W3C

- DRAFT -

SV_MEETING_TITLE

13 Nov 2013

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Jeff, Jaffe, Brett_Smith, W3C_Systems_Team, Michael, LG, @@Dong_Ping, Huawei, Jason, Samsung, @@C, Boyang
Regrets
Chair
SV_MEETING_CHAIR
Scribe
Brett

Contents


<scribe> scribe: Brett

<scribe> scribenick: brett

Jeff: Possible meeting objectives: explain Headlights and changes for 2014. Hearing your ideas for Headlights. Presenting a couple of my ideas.
... Presented this at AC meeting, but can provide more detail here.
... Always incremental changes in W3C projects, but big changes are more interesting, especially when we don't see them coming.
... It's important to try to foresee those issues as much as possible.
... First headlights was two years ago. Last year's was more intensive.
... Some focused on the Web. We've worked on Web Payments before, but never looked at from a standards framework perspective.
... Result is a workshop for spring 2014.
... HTML5 performance. This has been a source of criticism in the past. Looking at end-to-end issues. Some stem from JavaScript, or best practices.
... Closing the Gap, you heard about from Dom.
... Some headlights look at W3C as an organization. Look at how groups upgrade from CGs to WGs.
... Talked about anniversaries: 25th of Web, 20th of W3C. Probably a big event around TPAC next year.
... Talked about W3C brand: Web site, a dashboard for AC representatives.
... I wrote a blog post with a summary of each project.
... Running Headlights again in 2014.
... We need ideas about what's going to cause change in the future.
... We're looking to reallocate our resources.
... In 2013, Headlights were an internal process. Ideas were nominated by staff, then some Members participated afterward.
... Now we're opening it up to the community earlier. We're starting the search for topics now.
... First we'll gather proposals, then whittle down the list, then decide on action. At June AC meeting, we'll discuss the results, then W3M will assign resources.
... Mailed the AC two weeks ago outlining all this and asking for their ideas.
... We're inviting suggestions on a wiki.
... We can add to the wiki during this breakout.
... Would like to hear your ideas. Otherwise, I'll share a few of mine.
... Eager to jumpstart the process.

Michael: Wondering about relationship between Headlights and HTML5 stabilization.
... Sounds like ideas may lead to new features in hypothetical HTML6 or 7.
... Wondering what kind of cadence we should expect for stabilization of features.

Jeff: HTML5 is on schedule to reach Recommendation in about a year. Features are already frozen.
... Probably no new ideas going into HTML5. Maybe something sufficiently small and important.
... HTML WG is working on a number of extension specifications. Many of them are on track to be part of HTML5.1.
... Anything coming from Headlights would also likely go there.

Michael: When is HTML5.1 expected to be finalized?

Jeff: Goal is 2016. That is much faster than previous releases.
... We'd like to be that fast. HTML4 was 1999. We'll do better, but I'm not sure how much better.

Michael: Headlights topics should be followed up with implementation from browser vendors.
... Can there be such a commitment?

Jeff: Proposal can start anywhere. You ultimately need browser implementation to succeed.
... When we started Web & TV IG, browsers were not very interested. We got them involved by building this traction, with connections within and without W3C. All that was necessary for success.
... We may start work on an idea without browser vendor buy-in at first if we think it's sufficiently important.

Michael: Would Headlights lead to new BGs or IGs in general?

Jeff: Usually yes, but sometimes it takes a while.
... First Headlights started too late, so many projects weren't completed.
... We've only had one successful year. Goal is to generally lead to that formation.
... e.g., Social last year. We're just now starting a Social WG.

Michael: Many SDOs deal with HTML5 to accommodate needs for their business. e.g., HDTV in Europe building their own extensions.
... From their point of view, it's their standard. From W3C's, it's a bit of fragmentation.
... Is it possible to merge this work into core spec in the end? Or is divergence natural?

Jeff: What did Web & TV IG say?
... I think that's the right place to ask.
... Guiseppe would know better than me.
... We have a liaison. On a couple of items, when they've told us their intentions, we've told them our preference that they bring that work to W3C.
... It's an issue, but we are trying to move spec work into W3C.

Dong Ping: Developers use JavaScript to develop 3D graphics on the Web, but it's not very efficient.

scribe: Wondering about status of Declarative 3D CG.

Jeff: CGs are generally not Recommendation track yet, just a group studying the topic.
... We could create a proposal here.

Dong Ping: Would like to see W3C put features in HTML spec to make it easier to create 3D content, akin to CSS animation.

[Jeff walks through the process of adding this idea to the Headlights wiki.]

<scribe> scribenick: jeff

Dong Ping: Bodywear device; wearable device

scribe: Can the web do somthing - small screen device

Jeff: Could be part of Web of things

<brett> 3D support in HTML Headlights proposal

<brett> scribenick: brett

Jeff: I generally prefer to get input from the community, but sometimes I have my own ideas.
... When I do, I write it down, and wait to see if someone else adds it.
... Later on in the process, I'll add any of my own that haven't been covered already.

<jeff> >>> Digital marketing

<jeff> >>> Web of Things

<jeff> >> Next steps on DNT

<jeff> > Securing the Web

<jeff> Impact of HTTP2 on the Web architecture

Jeff: Here's what I'm sitting on right now.
... DNT is just scratching the surface of that issue - what's next in the larger issue?
... I'd prefer to hear from subject matter experts on these issues.

[We revisit the HTML 3D proposal.]

scribe: Feel free to extend, modify, or even delete this proposal.
... It's now linked from the main Headlights wiki.
... Any other proposals?
... Thank you all.

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-11-13 06:50:43 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/@@B/Samsung/
Succeeded: s/IGs/IGs in general/
Succeeded: s/Group/CG/
Succeeded: s/Daoping/Dong Ping/g
Succeeded: s/any/any of my own/
Found Scribe: Brett
Inferring ScribeNick: brett
Found ScribeNick: brett
Found ScribeNick: jeff
Found ScribeNick: brett
ScribeNicks: brett, jeff

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

Present: Jeff Jaffe Brett_Smith W3C_Systems_Team Michael LG @@Dong_Ping Huawei Jason Samsung @@C Boyang

WARNING: No meeting title found!
You should specify the meeting title like this:
<dbooth> Meeting: Weekly Baking Club Meeting


WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Got date from IRC log name: 13 Nov 2013
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2013/11/13-headlights-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report


[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]