Site Redesign Task Force

21 May 2013


See also: IRC log


Robin, Kelly


[14:32] <Zakim> On the phone I see Ian, +1.347.908.aaaa, Troy

Site statistics


Q. Do we know the referrers?

…e.g., what are the top 10 referrers


Who links the most to our site (Total links: 74,574,619)

- easy-coding.de

- worldcat.org

- woorank.com

- firmenanzeiger.net

- dbpedia.org

- egovmon.no

- webmastercoffee.com

- onki.fi


- tumblr.com

- bioontology.org

- semanticweb.org

IJ: I will put Dorian in touch with Gerald re: stats

Dorian: DTDs will have referrers on them.

…traffic to DTDs problem

…I bet people curl w3.org to test their http library

Q. How do we redirect people to newer things?

(e.g., Check out HTML5!)

<lcreekmo> q

<bevcorwin> I think that a good content strategy that incorporates a hybrid human (user) and machine (user) with a focus on web accessibility will be a good way to direct and refer users

Laura: I think this is the right line of thinking…what you would want to do from a content perspective is to show a continum.


<bevcorwin> HTML5! Yes!

<bevcorwin> Hi Noreen!

Top pages where search done

2194 http://www.w3.org/

165 http://www.w3.org/standards/

I bet that means they are looking for standards since they didn't see what they wanted

Top links from home page

8689 http://www.w3.org/

2837 http://www.w3.org/standards/webdesign/

1704 http://www.w3.org/standards/

1595 http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/

1223 http://www.w3.org/2009/03/image-display-none/results

I don't know what the last one is!

<bevcorwin> Image readers?

[We discuss that the TR page is not helping people find the commonly needed pieces of informatino]

IJ: Yes, we could pick top 10 specs (html5, html4, css2, wcag 2, ...)

<bevcorwin> Agreed

Noreen: You need to push forward the ones you want them to see as well

HTML5 differences from HTML4


Dorian: Which specs are proper supersets?



<dorian> also: http://caniuse.com/

<bevcorwin> Crowdsourcing w/ MMI is a good match

IJ: We could use a stack overflow approach - crowd-sourcing

<bevcorwin> time dimension in web3D?

<dorian> i personally use xhtml1(.1) + rdfa still

<dorian> because html5 is mostly zzz ;)

IJ: So what do you see going on here via the data?

<bevcorwin> Shari is available to attend next meeting to help with search strategy

Laura: I don't have a firm enough handle of who is coming to the site.

….do we have a large number of casual users who are coming to the site

<bevcorwin> user experience?

…maybe people are using HTML4 while HTML5 is not a standard.

….it would be good to know what traffic comes from what expertise

Dorian: Can we scrub out bots?

…do we have IP info to track?

<bevcorwin> include bots, but in a managed way

<dorian> https://panopticlick.eff.org/

<bevcorwin> Hi Gerald

<bevcorwin> Hi Troy

question for gerald: Do we have IP data we can use to track?

Ger: We have that data, but don't have software to proceed the logs

<bevcorwin> Also, how detailed is IP data?

Dorian: what format is the log?

Gerald: Apache format with a few extra fields we added

Dorian: There are presets like "common" and "combined" (has referred data)

Gerald: I think it's "combined" + extra fields
... How big are the logs per day?

Dorian: 20-30million lines


(Dorian asked; Gerald answered)

Dorian: I wrote a perl script to do something .

<gerald> our apache config for logs:

<gerald> LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-agent}i\" \"%{Cont

<gerald> ent-Type}o\" %v:%p \"%{DNT}i\"" w3_log

<dorian> great thanks

IJ to GO: Notice anything in the logs?

Gerald: Our logs have tons of bogus traffic from bots

<dorian> oops, tapped out

…I tried to omit the noise from the results, but I think the HTML4 pages are still due to bad bots

IJ: Why do you think those are bad bots hitting HTML4?

<dorian> actually i might have to scoot

<gerald> a few days ago I revived our (team-internal) ,stats tool

<dorian> will review when i return

<dorian> thanks everybody

<bevcorwin> thank you Dorian!

<gerald> https://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html,stats

<gerald> [[[

<gerald> Hits User-Agent string

<gerald> 1957 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)

<gerald> 23 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0)

<gerald> 15 -

<gerald> 8 JSpider (http://j-spider.sourceforge.net)

<gerald> ]]]


<gerald> the amount of traffic from that first UA is very unusual, probably one misbehaving bot

Thanks Ger!

IJ: +1 to improving TR page for usability. How do you organize large number of things/

Creating a vision for the new site

When should we start looking at survey data?

Troy: ASAP

<bevcorwin> I can help review survey

<nwhysel> are there known or expected users that should be targeted further before the survey closes?

IJ: I want site to make people feel like they can contribute; welcoming them

Troy: It becomes a great branding asset

<lcreekmo> Big vision thought: The site [from home page on down] clearly shares the mission of the org, directs visitors to standards in a simple way, and makes it easy to get involved.

Troy: Tizen assoc site requires discipline to keep it simple

Get involved

Use web technology

How the web is changing the world

<bevcorwin> Is the analogy of the web is the world's nervous system? If so, what part of the nervous system is the W3C?

<Troy> Sorry, had to drop for another meeting.


Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-05-21 20:34:29 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: Ian
Inferring Scribes: Ian

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Bev Dorian_Taylor Ger Gerald IJ Ian Laura Laura_Creekmore Noreen Troy aaaa aabb also bevcorwin dorian https inserted lcreekmo nwhysel
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Regrets: Robin Kelly
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-site-design/2013May/0023.html

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Got date from IRC log name: 21 May 2013
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2013/05/21-site-design-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]