Web Cryptography Working Group Teleconference

16 Dec 2013

See also: IRC log


markw, +1.617.253.aaaa, +1.617.253.aabb, [Microsoft], virginie, +1.323.425.aacc, Karen, nvdbleek, hhalpin, mountie


<trackbot> Date: 16 December 2013

<jyates> what is the passcode?

<hhalpin> So, people are not having trouble dialing in using the normal code

<hhalpin> however, is anyone on IRC dialing in and having trouble dialing in?

<virginie> yeap, i do

<mountie> I had trouble shortly

<hhalpin> Can you explain what your trouble is precisely?

<hhalpin> Dialing in *before* the telcon will mean the code wont' work :)

<hhalpin> There does seem to be some problems with Zakim, he's not associating the phone properly to the telco

<virginie> which passcode did u use ?

<hhalpin> The same one as normal

<hhalpin> CRYPT

what is the conf code?

<hhalpin> CRYPT

<hhalpin> What happens when you try it?

conf code invalid

<jyates> 27978#

that is what I entered. Will try again

Dec 16th 2013 Web Crypto Call

Got in after the 3rd try

<jyates> aabb is jyates

virginie: agenda: timeline and future work
... may not have technical topic

harry: can you repeat?
... we discussed hosting workshop
... we may need to bring more people on

Virginie: still not have a fixed date from Ryan

<hhalpin> markw - have you had any issues with working on the spec?

Virginie: there is an update of the spec, Dec. 10th

<virginie> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webcrypto-api/raw-file/tip/spec/Overview.html

Virginie: hope to have something after Jan

Harry: we can wait for one more week, otherwise add another editor
... W3C prefer to have at least 2 co-editors

Mark: the only difficult is to get Ryan to say go ahead

Mark - it is difficult to hear you

<hhalpin> Ideally, we would want Ryan on the phone, but we can propose over the mailing list first

<hhalpin> to make sure Ryan is fine with having a co-editor.

Virginie: action - clarify editor status with Mark and Ryan

<markw> (for minutes) I am happy to be co-editor

<hhalpin> Next version we can push off till end of Jan at earliest really

<hhalpin> But given amount of work, it may take till February at least

<hhalpin> I'd like "all hands on deck" to push bugfixes to spec out after Christmas vacation

Virginie: expect to have a spec by Jan 13th

Mark: we can publish with mention of remaining bugs

<hhalpin> There was *lots* of clarifying text!

Virginie: it seems to take too long to clarify bugs

Mark: it is useful to draw up a list, editorial and technical
... it'll be difficult to draw a date for the technical ones

<hhalpin> The issue with Bugzilla and editorial/technical ones seem mixed up - happy to move technical ones back to Issue Tracker if that helps

Virginal: priority list on the call?

Mark: good

<virginie> +1

<israelh> -1

<hhalpin> Some groups meet during winter break, others don't.

<nvdbleek> -1

<hhalpin> It's up to group

<mountie> +1

<markw> -1


<markw> I have a conflict that day

a poll to maintain a call on Dec 30th

Virginie: try to see if Ryan can be there.
... if he cannot make it either, we will cancel
... next one will keep

<hhalpin> Wait a sec, the next meeting is Jan 13th, right?

Virginie: any concern?

<hhalpin> The poll was over Dec 30th, Karen.


<virginie> http://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto/track/actions/64

<virginie> action related to integration of SEED

<trackbot> Error finding 'related'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto/track/users>.

<hhalpin> One idea is we should maintain a wiki of requested algorithms

<hhalpin> Melvin also wanted some ECC curves

Virginie: Mountie - do you have suggestions?

mountie: we are preparing some text

Virginie: that's good. best to proceed is to preparing text
... should we maintain a wiki for requested algorithm?
... while people are pushing algorithms
... we will create a wiki page to track requested crypto algo

<hhalpin> My logic is that while yet another wiki page might not be so fun, we're having a few recommendations for algorithms that aren't uniformly implemented in browsers

harry: Ryan pushed back on algos that are not implemented in browsers.

<hhalpin> ACTION virginie and hhalpin to create a wiki-page for suggested algorithms from mailing lists

<trackbot> Created ACTION-134 - And hhalpin to create a wiki-page for suggested algorithms from mailing lists [on Virginie GALINDO - due 2013-12-23].

virginie: now discuss future work

<hhalpin> (btw, I think ryan pushing back is reasonable!)

<hhalpin> (but we should not lose track of requests for algorithms)

virginie: let's look at where we are on future work

<virginie> Future work wiki : http://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto/wiki/WG_Future_Work

virginie: potential - web payment activity
... no leader for hardware token
... how do you want to be involved in this future work? suggestions?

israel: we are interested in streams.
... in re-org now. by mid Jan, will know

virginie: are couple of people are interested in hardware tokens. Nick would you be interested in?

Nick: cannot commit at this time. may be January

harry: suggestion - if we have interest but have trouble to have people to lead (stream), may be have a workshop in June

<hhalpin> http://www.w3.org/2011/identity-ws/

<hhalpin> in 2011

<hhalpin> workshop

<hhalpin> Does group want to do a workshop to get more energy?

harry: the group must say we are interested in

<hhalpin> Generally, there's about 6 months between a workshop and future work :)

<hhalpin> We would not need a workshop just to add streams

<hhalpin> but we would as regards anything around hardware tokens

israel: the issue seems to be competitive proposals on streams
... webapp needs to have a uniformed proposal
... confusion in webapps' proposal prevents this moving forward

harry: will be happy to push webapps WG
... clarify: workshop on hardware token

<hhalpin> ACTION: hhalpin to press on W3C Team re unified Streams proposal [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/12/16-crypto-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-135 - Press on w3c team re unified streams proposal [on Harry Halpin - due 2013-12-23].

Virginie: propose the scope on the workshop - hardware token, storage?
... write down different topics, submit to the workshop
... Harry can discuss with W3C

Harry: great

Virginie: I will write the scope with Harry and share with the group in Jan
... will reformulate the wiki by priority
... certificate mgmt will be a higher priority
... anything else?
... we will keep this call time at least for the next two

<virginie> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?component=Web%20Cryptography%20API%20Document&product=Web%20Cryptography&resolution=---

virginie: spec needs your support. if you have suggestions for resolving bugs, that'll be great

<hhalpin> thanks everyone!

<hhalpin> Next call Dec 30th unless cancelled

virginie: thanks! talked to you Dec 13th

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: hhalpin to press on W3C Team re unified Streams proposal [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/12/16-crypto-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-12-16 16:48:17 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/a call on Jan 13th/a call on Dec 30th/
Succeeded: s/Next call Jan 13th/Next call Dec 30th unless cancelled/
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: karen_
Inferring Scribes: karen_
Default Present: markw, +1.617.253.aaaa, +1.617.253.aabb, [Microsoft], virginie, +1.323.425.aacc, Karen, nvdbleek, hhalpin, mountie
Present: markw +1.617.253.aaaa +1.617.253.aabb [Microsoft] virginie +1.323.425.aacc Karen nvdbleek hhalpin mountie

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 16 Dec 2013
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2013/12/16-crypto-minutes.html
People with action items: hhalpin

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]