Independent User Interface Task Force Teleconference

06 Feb 2013


See also: IRC log


Janina_Sajka, Jason_White, Shawn, +1.408.423.aaaa, hober, Michael_Cooper, Rich, Andy_Heath, Katie_Haritos_Shea, James_Craig


<trackbot> Date: 06 February 2013

<janina> Meeting: IndieUI Task Force Teleconference

<janina> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-indie-ui/2013Feb/0000.html

<janina> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/indieui-draft.php

<richardschwerdtfeger> what is the call-in passcode?

<janina> yrich, passcode is 46343#

<janina> scribe: jason_white

Telecon Time Settled!

Janina confirmed the regular meeting time of 2200Z and noted increased participation sparked by publication of the events module.

Illustration Feedback for EOWG

<shawn> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/indieui-draft.php

Feedback requested on draft illustrative image of IndieUI Events; User Contexts may come later.

Shawn hopes alt text is sufficient, but happy to provide additional description for discussion here.

Comments from participants regarding the illustration itself are generally favourable.

Query from Shawn as to wehther scrolling with a keyboard should be added to the illustration.

Discussion of appropriate use of "assistive technologies" and "users' needs and preferences" in the illustration.

Agreement: to employ the term "users' needs and preferences" as this is standard vocabulary.

User Module Update

Referring to the document circulated on list: needs/preferences based on Access for All spec.

The needs/preferences are expressed as token values and refinements thereof, allowing an application to make the best match to the user's requirements.

Certain values are mutually inconsistent and there are issues of error handling to be addressed.

Properties are defined in terms of modalities (e.g., auditory).

<MichaelC> Proposed Set of Needs/Preferences for v1 (view attachment)

Examples are in section 1.2.1.

The application determines a best fit to the asserted needs/preferences based on the customizations possible on the platform, for example.

Examples: captions and long descriptions of visual media.

It is suggested that vibration examples for mobile devices should be added to this section.

Sign language tracks may be used as alternatives to text.

Example - visual for textual: illustrative diagrams may complement textual material.

Clarification: in section 1.3.11 of document.

An issue arises of whether a precedence order should be definable among the needs/preferences.

Vibration illustrates tactile for auditory substitution.

Language adaptation: a preference for a natural language can be given - especially important in educational contexts.

hazards: flashing, flicker, etc., can be controlled; similarly for motion suppression and auditory stimuli.

Section 1.3.20: simple presentation, e.g., allows a desktop application to deliver the interface that would be presented to mobile devices, and which is simpler than the default desktop interface.

Extensibility of the vocabulary is not yet addressed in this document. Also missing is a vehicle for notification when one of the need/preference values changes.

The purpose of the document was to make the vocabulary as small and concise as possible; much work remains to be done.

This vocabulary represents the core of the personalization seen in educational contexts, derived from extensive work in this area.

<janina> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-indie-ui/2013Feb/0026.html


Janina refers to an issue raised on the mailing list of how this work relates to the direction taken in ongoing browser development.

Suggests that the list of preferences can be seen as a list of preferences which are meaningful in current implementations and that some items may need to be deferred to a later version depending on implementation support.

Jason clarifies that the question raised on the list is how the UA receives the needs/preferences from the user/platform, whether via a protocol/API or via the UI and that there are significant issues to be resolved here.

Rich suggests taht the preferences be gathered via the browser and that there may be innovative solutions developed for mobile devices. Preferences may be configured in the device - initial data may be retrieved from a server, e.g., GPII (Global Public Inclusive Infrastructure).

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to talk about planning v.next early on so we can prioritize and defer

Michael: notes that concerns have been expressed regarding scope creep and capabilities that may need to be deferred to a post-1.0 version.

James notes that many of the needs/preferences specified in the document are not currently implemented in operating systems and that mechanisms are needed to collect the information and disclose it via this module.

<Ryladog> KHS: Been following this work for many year, has been mostly implemented through metedata that points to resources. It will be complex trying to implement this in the spec, but it is the essense of what users do need and therefore completely relevant to WAI and IndieUI

There is an issue of whether API-level changes in operating systems are needed/desired.

Rich notes that some requirements, e.g., simplification, are not dependent on the operating system but rather on the application.

Jason suggests that the operating system dependency may occur in the collection/establishment of needs and preferences but that the module's purpose is to allow the Web application to satisfy those user needs/preferences. Hence the OS need not be involved in satisfying needs/preferences but may play a role (outside the scope of the specification, perhaps) in how they are collected, ultimately from the user.

Michael summarizes: the proposal has been introduced and its scope discussed; he recommends continuation of this discussion on the list, including the question of scope as applied to the user contexts spec.

He proposes to instigate further scope discussion on the list and the agenda for future meetings.

Editor's Update

James: no updates.

Open Issues https://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/actions/open

<MichaelC> Open Actions

James indicates that the current priority is to work on user contexts rather than Events issues.

<MichaelC> close action-18

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-18 Summarize important or common preferences/keys list from AfA/APIP/GPII, etc. and send to the IndieUI group for discussion and potential inclusion in the User Context deliverable..

Action 18 closed by posted document (discussed earlier in meeting).

<trackbot> Error finding '18'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/users>.

<scribe> ACTION: 32 to left open - needs clarification from earlier minutes. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/02/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Error finding '32'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/users>.

<MichaelC> Open Issues

Michael enumerates open issues, noting that they should be classified by product in future meetings.

Michael proposes to instigate activity on these issues.

Michael recommends continuing discussion on list.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: 32 to left open - needs clarification from earlier minutes. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/02/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-02-06 23:05:02 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.137  of Date: 2012/09/20 20:19:01  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/but may be improved./but happy to provide additional description for discussion here./
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: jasonjgw
Found Scribe: jason_white
Default Present: Janina_Sajka, Jason_White, Shawn, +1.408.423.aaaa, hober, Michael_Cooper, Rich, Andy_Heath, Katie_Haritos_Shea, James_Craig
Present: Janina_Sajka Jason_White Shawn +1.408.423.aaaa hober Michael_Cooper Rich Andy_Heath Katie_Haritos_Shea James_Craig
Regrets: Sangwhan_Moon
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-indie-ui/2013Feb/0022.html
Found Date: 06 Feb 2013
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2013/02/06-indie-ui-minutes.html
People with action items: 32

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]