W3C

- DRAFT -

Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

17 Oct 2012

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
fjh, Jungkee, +49.173.537.aaaa, Dsr, +49.173.537.aabb, +1.781.266.aacc, dcheng3, Cathy, +1.858.651.aadd, +46.1.07.15.aaee, nwidell, Clarke, +1.289.261.aaff, Josh_Soref, gmandyam, SungOk_You, Frederick_Hirsch, Jungkee_Song, Diana_Cheng, Alexander_Salas, Dave
Regrets
Bryan_Sullivan, Milan_Patel
Chair
Frederick_Hirsch
Scribe
Josh_Soref

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 17 October 2012

Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements

<fjh> IRC client configuration change: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-device-apis/2012Oct/0005.html

<fjh> "Web Intents Addendum - Local Services" FPWD published 4 October 2012 - http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-webintents-local-services-20121004/

<fjh> Updated working draft of "Network Service Discovery" published 4 October - http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-discovery-api-20121004/

<fjh> Welcome to new DAP members, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0021.html

Minutes approval

<scribe> scribe: Josh_Soref

dsr: I'll be stepping down
... as team contact
... i'll be working with Sys Apps
... it was good working with you

<fjh> Much thanks to dsr !

fjh: much thanks for all that you've done with the group

dsr: i'll also be working with NFC when it gets launched

fjh: thanks a lot dsr

<fjh> Approve 3 October 2012 minutes: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/att-0014/minutes-2012-10-03.html

<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: Minutes from 3 October 2012 are approved.

RESOLUTION: Minutes from 3 October 2012 are approved.

Contacts Web Intent

<fjh> CfC to remove search extended to 22 October - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0000.html

fjh: bryan gave a UC for search
... we should probably have this discussion at the F2F

<Jungkee> Yes

fjh: the discussion is still going on on the list

Media Capture LC

<fjh> https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/43696/WD-html-media-ca

fjh: we have the comments on Tracker
... Josh_Soref, i think you have additional comments that should go to the list

<fjh> https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/43696/WD-html-media-capture-20120712/doc/

fjh: i think we should go through these at the F2F
... but we have a number of comments that haven't been addressed
... we should try to work on these before the F2F
... i don't think there's time on this call
... / the right people (anssik)
... i know shepazu disagreed with our response

F2F Agenda review

<fjh> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/F2F_Agenda_1-2_November_TPAC_Lyon_France

<fjh> fjh: updated to have 17:00 end time on day 2 but depending on discussion may end earlier

fjh: one subject we'll need to discuss soon
... is whether browsers are converging

<fjh> Tuesday F2F items relevant to DAP

<fjh> Media Capture F2F 13:00 - 18:00 (after lunch), http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2012Oct/0103.html

<fjh> WebIntents session during WebApps, http://www.w3.org/wiki/Webapps/TPAC2012Meeting#Agenda_Tuesday_October_30

<fjh> 16:45 - 17:45 Web Intents: update, status, Q&A with Web Intents Task Force members. Lead: James Hawkins. (May have remote participants e.g. Greg, Paul)

fjh: i think there's also a web intents session on wednesday during the plenary
... i know jhawkins won't be there in person
... the most important thing going forward
... is browser support
... especially mozilla support
... i think the right thing to do is to work on a proposal for the agenda
... i'll do that with jhawkins and greg
... does anyone else have comments on the agenda?

dcheng3: i have a concern about one of the items on the agenda
... network information api action points
... i thought in the last F2F we informally killed this spec
... i don't know if it's reasonable to

fjh: i thought we shelved the previous version
... but that we had a simplified version we were progressing
... i'll change the agenda item to be a general topic
... and figure out what we're doing

dcheng3: my understanding was that we shelved both versions
... there were finger printing issues with the first one
... and the second one had implementability issues
... and wasn't going to be useful
... i think Josh_Soref had comments on the mailing list

Josh_Soref: +1

nwidell: one thing i think we should discuss
... previously discussed a bit
... the sensor apis
... for sensors not on the device
... i know mozilla doesn't really like this
... maybe there are other supporters in the group
... so maybe we should raise the question
... and see if there are other supporters

fjh: are you talking about temperature and web intents?

nwidell: eactly

fjh: how do we go forward with this?

nwidell: maybe we put together a presentation for that

fjh: are you volunteering to do a presentation?

<fjh> fjh: note to self, add next step for sensor API agenda item

nwidell: yeah, i can do a short one

fjh: that'd be great
... another topic is where do we focus our future efforts
... does anyone else have comments?

Calendar

fjh: the question is whether we should try to progress it
... my understanding is if it were to mimic contacts
... one would be WebIntents intergration
... the other would be the data format
... my understanding is we finished the data format
... but i think Josh_Soref disagreed on that

<fjh> josh_soref: at the last time we looked we noticed bugs in the calendar data format, didn't handle leap years

<fjh> josh_soref: could live with that bug but given that it took so long to get the comment, not sure about the amount of review

<fjh> josh_soref: need explanation of reason for difference for ical etc, can take action to look at our implementation

dcheng3: one idea would be to invite tantek ├želik, who's working on the calendar implementation for firefox os
... so we can see where they want to go

<fjh> ACTION: fjh to update F2F agenda for sensor next steps, network information, and to make invitations for mozilla participation [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/10/17-dap-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-584 - Update F2F agenda for sensor next steps, network information, and to make invitations for mozilla participation [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2012-10-24].

Josh_Soref: he's the same person who complained about DAP's contacts api not following the vaporware vCard 4
... which is why i believe we need to have an explanation of why we aren't using iCal or whatever the IETF format is called

<dsr> (BTW Tantek will be at TPAC)

fjh: anything else about new work that should be discussed at the F2F?

Action Review

fjh: i've been sending emails to people who have action reviews offline
... i've gotten back answers from Josh_Soref
... and darobin , and klaus
... i'll send a summary at some point
... i've done my action to contact people about actions

<fjh> close ACTION-582

<trackbot> ACTION-582 Follow up regarding DAP action status offline closed

<fjh> close ACTION-583

<trackbot> ACTION-583 Make publication request for Network Service Discovery closed

Josh_Soref: i'll send a summary based on my response to fjh to the list

<fjh> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/open

fjh: the most important goal of mine for the f2f
... is to know what we're doing with webintents
... and what we're building on webintents

<fjh> goals include 1) convergence of WebIntents with respect to Mozilla and other implementations, details of WebIntents changes (2) progress specs that build on webintents

<fjh> (3) progress docs that are in LC/CR onward on Rec track, discuss testing

<fjh> (4) identify work that needs to be started or worked on

<fjh> also review privacy and security issues

fjh: are there any other big goals i'm forgetting?

AOB

fjh: we don't have a call the week after TPAC

<fjh> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html

fjh: thanks for taking the time today

[ adjourned ]

trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: fjh to update F2F agenda for sensor next steps, network information, and to make invitations for mozilla participation [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/10/17-dap-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/10/17 14:33:28 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.137  of Date: 2012/09/20 20:19:01  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/ScribeNick: fjh//
Succeeded: s/sigh//
Succeeded: s/vcard/ical/
Succeeded: s/tantek/tantek ├želik/
Found Scribe: Josh_Soref
Inferring ScribeNick: Josh_Soref
Default Present: fjh, Jungkee, +49.173.537.aaaa, Dsr, +49.173.537.aabb, +1.781.266.aacc, dcheng3, Cathy, +1.858.651.aadd, +46.1.07.15.aaee, nwidell, Clarke, +1.289.261.aaff, Josh_Soref, gmandyam, SungOk_You
Present: fjh Jungkee +49.173.537.aaaa Dsr +49.173.537.aabb +1.781.266.aacc dcheng3 Cathy +1.858.651.aadd +46.1.07.15.aaee nwidell Clarke +1.289.261.aaff Josh_Soref gmandyam SungOk_You Frederick_Hirsch Jungkee_Song Diana_Cheng Alexander_Salas Dave
Regrets: Bryan_Sullivan Milan_Patel
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0026.html
Found Date: 17 Oct 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/10/17-dap-minutes.html
People with action items: fjh

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]