W3C

W3C Site Redesign Task Force

01 Apr 2013

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Bev Corwin, Robin Ginn, Michael Nieling, Laura Creekmore, Kelly McCarthy, Aaron Gustafson, Dorian Taylor
Regrets
Troy Allison, Noreen Whysel
Chair
Ian Jacobs
Scribe
Ian

Contents


<bevcorwin> Hello

<dorian> one moment, feeding skype

:)

<dorian> kind of surprised the w3c didn't spring for a teleconf service

-> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-site-design/2013Mar/0003.html Agenda

-> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2013/SiteRedesign home page for the project

Introductions around the table

<bevcorwin> Dorian - are you going to dial in to the call?

intros:

Ian Jacobs

Bev Corwin

-> https://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=61899&public=1 Participants list

scribe: lots of experience in web application development, also interest in w3c

<dorian> like i said bev, feeding skype because i don't want to pay 40c/min or whatever it is

Robin Ginn (MS)

<dorian> canada

Michael Nieling

Laura Creekmore

scribe: Creek Content (Nashville)...content strategy and info architecture...mostly in health care space

Kelly McCarthy

scribe: Easy Designs

<dorian> thanks ian that's good to know for future ref

scribe: helping with project management
... getting Phase I off the ground

http://www.w3.org/2001/12/zakim-irc-bot -> bot instructions

<bevcorwin> Dorian I'll try to add you from here.

"q+"

Minutes to be public

Dorian Taylor

Minutes will be public

Background and draft goals for this project

http://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2013/SiteRedesign#Phase_I

Phase I

http://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2013/SiteRedesign#Phase_I

webplatform.org

http://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2013/SiteRedesign#Goals

IJ: Anything else in the goals section?

Laura: +1 to content strategy development as a goal

dorian: Would you consider the main product of the site to be the tech reports?

Products:

* specifications

* venue (memberships, community groups, menu of groups)

* testing resources (increasingly) .....another site?

* web developer resources -> webplatform.org

* validator.w3.org

* a little training

* html5 logo

dorian: I was mostly thinking about the temporality of resources on a site.
... e.g., the TRs are supposed to persist across time
... persistent artifacts
... also a question of digestable chunks

<lcreekmo> I think it will be interesting to see what your research says about the audiences and how they view W3C/and the site. One big opportunity I see looking in from outside is potential to make your resources more accessible, and to more easily direct people to the place they need to be.

mailing lists

--> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2013Mar/0158.html random page

Laura: I thought your list of products and services as an org is useful
... will be useful to see the brand research

<dorian> (for the IAI mailing lists I'm considering putting them on the web as SIOC in RDFa)

Laura: What we want to share v. what audiences want to find

<Zakim> Ian, you wanted to talk about brand research

<Kelly> also actual usage stats

http://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2013/SiteRedesign#Notes_on_Preliminary_Qualitative_Brand_Research

<dorian> the w3c presents as an interested party, but the interest is benevolent (i.e. TBL)

<dorian> (re that disconnect with developers, the xhtml2 vs html5 schism probably didn't help)

Kelly: Looking at brand research ... has anyone in the branding team looked at "brand research" v. "organizational vision"?

<dorian> early on in my career, my view of the w3c was like the Chinese proverb "the mountain is high and the emperor is far away"

<dorian> (~15 years ago)

IJ: Should we write down some of the org vision bits in the wiki?

Kelly: Yes
... important to have that as a touch point for other work.

<bevcorwin> where is the best org vision page?

Ian...Stewardship is an important issue where we straddle various topics

Robin: Visual identity do we have from a governance perspective.

IJ: Not much in the way of rules

<bevcorwin> A no rules rule?

<dorian> the favicon looks like an inkling of new design

http://www.w3.org/html/logo/

http://www.w3.org/wiki/ModernGuide

<lcreekmo> Wow. Useful stuff, especially with the kind of organization that you are/want to be.

Topics: W3C audiences/users and their needs

Analytics

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/privacy-statement-20000612

<lcreekmo> wooooooow.

<dorian> i assume you keep apache logs? :)

<dorian> because i did this a while back, just from apache logs: http://doriantaylor.com/visualizing-paths-through-the-web

<lcreekmo> From one perspective, that's really lovely. But it would be even better if we could figure out a privacy-sensitive way to do analytics. Wouldn't that be a great benefit to the whole community?

IJ: I will keep you posted
... What should we do with analytics......and non-analytics?

<bevcorwin> enterprise search?

<dorian> yeah, $GOOG webmaster tools

<AaronGustafson> Google Webmaster Tools

<AaronGustafson> jinx

<bevcorwin> lol

<dorian> heheh

IJ: Custom / enterprise search?

<bevcorwin> sorry for speaking out of queue. lol

<scribe> ACTION: Ian to add explicitly search strategy and relation to analytics to wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/01-site-design-minutes.html#action01]

<AaronGustafson> Alexa: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/w3.org

IJ: Surveys?
... Interviews?

<bevcorwin> Both

Robin: I sent informal email within MS about this

+1 to both set of base questions and open questions

http://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2013/SiteRedesign#W3C_Audiences

<bevcorwin> Stakeholders mappings internal / external / etc.

<bevcorwin> Has anyone w/ W3C created a standards library w/ taxonomy, etc., of all the standards out there like the programmable web's API library?

<dorian> reference implementations of specs, examples etc

<dorian> have you considered allocating parcels of a couple grand apiece to designers to do demos

<dorian> ?

<dorian> designers and developers i should say

<lcreekmo> ouch.

<bevcorwin> I like "good enough practices" lol

<Kelly> Just a remainder that we have ~8 mins remaining. :)

<bevcorwin> Any research available for performance metrics?

<lcreekmo> Ugh, bless your heart. :)

<dorian> everybody is so polite

Laura: It does sound like there's a decent body of work that needs to happen
... it sounds like good thinking on starting point..and what challenges and limitations are.
... they are useful to us

<bevcorwin> Indeed

Laura: there are lot of good questions to ask...now it seems to me a matter of prioritization...and talking to audiences

<bevcorwin> To the how - suggest asking if we can enable insiders to present questions, surveys, etc. and coordinate with us.

IJ: Insider survey? External survey?

bevcorwin: We can get some of the audience reps to help with questions, surveys.
... ask, e.g., a chair to see if chair interested in identifying questions, sitting in on an interview or two

IJ: Ok for internal, what about external?

bevcorwin: What about community groups?

+1

<dorian> can we get those figures minuted?

<dorian> or a link

<dorian> :)

IJ: 2500 individuals
... 933 non-members
... 173 members

bevcorwin: We could also tap into organizations (IAI)

iJ: +1 to w3c member developer communities
... We are also redesigning cg site

<dorian> business ecosystem

<dorian> (<=> inventory of stakeholders)

bevcorwin: Do you have audiences classed out?

Ian: No

http://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2013/SiteRedesign#W3C_Audiences

<dorian> e.g. http://doriantaylor.com/file/iai-postcard-recto;scale=500,316

<scribe> ACTION: Bev to suggest how to flesh out audiences / stakeholders [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/01-site-design-minutes.html#action02]

Kelly: Let's schedule next teleconf...and find actions / questions we want to answer.

IJ: for assets..please add to wiki your notes
... For next time...please think about how Phase I should go

<scribe> ACTION: Robin to write down baseline questions for (1) chairs and (2) members generally for internal interviews/survey within the membership [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/01-site-design-minutes.html#action03]

<AaronGustafson> I am happy to help review

<AaronGustafson> for external

<dorian> will review as well

<scribe> ACTION: Ian to work with Bev on set of questions for external audiences to give feedback. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/01-site-design-minutes.html#action04]

<Kelly> me too

Next meeting

Constraints?

bevcorwin: not Mondays

<dorian> likewise; Mondays are mental

<dorian> i would say standing constraint not earlier than 8am pst

<lcreekmo> all depends on the day for me. I'm flexible...

Proposed: 1pm ET on 9 April

(Tuesday, 9 April)

<lcreekmo> that works

<dorian> that should be fine

And then 23 April same time: 1pm ET

<lcreekmo> same time? that works on 4/23.

<dorian> ok

<bevcorwin> dates are ok

<Kelly> maybe a doodle poll so we can maybe pick up some of the folks not on this call

<scribe> ACTION: Kelly to propose doodle poll suggesting other times for those not on call. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/01-site-design-minutes.html#action05]

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Bev to suggest how to flesh out audiences / stakeholders [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/01-site-design-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Ian to add explicitly search strategy and relation to analytics to wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/01-site-design-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Ian to work with Bev on set of questions for external audiences to give feedback. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/01-site-design-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: Kelly to propose doodle poll suggesting other times for those not on call. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/01-site-design-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Robin to write down baseline questions for (1) chairs and (2) members generally for internal interviews/survey within the membership [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/01-site-design-minutes.html#action03]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-04-01 20:33:33 $