HTML Weekly Teleconference

28 Jun 2012

See also: IRC log


yang, glenn, Sam, SethHodgson, krisk, hober, jaymunro, adrianba, Mike, mjs, Plh, Janina, Clarke, John_Foliot


<trackbot> Date: 28 June 2012

<glenn> yang, i'm still hearing noise from you, so its best to stay muted, either locally on your end or via zakim, until you wish to speak

<glenn> it was before you joined sam

<glenn> i was hearing local noise at yang's end (fan + typing, etc)


<scribe> scribe: krisk

#1 1. ACTION items due by Thursday, June 28

First item is ACTION-217: Create a joint Path location add hit testing binding...

<adrianba> ACTION-217?

<trackbot> ACTION-217 -- Richard Schwerdtfeger to create a joint Path location add hit testing binding CP for ISSUE-201 that binds canvas to fallback content (Rich, Ted, Frank) -- due 2012-06-21 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/217

<glenn> lot's of echo on line

hober: frank and myself met last week and are in the process of formalizing the discussion

<rubys> s/ted:/Ted:/

sam: do we have any update on schedule?
... any more comments/questions for hober?

Next ACTION-219: Review Michael Cooper's CP for ISSUE-199a

<adrianba> ACTION-219?

<trackbot> ACTION-219 -- Edward O'Connor to review Michael Cooper's CP for ISSUE-199a -- due 2012-06-22 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/219

Hober: I reviewed this last friday and send this to Michael

janina: Michael this looks good - except for some language (not optimal)

mjs: can Michael agree that the editor can make an update to the language?
... Then as long as Michael makes his update we should have consensus

janina: Michael should be able to make his update in a day or so

Next Update New Issues This Week:

ISSUE-206: Should HTML5 have a meta generator exception to the alt requirement?

<trackbot> ISSUE-206 Should HTML5 have a meta generator exception to the alt requirement? notes added

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/206 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jun/0137.html

sam: any discussions?
... none

Next Items Closed Last Week

ISSUE-184: data-element, survey closed Jun 21

<trackbot> ISSUE-184 Add a data element notes added

ISSUE-185: drop-pubdate and add moddate, surveys closed Jun 21

<trackbot> ISSUE-185 Drop the pubdate attribute notes added

Next Up is Items Closing This Week

ISSUE-195: form-http-req, Revise Change Proposals closes Jun 27

<trackbot> ISSUE-195 Enhance http request generation from forms notes added

chairs are reviewing

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Feb/0263.html http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jun/0136.html

Next Items Closing Next Week

ISSUE-189: uri-web-prefix, Revise Change Proposals extension closes Jul 6

<trackbot> ISSUE-189 Prefix convention needs to be coordinated with IETF notes added


ISSUE-200: legend-placement, Revise Change Proposals closes Jul 6

<trackbot> ISSUE-200 Allow wrapping LEGEND (or new iLEGEND) in non-FIELDSET elements notes added


sam: note they both close on July 6th

Next New Calls this week

ISSUE-206: meta-generator

<trackbot> ISSUE-206 Should HTML5 have a meta generator exception to the alt requirement? notes added

alternale/counter proposals are due by July 27th

Next New Surveys this week


Decisions this week


Other Business

#1 HTML WG rechartering

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jun/0104.html

Sam: a small amount of discussion

plh: mike is working on this (dependancy)
... The RDFa will be moved to a different working group and this was moved from the HTML WG charter

<MikeSmith> yeah, I have since removed HTML + RDFa as a deliverable from the draft charter

plh: People need to comment on this change to the charter

ISSUE-203 media-descriptions

hober asked for an extension and chairs agreed

janina: what was the issue? use case?

hober: some of the information is redundant

janina: the mechanism is tied to ISSUE-30 and we are out of sequence
... I am not opposed to taking this under advisement

<hober> hober: at this time, i don't want to commit to only countering the mechanism and not the use case

<hober> hober: also, ordering of this issue with other issues is not something i control, so i'm not sure what janina would like me to say with regard to that

janina: well we want to get html5 done, the use case has been discussed for sometime
... happy to discuss, though no need to do this right now..
... issue-30 should occur first

hober: I'm not concerned about the ordering...

janina: I'm objecting you working on this before others

hober: I'm not working on this before the others

sam: The net is that an extension has been granted by the chairs

<JF> +Q to ask the Chairs what will happen after July 10th, given this Issue WAS closed June 20th

sam: for issue-203

janina: I'm not sure we have enough to re-open this issue
... debating 203 before issue-30 is not going to work

<Zakim> JF, you wanted to ask the Chairs what will happen after July 10th, given this Issue WAS closed June 20th

JF: I'm not sure if this issue is re-opened?
... what is the plan - will it close at somepoint
... issue was closed on june 20th

mjs: The call for consensus when out but was not actually closed on the 20th

sam: note that this is dependent on issue-30

JF: So now the deadline is July 10th, what happens on the 11th?

plh: does it make sense to close this before issue-30?
... will we close this then before issue-30

JF: I have no objection to defering issue-203 until issue-30 is resolved

sam: I'll send a note to the list about this discussion
... any objections?

no objections to this...

sam: can we move on to Proposed adaptive image element?

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jun/0130.html

janina: works for me...

sam: not clear if this is needed for html5 or should be in html.next

adrianba: I think the list would be 'OK' to have this be in HTML.NEXT
... though people don't want to wait a long time
... such that people would start to impl this sooner

plh: should we make this a HTML.NEXT proposal and work on it their?

agreement from the WG on this change

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jun/0135.html

Technical Editor for HTML Working Group has been sent to the list

<yang> when the html.next will be discussed? after html5 REC?

plh: w3c will hire an individual for 1 year and will complement the editor work
... participants can apply for this position

<glenn> is there a timeline for resolving the editor team?

<glenn> i.e., if it takes an unspecified time to hire a lead editor...

sam: we are still evaluating - hopefully it be in a matter of days

<glenn> tnx

sam: editors may come on in stages (not optimal) but we won't block

yang: will html.next be discussed or will it start once html5 gets to REC?

sam: it will be in //

<tantek> yang - you can discuss HTML6 any time you want - create a page on the W3C wiki and feel free to brainstorm there

<rubys> http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/html5-stabilization-plan.html#Q5

yang: if we find something in html.next very useful can we move this to html5?

sam: it's possible though major changes will face resistance
... any, any other business?

<glenn> i can scribe

no one is on the queue

<tantek> krisk - I'd say better chance of going directly to browser implementers and asking them to consider implementing

<tantek> (or if that was yang)

meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/06/28 16:41:38 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Glen/hober/
FAILED: s/Glen:/Ted:/
Succeeded: s/Glen/ted/
Succeeded: s/msj/mjs/
Succeeded: s/msj/mjs/
Succeeded: s/adrianab/adrianba/
Found Scribe: krisk
Inferring ScribeNick: krisk

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

Default Present: yang, glenn, Sam, SethHodgson, krisk, hober, jaymunro, adrianba, Mike, mjs, Plh, Janina, Clarke, John_Foliot
Present: yang glenn Sam SethHodgson krisk hober jaymunro adrianba Mike mjs Plh Janina Clarke John_Foliot

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 28 Jun 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-html-wg-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]