W3C

- DRAFT -

MLW-LT WG

24 Apr 2013

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Ankit, Des, Jirka, Milan, Pedro, Yves, chriLi, des, felix, leroy, mdelolmo, phil, pnietoca
Regrets
olaf-michael, dave, david, declan, jörg
Chair
felix
Scribe
chriLi, fsasaki

Contents


<fsasaki> agenda at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013Apr/0177.html

its:span

<fsasaki> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt-tests/2013Apr/0026.html

<fsasaki> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt-tests/2013Apr/0030.html

<fsasaki> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt-tests/2013Apr/0031.html

Felix: its:span is currently part of the schema. Jirka has explained why it is not good idea, Yves has explained why it is a good idea.

<Yves_> Never seen its:span used in real life either.

<Yves_> agree with Jirka on the example

Jirka: We could encorporate its:span in the schema, but so far it has been rarely used.

<Yves_> sure

Felix: OK to leave everything as is.

Felix: Partipants of the call accept to not change the status quo for its:span.

Change of regex for allowed characters

<fsasaki> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013Apr/0162.html

<fsasaki> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013Apr/0170.html

<Yves_> yes

<Yves_> no objection to close issue-67

Felix: Pablo and Yves are fine with the proposed change. Everyone else on the call is fine as well.

<fsasaki> close issue-67

<trackbot> Closed ISSUE-67 Change definition of regular expression for allowed characters.

<Yves_> sure

<fsasaki> ACTION: yves to make edit for issue-67 see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013Apr/0170.html [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/24-mlw-lt-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-496 - Make edit for issue-67 see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013Apr/0170.html [on Yves Savourel - due 2013-05-01].

Felix: OK for Yves to do the edit for ISSUE-67.

Felix: General idea is to not hardwire regexp for allowed chars in schema.

HTML translate and HTML5 defaults

<fsasaki> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013Apr/0139.html

<Yves_> yes

Felix: Bottom line is "Definition of HTML5 'translate' and "inline" still unstable but we want to make people aware of its:translate. The idea is to cover HTML5 by means of a non-normative pointer (from a Wiki page)."
... Everyone fine to close issues related to HTML5 "translate" and defaults?

<fsasaki> close issue-97

<trackbot> Closed ISSUE-97 Comment on ITS 2.0 specification WD - HTML translate.

<fsasaki> close-118

No objections in from the call. Felix volunteers to do the corresponding edit.

<fsasaki> ACTION: felix to do edits related to HTML defaults , see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013Apr/0139.html [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/24-mlw-lt-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-497 - Do edits related to HTML defaults , see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013Apr/0139.html [on Felix Sasaki - due 2013-05-01].

Felix: Wiki page that Karl created will be moved to ITS IG Wiki and pointer from spec to it will be created.

Ruby

Felix: Waiting for response from I18N core. Status: Ruby removed from ITS 2.0

Data categories that need mappings in the wiki

<fsasaki> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013Apr/0087.html

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/International/its/wiki/Tool_specific_mappings

Felix: We have a need for a number of mappings
... ITS2XLIFF, locQualityIssue, textAnalysis, ...
... What do people think? Are additional mappings needed?

<fsasaki> ACTION: felix to install the mappings in the IG wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/24-mlw-lt-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-498 - Install the mappings in the IG wiki [on Felix Sasaki - due 2013-05-01].

Felix: Mappings will be stored in IG Wiki

<fsasaki> scribe: fsasaki

christian: when we looked at loc quality issue
... we found the need to include version information
... related to tools that are mentioned in the mapping
... and we said we may benefit from one or two general statements
... that clarify the relationship between native ITS2 support and diverging values
... wonder if we should create a general preface for all mappings

<scribe> scribe: chriLi

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#lqissue-typevalues

<fsasaki> "To foster interoperability, implementers are strongly encouraged not to rely on these mappings and to implement the ITS 2.0 quality types natively."

Felix: Mapping for LocQualityType page has been adapted.

<fsasaki> https://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/track/actions/495

Felix: Arle will add version information for the LocQualityType.
... Not sure if a general note would be adequate.
... translate, and textAnalysis may not lend themselves to be covered natively by ITS
... mapping might be a better choice
... Example: using RDFa with Search Engines is better than using ITS natively (due to the support of RDFa in Search Engine)

ChriLi: OK not to have a general set of remarks for all mappings

Importance of normalization

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#its2-and-unicode-normalization

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-charmod-norm-20120501/#sec-NormalizingTranscoder

Felix: Mini section expresses guidance to use normalization forms
... based on feedback from I18N core

<fsasaki> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2013Apr/0021.html

<fsasaki> scribe: fsasaki

christian: wondering how far normalization is addressed in XLIFF
... we want to ensure that we know how to go from ITS to XLIFF
... or "via" ITS to XLIFF
... knowing in advance which normalization approaches are recommended in both worlds would help
... heard that the XLIFF 2.0 spec will be sent out soon and that it possibly addresses normalizationes normalization
... davidF may have been able to talk about this

<scribe> scribe: chriLi

Phil: David had an action item to draft a spec. David only provided an example.

<Yves_> Sorry: I have not followed the discussion about normalization in XLIFF 2.0. I think that discussion is related to some validation module.

Phil: unsure whether the example included something related to normalization.

<Yves_> sure

<pnietoca> Christian the one that was talking was Phil not me :)

Felix: Yves, could you take an action to check XLIFF 2.0 normalization?

<fsasaki> ACTION: yves to check normalization in XLIFF2 and see wehtehr it relates to ITS2 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/24-mlw-lt-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-499 - Check normalization in XLIFF2 and see wehtehr it relates to ITS2 [on Yves Savourel - due 2013-05-01].

<pnietoca> but Phil is not on IRC just on the phone

XLIFF mapping

<Yves_> not much changes so far

<Yves_> there are still a few data cat that need to be resolved

Felix: Yves, any thoughts on stability of the mapping?

Felix: Should the mapping discussion moved back to the mainstream WG discussion?

<Yves_> probably only XLIFF-related issues.

<Yves_> yes that should be enough

Felix: Dave was hoping to stabilize by Bled f2f

<Yves_> I hope the same

Felix: Stabilization of ITS2XILFF mapping by Bled f2f seems feasible

Ontology

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its/rdf#taIdentRef

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its/rdf-content/its-rdf.rdf

Felix: Dave, Felix and Sebastian create RDF representation of ITS data categories

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its/rdf#translate

Felix: Example: translate

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its/rdf-content/its-rdf.rdf

Felix: Link explains how ontology can be using NIF context
... nothing normative either
... plan also to stabilize by Bled f2f

<fsasaki> scribe: fsasaki

christian: so far the ontology itself or parts of it
... are these already part of the usage scenarios that have been implemented?

<scribe> scribe: chriLi

Felix: So far no one has yet used the ontology.
... Good idea to include something in the usage scenarios
... Sebastian is working on use in dbpedia spotlight

<fsasaki> scribe: fsasaki

<scribe> scribe: fsasaki

<scribe> ACTION: christian to take ITS ontology and NIF conversion into account for the next update of the usage scenarios document - due 2013-05-15 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/24-mlw-lt-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-500 - take ITS ontology and NIF conversion into account for the next update of the usage scenarios document [on Christian Lieske - due 2013-05-15].

<scribe> scribe: chriLi

Meeting schedule

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/wiki/EventSchedule

Felix: Some dates and locations still have to be fixed
... It might be a good idea to combine meetings with outreach (for leveraging efforts)
... Please share possibilities for doing this.

Phil: I submitted a couple of papers (LocWorld, MT Summit) and have talked to a couple of customers. Planning to spread word in customer base.

Felix: We have promised big events in the project.

<Ankit> There is a Projects Village (part of MT Summit).. perhaps MLW-LT as a group can have a stand there?.. just a suggestion

<Ankit> http://www.mtsummit2013.info/projects_village.asp

Pedro: I thought Rome event was big enough. Possibly we can have multiple smaller events rather than an additional big one.
... We may want to think about the life for ITS 2.0 after the rec has been published.

Felix: Of course, we will ensure that we can consult, give guidance
... Possibly: Include pointers to Wiki, mailing lists in presentations

its logo

Felix: Project partners already discussed
... Pedro already made a proposal
... Are people eager to have a logo.

Phil: Good idea

Pedro: I can sent around the proposal. However, we may want to have something that is not tied to MLW.
... Possibly could be used on Web pages/sites to signal "ITS enabled".

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: christian to take ITS ontology and NIF conversion into account for the next update of the usage scenarios document - due 2013-05-15 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/24-mlw-lt-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: felix to do edits related to HTML defaults , see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013Apr/0139.html [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/24-mlw-lt-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: felix to install the mappings in the IG wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/24-mlw-lt-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: yves to check normalization in XLIFF2 and see wehtehr it relates to ITS2 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/24-mlw-lt-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: yves to make edit for issue-67 see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013Apr/0170.html [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/24-mlw-lt-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-04-24 14:16:55 $