W3C

- DRAFT -

Technical Architecture Group Teleconference

04 Apr 2013

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Yehuda, Jeni, Tim, Noah, Yves, Henry, Alex, Anne
Regrets
Marcos
Chair
Noah
Scribe
Anne

Contents


<JeniT> trackbot, start telcon

<trackbot> Date: 04 April 2013

<timbl> brb

<timbl> b

<scribe> scribenick: annevk

Agenda

Noah: Lets go through F2F actions and then through the TAG's backlog
... For those in the backlog we may want to go through them and indicate whether we'll be working on them or that they should not expect an update.
... The next call will be in two weeks.

<noah> Alex will scribe on 18 April

<noah> No regrets for the 18th

Noah: Another administrative item was a request for a calendar feed

<noah> Calendar: https://cal.csswg.org/public.php/tag/calendar.ics

Noah: this is experimental, set up by plinss
... I'll do the updates, you can pull out of it
... TAG F2F in London coming up, start thinking about travel

<noah> Reminder, please put ACTION-XXX in subject or body of your emails

Noah: beware of cross-posting ACTION- to other lists as there's no namespacing

[no namespacing, how can this be!]

Actions

JeniT: I'd like to postpone my action

<noah> ACTION=790?

<noah> ACTION-790?

<trackbot> ACTION-790 -- Jeni Tennison to do new Editor's Draft of fragids spec for approval to publish as CR -- due 2013-04-16 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/790

<noah> ACTION-791?

<trackbot> ACTION-791 -- Alex Russell to redraft proposed "status" section that TAG is suggesting for Polyglot -- due 2013-03-27 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/791

<noah> NM: Has discussion converged?

Yehuda: it seems there were two points
... Larry thought Alex' use cases were too narrow and I had mentioned another use case worth mentioning
... It seemed people were talking past each other via email

<ht> sorry, but I've been busy -- I'd like to review the emails before discussing

Yehuda: easiest would be for Alex to reply to those emails

<noah> OK, Henry

Yehuda: Both Larry and I wanted to expand your wording

Alex: Yes that works for me

Noah: bump due date?

Alex: yes

<noah> ACTION-791?

<trackbot> ACTION-791 -- Alex Russell to redraft proposed "status" section that TAG is suggesting for Polyglot -- due 2013-04-16 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/791

<slightlyoff_> *finally*. Sorry 'bout that

Noah: anything else on Polyglot?

[silence]

<noah> ACTION-793?

<trackbot> ACTION-793 -- Anne van Kesteren to draft disclaimer text for Authoritative Metadata -- due 2013-04-05 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/793

<noah> Anne: Just updated due date, will do it tomorrow.

[Discussing details of note formatting.]

<noah> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/mime-respect-20060412

<timbl> It is better to work in the CVS space than to have it at your own private site

Noah: use a date in the URL
... Yehuda, any update on F2F minutes?

Yehuda: one flight away

TAG backlog

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/open

Noah: The TAG used its own issue tracking system that had shortnames. That explains errorHandling-20 and such.
... The first six or so years of the TAG it used issues to drive its agenda.
... And looked at aspects of them, e.g. error handling in HTML vs XML.
... Larry expressed frustration with this process and so we created product pages to have a more overarching goal of what we're working towards.

<noah> ISSUE-34?

<trackbot> ISSUE-34 -- XML Transformation and composability (e.g., XSLT,XInclude, Encryption) -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/34

Noah: Lets go through the issues and see which we can close.
... Processing model of XML. Is there any interest in this?

<ht> xmlFunctions-34

Tim: I'm happy to do things with XML. This came from when we're talking about XML was processed. The meaning from XML has to be taken outside-in. Otherwise you cannot create new XML specifications that interweave with what exist.
... Not clear people noticed that.

<noah> I note that traceker has several status codes we can assign, including OPEN, PENDING, REVIEW, POSTPONED, and CLOSED.

Tim: Henry did a lot more work on that. I don't feel we need to put a whole lot of energy into XML at all. JSON is the new way for me. It's much more straightforward.

<noah> Suggestion: if we think this is now resolved or uninteresting, CLOSE it; if we think it's interesting but not now, then POSTPONED?

Tim: We need another concept besides OPEN/CLOSED. Something like NOT WORKING ON IT.

Noah: It has POSTPONED.

Tim: POSTPONED expresses a feeling of guilt. But there's no guilt.

Noah: It's close enough and I'm not looking forward to changing Tracker.

<Zakim> ht, you wanted to add 0.02USD

Henry: I'm happy to move this to the backburner. I think there's a genuine issue here and of interest to the community but I don't have the bandwidth.

Noah: We need to tell ourselves a story as to what these codes mean.
... Historically we used CLOSED for "it's in pretty good shape".

Henry: I'm happy with POSTPONED and it's better than CLOSED.

<noah> . PROPOSED RESOLUTION: We mark issue xmlFunctions-34 POSTPONED

PROPOSED RESOLUTION: We mark ISSUE-34 (xmlFunctions-34) POSTPONED

<slightlyoff_> +1 for postponing

<noah> RESOLUTION: We mark issue xmlFunctions-34 POSTPONED

<JeniT> +1

RESOLUTION: We mark ISSUE-34 (xmlFunctions-34) POSTPONED

<slightlyoff_> I think this is important, thanks for doing it noah

<noah> ISSUE-35?

<trackbot> ISSUE-35 -- Syntax and semantics for embedding RDF in XHTML -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/35

<noah> RDFinXHTML-35

Noah: I think it's important going through these.
... even though it's somewhat boring to do our due diligence and set expectations.
... I think people were pretty happy with the progress Jeni made here.

<noah> Propose to CLOSE this one.

PROPOSED RESOLUTION: We mark ISSUE-35 (RDFinXHTML-35) CLOSED

<JeniT> +1

<slightlyoff_> +1

RESOLUTION: We mark ISSUE-35 (RDFinXHTML-35) CLOSED

<noah> RESOLUTION: The TAG closes issue RDFinXHTML-35, believing that good answers have been developed

<noah> ACTION: Jeni to draft text on closing of issue RDFinXHTML-35 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/04-tagmem-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-794 - Draft text on closing of issue RDFinXHTML-35 [on Jeni Tennison - due 2013-04-11].

<noah> ISSUE-46?

<trackbot> ISSUE-46 -- Impact of changes to XML 1.1 on other XML Specifications -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/46

<slightlyoff_> +1

<ht> +1

PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Mark ISSUE-46 (xml11Names-46) CLOSED because it has been dealt with.

RESOLUTION: Mark ISSUE-46 (xml11Names-46) CLOSED because it has been dealt with and time has passed.

<noah> close ISSUE-46

<trackbot> Closed ISSUE-46 Impact of changes to XML 1.1 on other XML Specifications.

<noah> close ISSUE-35

<trackbot> Closed ISSUE-35 Syntax and semantics for embedding RDF in XHTML.

<noah> ISSUE-47?

<trackbot> ISSUE-47 -- WS-Addressing SOAP binding & app protocols -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/47

<noah> Issue description:

<noah> "In a nutshell, it [

<noah> WS-Addressing - SOAP Binding ] requires that the URI in the "Address" component of a WS-Addressing EPR be serialized into a wsa:To SOAP header, independent of the underlying protocol. IMO, a Web-architecture consistent means of doing this would be to serialize it to the Request-URI when using SOAP with HTTP, or the "RCPT TO:" value when using SOAP with SMTP, etc.."

<JeniT> must have been overtaken by events, surely

<timbl> close

PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Mark ISSUE-47 (endPointRefs-47) CLOSED because we cannot affect this.

<noah> ACTION: Noah to draft text on closing of ISSUE-46 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/04-tagmem-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-795 - Draft text on closing of ISSUE-46 [on Noah Mendelsohn - due 2013-04-11].

<noah> NM: Even the WS community is not using Endpoint References.

<noah> NM: Even the WS community is not using Endpoint References?

<noah> YL: That's my understanding

PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Mark ISSUE-47 (endPointRefs-47) CLOSED because we cannot affect this and code has either been deployed or is dead.

<slightlyoff_> SGTM

<Yves> +1

<JeniT> +1

<slightlyoff_> +1

RESOLUTION: Mark ISSUE-47 (endPointRefs-47) CLOSED because we cannot affect this and code has either been deployed or is dead.

<noah> close ISSUE-47?

<trackbot> Closed ISSUE-47 WS-Addressing SOAP binding & app protocols.

Noah: Yves, can you draft text to post to the community?

Yves: sure thing

<noah> ISSUE-61?

<trackbot> ISSUE-61 -- URI Based Access to Packaged Items -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/61

<noah> Description: "

<noah> The TAG opened an issue, uriBasedPackageAccess-61 [1] to consider URI based access and reference to items within a web accessible package. In addressing a more general problem the TAG expects to cover the requirements of the WAF community who have requested help wrt to their current work on widgets [2] as well other situations that involve reference within and into packaged structures on the

<noah> web."

<JeniT> I don't know but this looks like it could still be interesting

Anne: SysApps is the new group that works on stuff like this, I think
... there's an app:// URL thingie

<noah> I agree, I just wanted us to look because I knew that the original issue arose from concerns about a particular component technology that I believe is no longer moving ahead. I agree that it's reasonable to keep the issue open.

Tim: Certainly with a zip file you want to get bits out of it.

Jeni: Coming from the Open Data angle is that we have really big data files, zip them up, and still reference bits inside of it.

Anne: There's different use cases. One is about locally referencing a file. The other one is referencing a file from the outside.

Tim: it would be nice if they could be treated consistently.

Noah: issues track several things usually

Anne: I think they are orthogonal, but I suspect we won't work on it much

<JeniT> looking at http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/#zip-relative-paths

Noah: Okay, lets keep it open, and if we later get more information we can add it to and revisit it

http://appuri.sysapps.org/

<JeniT> this is stuff marcosc is working on

Tim: can you add that link to ISSUE-61 Anne?

Anne: done

Pending review actions

<noah> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/pendingreview

Noah: I think these can be closed

<slightlyoff_> +1 to closing the action

<noah> close ACTION-741

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-741 Check with Norm Walsh on closing out HTML/XML unification work.

<noah> ACTION-782?

<trackbot> ACTION-782 -- Noah Mendelsohn to schedule F2F discussion of polyglot, the TAG's request to HTML WG on polygot, and HTML/XML Unification -- due 2013-03-01 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/782

<noah> close ACTION-782

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-782 schedule F2F discussion of polyglot, the TAG's request to HTML WG on polygot, and HTML/XML Unification.

<slightlyoff_> +1

<noah> ACTION-785?

<trackbot> ACTION-785 -- Noah Mendelsohn to schedule discussion of developer involvement/outreach at F2F -- due 2013-03-04 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/785

<slightlyoff_> I think this should be extended

<slightlyoff_> can we assign marcosc?

<slightlyoff_> hate to volunteer him

<noah> close ACTION-785

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-785 schedule discussion of developer involvement/outreach at F2F.

<noah> ACTION: Marcos to develop new ideas for improved synergy with and outreach to the developer community - Due: 2013-05-20 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/04-tagmem-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-796 - Develop new ideas for improved synergy with and outreach to the developer community - Due: 2013-05-20 [on Marcos Caceres - due 2013-04-11].

<noah> ACTION-796?

<trackbot> ACTION-796 -- Marcos Caceres to develop new ideas for improved synergy with and outreach to the developer community -- due 2013-05-20 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/796

<noah> ACTION-787?

<trackbot> ACTION-787 -- Alex Russell to solicit informal discussion on HTML WG list of clarifying: polyglot doesn't restrict html5 futures -- due 2013-02-25 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/787

<slightlyoff_> it was me

<noah> close ACTION-787

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-787 solicit informal discussion on HTML WG list of clarifying: polyglot doesn't restrict html5 futures.

Alex: I solicited that feedback privately, no follow up

Noah: all pending review actions are dealt with

<noah> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/overdue?sort=owner

<slightlyoff_> curious to know if we want to keep pursuing http://www.w3.org/wiki/TagIssue57Proposal27

Noah: overdue actions is a permathread

<slightlyoff_> thanks

Alex: I'm curious to know what happens to actions assigned to outgoing TAG members

Noah: I think it's my task to sort out these overdue actions with outgoing TAG members and then come back to the TAG

<noah> ADJOURNED

Noah: I propose to adjourn the call. Please keep me up to date with requests for the meetings. That'd be very helpful.

RRSAgent: make minutes

<noah> Anne, please check in formatted minutes if you can, else send me HTML and I'll check it in/.

<noah> Tnx

<noah> https://www.w3.org/2001/tag/coordination/TAGGuide.html#scribing

RRSAgent: draft minutes

RRSAgent: make minutes

RRSAgent: make minutes

<scribe> scribe: Anne

RRSAgent: make minutes

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Jeni to draft text on closing of issue RDFinXHTML-35 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/04-tagmem-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Marcos to develop new ideas for improved synergy with and outreach to the developer community - Due: 2013-05-20 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/04-tagmem-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Noah to draft text on closing of ISSUE-46 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/04-tagmem-minutes.html#action02]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-04-04 18:16:32 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.137  of Date: 2012/09/20 20:19:01  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Henri/Henry/
Succeeded: s/the meeting/the meetings/
Succeeded: s/AVK/Anne/
Found ScribeNick: annevk
Found Scribe: Anne
Default Present: +1.718.877.aaaa, ht, JeniT, wycats_, annevk, TimBL, noah, Yves, Alex
Present: Yehuda Jeni Tim Noah Yves Henry Alex Anne
Regrets: Marcos
Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/04/04-agenda
Found Date: 04 Apr 2013
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2013/04/04-tagmem-minutes.html
People with action items: jeni marcos noah

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.


[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]