W3C

Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

20 Feb 2013

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Markel, Shadi, Annika, Simon, Yehya, Christos, Vivienne, Luz, Dave, Justin, Mark
Regrets
Yeliz, Giorgio, Klaus, Silvia
Chair
Simon
Scribe
Justin

Contents


Metrics W3C Note Status (5m)

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2011/metrics/note/ED-metrics-20121114.html

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2011/metrics/note/comments-20120830

<shadi> http://services.w3.org/htmldiff?doc1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FTR%2F2012%2FWD-accessibility-metrics-report-20120830%2F&doc2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FWAI%2FRD%2F2011%2Fmetrics%2Fnote%2FED-metrics-20121114.html

shadi puts up edited drafts of ED metrics

simon asks markel to go through changes or whatever suites

shadi gives some options as how to process the edited versions

simon asks markel to go through the main comments for ~10 minutes or so

markel thinks the most efficient way is to go through each comment of each author

simon asks if we need to clode the 'open' status and if people will be commenting back to the open items

shadi says yes, it is best practice and that people should responde to each comment (probably comment by comment)

shadi feels that perhaps only discussing the comments defined as 'necessary'

shadi says we need to agree on the responses to the comments

simon says it should go out to the emai list rather than getting bogged down in this meeting - simon to send out email asking if which items need comment - aka 'out of scope'

markel says that maybe this documents can be use as a response to the authors - sometimes the context may be lost - as comments do not line up with the document contents

shadi agree with markel - says we send a collective email as to 'how we respond to your comments' - the 'out of scope' comments need further explanation

markel agrees with shadi and that the 'out of scope' needs explaining

simon to send out email looking for comments on the responses to be sent from the group

Mobile W3C Note Status (5m)

simon says progress is being made on mobile note

no comments re mobile note

Text Customisation W3C Note Status (5m)

no comments on text customisation note

Easy to Read W3C Note Status (5m)

silvia sends regrets

klaus is not well and will be moving forward item 5 in a couple of weeks

shadi - have we got timelines on item 5

simon checks email archives to see what klaus has said - 'going to work on it after csun' (next week)

Next Topics to the WAI CG (10m)

simon discusses the coordination group and will be meeting them tonight - sent through the topics - (asks shadi if it is open to everyone) - shadi says no

<sharper> At last weeks RDWG meeting we decided to take forward three topics:

<sharper> User Modelling

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/User_modelling

<sharper> Haptics and Smart Images

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Smart_Images

<sharper> Accessible Notification

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Accessible_Notifications

<sharper> And we would now like to discuss these with the CG including their order

<sharper> - and timelines.

<sharper> In addition, are there any candidates the CG thing may be more useful:

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Research_Topics#Proposed_Research_Topics_.28in_Chronological_Order_of_Creation.29

<sharper> Finally, we are also looking to discuss Developing Regions (with the new

<sharper> India community group) and also accessible annotations (with the new

<sharper> open annotations community group). Indeed, could we move these two along

<sharper> in parallel to each other and our own work with some oversight by us but

<sharper> with editors from these community groups?

simon adds list of topics

markhu making adding content a priority

simon discusses the three topics selected last week

simon says we will soon have an idea of what topic will be focussed on in the upcoming symposia

simon says no further comments on the topics (against at least)

markhu discusses smart images and haptics and the sort of tie in between the topics

RDWG F2F at W4A 2013 (10m)

vivienne proposes meeting of RDWG group at W4A 2013 and pehaps get some work done together face to face

markel thinks this idea should go through the general chair of the W4A

<Luz> I will be in Rio one month before W4A, so I offer to help in anything your need, such as local issues.

<Vivienne> I'm happy to help in any way that I can

<sharper> Ackshadi

Dave agrees that such an event should take place, as organised by the general chairs

shadi supports informal gathering, but does not want to add the the workload of the general chairs - question of whether there will be sufficient people to have a F2F and maybe find rooms to accomodate the group

shadi suggests survey to find out who is going

shadi feels there are multiple deliverables that we could work on as a group in a F2F meeting

shadi to put up a WBS

<Vivienne> yup

<Vivienne> yes he is

<Luz> Yes

<Luz> I will be there before

<Luz> so i can help

<christos> unfortunately... no

<markel> Giorgio should be going too

shadi asks if W4A is 3 days this year

simon says that perhaps thursday woud be a good day to meet

<DaveS> I would support the proposal of a F2F meeting on Thursday after W4A

markel wonders if we can squeeze the meeting into the wednesday of the W4A

simon proposes smaller meetings of part time wednesday and thursday

shadi says 2 full days gets better work done

simon says that the sruvey should cover the options that people prefer for the meeting

simon raised layout and styles but shawn not available

any other business raised

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-02-20 17:20:04 $