is the use of "situational disabilities" vs "sit. limitations", I'd like Shawn to comment that directly
... it's a term being used in different areas, but I think I would prfer the term "sit. limitations" instead of "S.D."

simon: the term situational impairment was the term originally coined

<sharper_> [Sears et al., 2003] Sears, A., Lin, M., Jacko, J., and Xiao, Y. (2003). When Computers Fade...Pervasive Computing and Situationally-Induced Impairments and Disabilities, pages 1298–1302. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale.

shadi: sit. imp. is different than sit. disability, but overall I'm trying to collect all the different comments and then discuss with colleagues on all of them
... in two weeks

https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/53

https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/38

simon: shadi, what do you think we can do here?

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/rdsymposia

shadi: the symposia homepage (including the BC of the RDWG) is the page meant for the public
... if anybody has suggestions on how to improve this page is welcome
... maybe a QR code for this page could help, to disseminate this page

simon: I just made the QR from google and will send it
... when do you want to do this flyer?

david: +1 it's important to show people what we did so far
... we need also something that says "how can I be involved?"; a call-for-action is missing from the page
... we'd like other people to join us and contribute, and this could one way to achieve that
... we want to reduce possible barriers that people can perceive to join/help us

shadi: at the bottom we have something, but I agree with you.
... on the other hand we never rejected anybody and in fact we've invited many experts but there is a balance that we need to maintain wrt w3c criteria/policy
... I will certainly bring this issue back to the group
... also in the page that describes RDWG there is no question "how can I join?" and we might want to address it as well
... group, please let me know what we can do in this regards
... this page shows also next symposia, which might interest them
... shall we wwait a week for feedback?

simon: yes

https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/actions/55

ACTION-55: E2R Look Over Changes E2R Look Over Changes

<trackbot> Notes added to ACTION-55 E2R Look Over Changes.

(sorry: zakim was too proactive in interpreting my typing!)

<shadi> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2014Feb/0018.html

shadi: next step is to make sure that people are ok with this being published as a draft
... I actually need to go over the comments
... have people any comments?

simon: it's ok for me

I did not look at it

<sloandr> seems good to me - but will give it another read to be sure

shadi: without Klaus on the call we really don't feel confortable

simon: let's discuss it next week
... let's make sure that the comments we've got have been addressed satisfactorily
... any other things to discuss today?
... can I give you back 20min so that you can participate to the survey

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-03-06 08:24:45 $