Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

03 Oct 2012


See also: IRC log


Klaus, Luz, Shawn, Annika, Silvia, Markku, Christos, Simon, Kerstin, Shadi (via IRC)
Yeliz, Giorgio, Markel, Yehya, Peter


Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)

<annika> hi everyone, I'm on the call but my mic is broken.

Metrics W3C Note Status (5m)

<shadi> [[please continue to remind people to review the Metrics Report]]

Shawn: The deadline for comments to the Metrics W3C Note was extended till the 5th October. Everyone please contact people who might be interested and ask them to comment by Friday.

<shadi> [[3 commenters so far http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd-comments/]]

Next Topic Discussions (10m)

Sharper: New topics are welcome to discuss for next topic for the next agenda.

Sharper: Yehya interested in user modeling

<shawn> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/User_modelling

Mark:Some ideas on [@@] Shall I just add them to the wiki?

Sharper:Yes, please.

CfP Simplified Format http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/CfP _email_boilerplate (15m)

Sharper: Think we talked through that enough the week before last. 

Alternative Conference Publishing Venues http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Alternative_Conference_Publishing_Venues (15m)

Sharper: There is in the wiki a topic to collect information about the alternative conference publishing,
... Alternative conference publishing need to be decided/discussed.

Issues and Actions (Standing Item): https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/

Sharper:None to discuss.

Any Other Business (Standing Item)

Sharper:News for the two upcoming symposiums?

Shawn: tc4r: 12 submissions. some borderline - good stuff but needs work to really contribute well. Considering replying with comments and an invitation to re-submit edited paper. Want WG's feedback on that approach.

<Luz>I find it a good idea.

Sharper:works for me.

Klaus: Further details/recommendations shall be send to the authors for the camara ready version.

<Zakim> annika, you wanted to ask: How many papers will be in the symposium?

Shawn: had 11 for metrics; 5 for mobile ('cause only 5 good ones). Probably will accept all good ones. Not sure how many that is - reviews are due tomorrow.

<annika> ok

Sharper:Moving papers between the two symposiums?

Shawn:So far none [update after telecon: probably at least one]; however, think some who submitted to tc4r will also submit separately to e2r -- e.g., one paper introduced broader project and said this paper addresses the tc aspect, think will submit broader to e2r. I don't expect any submissed to e2r would be better in tc4r; however, we are set up to handle that if so. Klaus will review all.

<Klaus> We will screen e2r papers on the 10th-12th and see if we should move!

Shawn:disappointed some people who said they were going to submit didn't. Talked to two: one was bad timing, other has some input, but not enough for a paper -- just a couple paragraphs. Would like to actively encourage people to send additional contributions to mailing list before the symposium - including research summaries, perspectives, questions. OK?

Sharper:Good. Others?

<annika> annika: agree with shawn. We should invite people when they register for the symposium.

Mobile Report

Sharper: Mobile topic and accessibility and RoadMap. We'll have draft in 3 weeks. (can minute that, then hold me accountable :) Also, Judy Brewer, WAI Director, wants to comment.

Conference system

<annika> annika: was there a decision on other options for conference calls systems?

Shawn: Shadi looking at other conference call options. if have any input, please let him know. Plan to try it out in the coming weeks - before Nov symposium

<annika> ok

Sharper: Is there a limit to Google hang out?

Luz: Yes, Google Handout has a maximum of 9 persons to share the conversation with (10 persons in total).

Review process

<Kerstin> Other question: Is it planned to invite reviewers from the TC symposium to the next telecon?

<annika> annika suggests to have separate calls for the reviewers and not mix it with the weekly telecon.

Shawn: Agree not in the main RDWG telecon.
... Who is involved in discussion of papers? Only symposium chairs, or all of Scientific Committee (reviewers), or subset as Program Committee?

Sharper:Usually discussion via private e-mail between Chairs & individual reviewers on specific papers, then Chairs make decision. Do you want others involved?

Shawn:I'm happy to have additional input, although I'm aware of scheduling complications with more people. Perhaps set time based on Chairs' availability, then invite SC if they want?

Sharper:sounds good

<Kerstin> ok. thank you for this useful info.


<shawn> Reminder to all: Forward to specific people interested in evaluation http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2012Sep/0033.html

Sharper: Add/suggest/discuss in the wiki alternative places to publish

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/10/11 11:11:38 $