W3C

Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

22 May 2013

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Mark, Yehya, David, Simon, Markel, Justin, Shadi, Yeliz
Regrets
Christos, Vivienne, Luz, Klaus, Peter
Chair
Simon
Scribe
Justin

Contents


User Modelling Plans (20m)

<sharper> Distribution Lists http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Distribution_Table_for_UM4A

yeyha: 15th july for online symposium - need to distribute the call to as many people as possible - as has cristos and yehya and luz and klaus

Sharper: as many people as possible to contribute and distribute and add lists - justin and vivienne to distribute in australia

yehya: has a question - are scientific committee members are allowed to submit papers as well?

sharper: yes they are

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Distribution_Table_for_UM4A

sharper: we are just doing the distribution plans for the user modelling lists - could yeliz contribute to some of the,

yeliz: yes i will be doing it in one or two days time

<yeliz> sorry for being late

yeyha: who will be inviting the members to the comm system

sharper: it is the job of the chairs to create the accounts for the users - simon to help on friday afternoon

shadi: open-conf configured by simon before, shadi helped this time as well - please check that everything works ok beforehand and get settings documented

sharper: agrees to documentation - add to list of items to do on the wiki

yehya: i have put my questions forward and ask that everyone distribute widely

sharper: thanks to all involved for pushing this forward ahead of time - good to get it done ahead of time

W4A Debrief (10m)

Markel: w4a was amazing - seriously, was very good papers and submissions and overall quality - lots of rdwg participants - very active participation between the w4a and the 23c and we had dinner and talked a lot and maybe attract new people

sharper: agree with markel and not sure if we are looking to recruit more members, but we had some interest from the ibm people in brazil

<kmatausc> congratulation

<markel> W4A proceedings are located at the ACM Digital library

shadi: thanks to w4a for the rdwg dinner, this is unrelatred to rdwg but i thought the papers in the w4a was of a high quality and how can we make the connections between the w3c and the w4a a little more - just thoughts - maybe the w4a proceedings could be crossed referenced in the rdwg work

<markel> http://dl.acm.org/event.cfm?id=RE143&CFID=218514987&CFTOKEN=52060814

sharper: totally agree - there should be some way of cross referencing and cross pricing / collaboration and markel and yeliz can work it out and get more dissemination working

davidsloan: great to hear the w4a was a success - some idea for formalising the w4a/w3c cross is some special research sessions at the w4a of specific rdwg sessions - the idea of linking of the conference from w4a to rdwg would be good if possible - maybe have a w4a microsite on the rdwg page - all part of our remit for making public the issue of accessibility research

shadi: likes david's ideas - perhaps also see if some of the ideas of the w4a could feed into the rdwg future topics - interaction could go both ways

markel: there could be some cross linking from the w4a and the rdwg

<shadi> +1

yeliz: agrees with all of the above - it would also be good to formalize it otherwise we say it but not do it - perhaps some of the authors of papers in the w4a could be invited into the rdwg to present or participate or as a discussion session

<shadi> +1

davidsloan: every year after the w4a a report is written about the conferecne for the acm news letter - perhaps this could be placed on the rdwg website

Metrics W3C Note Status (5m)

markel: what is the current situation with the metrics

shadi: the editors did a wonderful job on all the comments and the w3c staff contact (me) is to take the next step - put it into the template and checking the publication rules and times - logistical steps on shadi's part

markel: thanks for the update

shadi: explains he did not get to it yet

Mobile W3C Note Status (5m)

<sharper> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/47076/mobile-public-release/

sharper: the mobile note status is that i went through it and made the changes that needed making, mainly camera ready changes - sent out a url to a survey - needs to be completed by next week by the rdwg members

<yeliz> Do I need to respond as well?

<yeliz> I thought as the editor I don't need to respond

<yeliz> :)

shadi to deputise for sharper - the mobile note is ready for comment (people can agree or disagree) - so far only one person has responded - simon believes it is ready to go - everyone needs to respond asap

<kmatausc> ok

<yeliz> OK, I just did

<yeliz> :)

sharper: adding this to the list to refresh people's memories - does anyone have anything they want to say

shadi: is the deadline the 29th of may?

sharper: yes

davidsloan: we have not got any further than our last report but should have more time soon to take it to the next level before sending back to rdwg for discussion

Easy to Read W3C Note Status (5m)

<kmatausc> Hi, can I "talk" now?

<sharper> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/47076/mobile-public-release/

<sharper> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/47076/E2R-Draft/

<sharper> yes please go ahead

sharper: puts up link to survey - peter is also only responder and is happy with it - everyone else needs to comment

<kmatausc> Hi, thx for “listening to me” :) Although addicted to technical matters, I’m a social scientist.

sharper: again, voting required by may 29th

<kmatausc> Additionally thx to Shadi for helping us by publishing the Easy-to-Read symposium report.

<kmatausc> Yes, we received one feedback. We ourselves didn’t answer ;) We would appreciate further notes. Are there critical voices? Did we forget anything? Should we expand any sector?

<kmatausc> Again, you can comment till May 29.

<sharper> Thanks, we are awaiting survey feedback on this due next week

kirsten: requiring more feedback on easy to read

sharper: any further comments on easy to read? no further comments

<kmatausc> Yes, we tried our best but it would be helpful to get more detailed feedback.

<kmatausc> We will collect your feedback, integrate it in the expanded version and will resend it to Shadi. Shadi would you then please publish it again?

sharper: read and comments in survey required - is anyone ok with the survey mechanisms - or is anyone not ok?

<shadi> sure

sharper: any other business?
... next week will be voting on the surveys and completing some outstanding work

shadi: are you confirming you will not be here

sharper: no, shadi to chair for me

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-06-09 11:46:26 $