W3C

HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

06 Feb 2014

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
janina, Mark_Sadecki, David_MacDonald, paulc, LJWatson, [IPcaller], chaals, Judy, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, John_Foliot, Suzanne_Taylor, Adrian_Roselli, Cynthia_Shelly
Regrets
Chair
Chaals
Scribe
janina

Contents


<chaals> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Date: 06 February 2014

<scribe> scribe: janina

longdesc status

cn: Mark and C are working on it, making progress

ms: I have a repository for docs setup for this task

cn: Have been generous with late responses to date

DOM4 is last call

cn: Is a Last Call

<chaals> JS: Discussed yesterday in PF (we had concerns relating to DOM3)

<chaals> … so we need to carefully review DOM4 and we have several volunteer reviewers working for 26 feb deadline for PF to bring comments to this TF and the HTML WG

<MarkS> JS: PF has discussed DOM 4 yesterday. We had concerns with DOM 3, so we thought it was worth our time. We have a deadline to review by 26 FEB and will bring feedback to this TF and the HTML WG.

<chaals> … we expect some comments

<chaals> … But we are pleased to say Mutation Events are in the process of being overtaken by IndieUI...

pc: Notes that DOM4 was moved to HTML-WG because it's one of HTML's key dependencies
... We did ask for LC delay to compensate for publication delay

rs: Is there plan to do DOM4 events spec?
... Noting there's DOM3 and DOM3 Events, but not a DOM4 Events, and the topic isn't covered in the DOM4 events

cn: As I recall, DOM3 Events not based on DOM4
... Do expect DOM3 Events to be done in an HTML 5 timeline
... Best look at wiki status page

<chaals> WebApps publication status for their specs

pc: Noting Sec 4.1 of DOM4 is Events

rs: Concerned that SVG not seeing sufficient structural support

cn: Does sound like this is worth reviewing
... If the HTML-WG is needing an urgent resolution, that may not be forthcoming

pc: Suggest look at 9.1
... Wondering whether all the necessary material has been folded into a single spec doc
... Why can't PF send comments directly?

CN: Can. But, TF was set up to deal with a11y issues between PF and HTML

<MarkS> JS: I'm comfortable to reply on list and to submit feedback to HTML and the TF, but the TF's need to review does add a need for additional time.

<paulc> See http://www.w3.org/TR/dom/#goals for the provenance of the DOM4 material.

pc: Suggest PF Chair respond to HTML Chairs on timeline constraints

<chaals> CN: People in the TF are invited to review the spec as fast as possible

Canvas 2D

ms: Noting feedback solicted week previous and were made aware of discussion on Mozilla regardingDrawFocusIfNeeded
... Issue was raised on our list
... Their question on our list caused Google to pull implementation support
... Call this week clarified that people weren't as concerned as it seemed on list
... Mozilla asked for an additional week to explore Hit Regions as an approach
... Case was strongly made for keeping the DrawFocus approach regardless
... And for the divion of labor between L1 and L2
... Expect feedback from Mozilla asap

cn: So, we wait on Mozilla ...

Outstanding bugs

<MarkS> http://is.gd/VkTxop

<MarkS> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13511

<MarkS> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13511

<MarkS> document parsing should discuss setting up accessibility APIs

cn: Noted resolved, needs info.
... Comment was would be taken up by HTML Mappings Guide

js: And move to 5.1

pc: Suggest opening a new 5.1 bug, linking this one for history

<MarkS> Bug 13549 - 4.10.18 associating form elements with forms that do not contain them can cause navigation problems for AT and keyboard users

cn: Q is use cases for associating elements with different forms
... Currently assigned to Cyns, keep it?

cs: Yes

js: A 5.0 issue?

cn: Yes, I think so

cs: Agreed

cn: Urge to catch this one fast

<chaals> 13533

<MarkS> 4.10.6 confusing, seemlingly contradictory text

cn: Question description of label text
... Rejected by editor
... Any takers?
... Is 5.0

cs: Will take

<MarkS> Bug 13560 - dynamic changes to input type attribute may cause problems for accessibilty APIs

<MarkS> Bug 13560 - dynamic changes to input type attribute may cause problems for accessibilty APIs

cn: Waiting on input

cs: Many of these input issues handled in implementation experience and may be OBE

cs; I will check for us

<MarkS> Bug 13566 - use of input type image to send coordinates should be phased out

cs: Will make new bugs for any remaining issues I find
... Suggest close

cn: Can live with that
... Believe WCAG pretty clear on this
... That closes list that Cyns took
... Now looking at bugs JF took up

<MarkS> Bug 8657 - Allow UA to reload fallback content if it fails to load

<JF> will need to deila back in

<JF> *dial

<chaals> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8657 - says subsumbed by http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/152

jf: Believe closed

<paulc> See https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=9452 for references to all the related bugs

pc: Suggests looking at Issue-152

cn: Appears the issue has been dealt with

<MarkS> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12794

<MarkS> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12794

<MarkS> <video> Add a non-normative note on how to provide text alternatives for media elements

jf: Relates to Poster textjs: Was added to ARIA.Next wishlist

jb: Also convinced it's still an important issue

jf: Happy to continue this with ARIA
... Shouts out to Rich about Poster alt in ARIA

<MarkS> -> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12964 <video>: Declarative linking of full-text transcripts to video and audio elements

jf: Issue that only way to link is something visible on screen, no programmatic association available currently

<MarkS> +1 to move to 5.1

<MarkS> Clarify text in media element user interface section

jf: Don't understand this one
... Will follow up

<chaals> ACTION: johnf to follow up https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13273 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/02/06-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Error finding 'johnf'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/users>.

<chaals> ACTION: john to follow up https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13273 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/02/06-html-a11y-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Error finding 'john'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/users>.

<JF> ACTION: JF to follow up https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13273 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/02/06-html-a11y-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Error finding 'JF'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/users>.

<MarkS> Editorial changes to The Video element (5 of 5)

<JF> ACTION: John_Foliot to follow up https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13273 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/02/06-html-a11y-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Error finding 'John_Foliot'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/users>.

<chaals> ACTION: jf to follow up bugs 13435, 13436, 13437, [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/02/06-html-a11y-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Error finding 'jf'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/users>.

cn: Believe we want to keep this one

<chaals> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13275

<MarkS> Bug 13275 - Display of media control UI when scripting is disabled

jf: Believe as much a browser as a spec bug

<MarkS> ACTION: Mark to add JF to TF [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/02/06-html-a11y-minutes.html#action06]

<trackbot> 'Mark' is an ambiguous username. Please try a different identifier, such as family name or username (e.g., msadecki, mwatson2).

<MarkS> ACTION: MarkS to add JF to TF [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/02/06-html-a11y-minutes.html#action07]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-229 - Add jf to tf [on Mark Sadecki - due 2014-02-13].

<paulc> Leaving to Chair the Weekly WG meeting.

jf: Notes many of these issues need to be held for 5.1 consideration

<MarkS> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13434

<MarkS> Media element section does not state that tracks are to be synchronized with video

jf: An editorial request

cn: Believe we can close

jf: Response was that detail handled elsewhere

cyns: Volunteer to take up Kelly Ford's bug

ms: Bug Triage will have special meeting next Wednesday to walk more bugs
... Wednesday 12 February at 13:00 Boston, 18:00Z

<Zakim> MarkS, you wanted to mention special Bug Review meeting next wednesday 2/12

cn: We are adjourned.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: John_Foliot to follow up https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13273 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/02/06-html-a11y-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: MarkS to add JF to TF [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/02/06-html-a11y-minutes.html#action07]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-03-08 20:05:40 $