W3C

Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

09 Jan 2013

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Shawn, Vivienne, Klaus, Annika, Simon, Christos, Markku, Giorgio, Markel, Yeliz, David
Regrets
Shadi, Yehya, Justin, Joshue
Chair
Simon
Scribe
Giorgio

Contents


Mobile Note DRAFT -

sh: first draft of mobile report is out; anybody has read it?

<Vivienne> I had a brief look

sh: if everybody could read by next meeting so that we go though it line by line and make sure that we agree

<Vivienne> sounds fine

sh: is everybody ok with this?

+1

<christos> +1

<sloandr> +1

shawn: can you go through it and give us an outline?

sh: check if related work is missing
... in current research should be a summary of what was dealt with

<yeliz> Hi all, sorry I am late

sh: emerging themes is our interpretation of what came out from the webinar. This is very subjective so people can disagree here
... research roadmap is a discussion of what came out from the meeting and from the invited experts
... we'll be happy to take any additional txt that poeple think is useful.
... in appendix we've thequestions and ansers, quite a lot of them
... this is our questions, and there is a lot of info here because there was no room in the note itself and neither in individual papers.

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to say minor point: label the Appendix so it's clear from the TOC what it is

shawn: minor point but label the appendix with a moe infomative title, "additional other questions"

<yeliz> OK, thanks Shawn

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to say important point - make sure the themes of WAI work are included. see http://www.w3.org/WAI/mobile/

shawn: more importantly, make sure that a theme comes out from the report that says that guidelins are important and that it is tied to the pages we have in theWAI for mobile

<yeliz> Issue tracking would be good

sh: how shall we handle these comments? with a ticket tracking tool?

<yeliz> so we have a list of comments to be addressed

shawn: we can do that with zakim as an action

<shawn> important point -- while additional guidance is needed; mobile accessibility is already covered in WAI guidelines (UAAG & WCAG)

<sharper> ACTION: sharper to make explicit that Mobile accessibility already exists (with pointers) even though there can be more to do (inc links from roadmap) near the top. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/09-rd-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-34 - Make explicit that Mobile accessibility already exists (with pointers) even though there can be more to do (inc links from roadmap) near the top. [on Simon Harper - due 2013-01-16].

<sharper> ACTION: sharper to append appendix title with more descriptive text [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/09-rd-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-35 - Append appendix title with more descriptive text [on Simon Harper - due 2013-01-16].

sh: any comments?
... yeliz? are you there?

yy: no additional comments today

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to say minor point - W3C reference style http://www.w3.org/TR/accessibility-metrics-report/#references

shawn: minor points, check the w3c reference style (eg brakets).
... double check with Shadi if we need to do that.

yy: references are in academic style.

<sharper> ACTION: sharper to check with Shadi regarding academic style for references. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/09-rd-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-36 - Check with Shadi regarding academic style for references. [on Simon Harper - due 2013-01-16].

yy: in previous note there also mixed urls. Here everything is the academic style.

sh: now the document is in my dropbox. we use bit-bucket as a version-control system. is it still ok to keep using that?

shawn: it would be better to have it in the w3c space, but I leave to Shadi to decide.
... before we announce it publicly we'll need to move it to the w3c space -although while editing, certainly easier to have where all can edit

<yeliz> It's much easier to edit it I think if we have the control

Text Customisation Note EARLY DRAFT -

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/TC4R_Draft_Report

sh: david and shawn, would you like to talk?

<sloandr> ok, sorry. I'm unmuted and i can hear you

<sloandr> not locally muted

<sloandr> will drop and call in again, sorry

<sloandr> ah - looks like i was associated with vivienne

shawn: it is still a draft. People have had a chance to read it?
... any comments?

<Vivienne> I started looking through it - it's looking good so far

sh: I skimmed over it. can you tell me the way it is structured? are these lists to be moved into a discussion or shall they remain as they are now?

david: simon you're right. it's "listy" because we wanted still to think at thecontent.
... the intention is to compress the numbr of headings

shawn: simon, were you talking about the numebr of sections or their contents?

<Vivienne> From reading it, the content is looking 'listy', but I assumed this was because it was a draft and you are organizing your ideas.

<shawn> [ I think example of listy section is: <http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/TC4R_Draft_Report#Specialized_Text_Customisation_Tools> ]

sh: within sections.
... it's nice to have a flowing narrative description rather than lists.
... I just wanted to verify with you what was your intention.

david: it's a temporary struture.

<shawn> [ the numeric references are historical - copy & paste -- will be changed]

<yeliz> +1 for name and the year, it is much better for reading the text

shawn: references will be converted in the format NAME-YEAR

yy: on simon's comment
... the number of sections is too large, for lower levels ones (ie the more detaild ones).

<Vivienne> I can hear a real echo as well

<markel> I'm muted

sh: we cut the time for review and added extra heading just to have an idea of the kind of contentwere were adding

shawn: we wanted to make sure that certain content was clear and had the appropriate emphasis, eg impact

sh: any other comments?

<shawn> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/TC4R_Draft_Report#Summary

shawn: look at he summary, new and still drafty. let's read it now

<yeliz> sorry, I lost the connection :(

sh: you talk aabout text size, font, color, but you provide a single example. Are there there examples?

<yeliz> Having problems with connection so will be only on IRC

david: there are 2 perspectives, and I agree with Simon that other examples could be added

shawn: refresh - I added a note for reminder to us

<klaus> have to leave, sorry

sh: can you make suggesstions on how other groups (eg css people) could contribute to tackling these issues.

david I can barely hear you; lot of echo and background noise!

sh: do you plan to invite experts in the field to discuss the roadmap? as we did for the mobile event.

<sloandr> sorry, giorgio - do you need me to summarise what i said in text?

shawn: I'm not sure if we want to establish a precedent with a follow up discussion

<yeliz> +1 for a follow up discussion

shawn: we plan to ask for specific input to the public draft. we were thinking for that input to be submitted as email, so that it is more referenceable

<yeliz> was interesting to hear some expert views on the topic

annika: consider also settings of the OS, not just those of the user agent

<sloandr> +1 to annika

shawn: great point, thank you.

sh: if have comments supply them via the rdwg mailing list
... next week read the mobile note as we will go line by line for changes.
... and then we will move to the text customization note.
... where are we with the easy to read note, klaus?
... any other business?

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: sharper to append appendix title with more descriptive text [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/09-rd-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: sharper to check with Shadi regarding academic style for references. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/09-rd-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: sharper to make explicit that Mobile accessibility already exists (with pointers) even though there can be more to do (inc links from roadmap) near the top. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/09-rd-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-01-30 13:04:08 $