Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

02 May 2012

See also: IRC log


Shawn, Yehya, Shadi, Christos, Giorgio, Joshue, Simon, Vivienne
Peter, Charles, Klaus, Yeliz, Markel


Welcome & Logistics (Regrets, Agenda Requests, Comments)

sh: Thanks everone for attending the meeting

<shadi> https://www.openconf.org/MobileAccess/

<shawn> [[Shawn did send a reminder via twitter & WAI IG e-mail ]]

sh: I think we should leave the openconf system open just to make sure we get all submissions

<giorgio> what is the name of this tool/system/approach?

sh: is it possible to get the proceedings electronically?

<Zakim> shadi, you wanted to ask about proceedings feature

sh: There are modules in the open conf and can produce automatic a program and proceedings for the conference
... It moves from a sumbission system to a proceedings production system

<giorgio> the openconf module for generating the proceedings might be useful for us to produce a draft, that then will need to edited manually I guess.

saz: I think we would need to purchase some additional licences...

<Joshue108> +1 to Shadi

saz: we might test the process and see what we need in the future

<Joshue108> +1 to Simon

sh: we have to decide what it is that we want and the mobile conference could work as a test

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to say prefer to have proceedings on W3C website -- although maybe using their proceedings generator if it will help create proceedings for W3C site

saz: we are going to have the openconf in w3c space ...

sh; feedback from the f2f meetings suggests we could move the f2f meeting to other conferences

<giorgio> I know I won't be ble to be there

<Joshue108> +1 meeting at TPAC

<shawn> survey results: https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/47076/F2F-Where/results#xcoming

giorgio: wiil be in TPAC

<giorgio> giorgio will not be at TPAC

sh: w4a seems to be the best other choice
... may be we need a couple of alternatives

saz: w4a might be best

sh: assets is in us in october... so it is a bit difficult
... we say no to TPAC and see what we can do with that

giorgio: assets might be a good opportunity to have some more americans in the group

<shadi> october will be difficult for me

<Joshue108> I won't be at assets

RESOLUTION: We will not use the TPAC for the face to face meeting

saz: another we should look at is good standing of participants

sh: TPAC on october - november cannot work


<sharper> +1

<Joshue108> +1

<giorgio> +1

<vivienne> ?

<Yehya> -1

<giorgio> oh sorry: tpac for me is -1

Current W3C Note Status (Giorgio, Markel, Josh, Shadi)

<giorgio> maybe shadi or josh?

saz: I finally got to put it in a working group note

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2011/metrics/note/ED-metrics-20120427.html

<Joshue108> no worries

<giorgio> me neither - was able to look at it.

saz: there are a number of things missing and josque is taking care of them

Joshue: I did some of the work...

josque: I can finish the TOC and send it to shadi

saz: status of the document should also be taken care
... we should have a draft ready for next week

<Joshue108> Sorry guys I've got to go

josque: I sent some comment about the scope of the status... it could be good to put in the begining

<giorgio> Josh: I could look at the draft next week. Not before Monday for sure.

<Joshue108> bye

<sharper> ACTION: sharper to look at the 'Status of this document' wording http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2011/metrics/note/ED-metrics-20120427.html [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/05/02-rd-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-17 - Look at the 'Status of this document' wording http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2011/metrics/note/ED-metrics-20120427.html [on Simon Harper - due 2012-05-09].

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to ask about Symposium publication package design http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/rd/SP-design -- know anyone who wants to take up this small design challenge?

shawn: I got the symposium publication design and we could discuss it now
... this is more of a spec of what we want
... I tried to spec out some requirements and leave a bit of flexibility

saz: I think there are some guidelines that could be used
... we usually have the call for papers... and then the main page gets the focus

sh: is this something that the ACT project could help?

saz: I ll talk with Klaus and see
... what is the purpose of the margin in the paper page?

shawn: it could be used for navigation

sh: we could have a more detailed discussion on the coming meetings
... but I think it's quite ok and complete

shawn: one of the goals was to design a nice proceedings package but not look like a w3c edited document

giorgio: the overall idea for the main page is quite good
... I am not sure about the margin in the papers page

<Zakim> shadi, you wanted to ask giorgio about nav in the margin

<giorgio> perfectly good!

<vivienne> I like the idea of the papers listed on the left as well

saz: whould a navigation bar in the side be usefull?

giorgio; yes

saz: the links in the top navigation should be also changed

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/community/groups/

sh: this is some kind of CMS

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/community/

sh: could we use that system?

shawn: it's still a bit difficult to use and might need a lot of support

sh: it looks quite good to be used for that purpose...

<vivienne> I realy like the page

shawn: we could find out what are the good points and include them in the style

giorgio: I think its good and it is quite friendly

<vivienne> it also would encourage people to submit new ideas as you discussed a little while ago

<giorgio> ok, thanks

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/techpapers

saz: we could possibly generate an overall page of all the symposia to tie all symposia together
... we could also have a wordpress instance but we should be quite serious about this

giorgio: shadi has a good idea... authors in symposia could participate and help in maintaining and provide content for that blog

saz: how long whould that last?

giorgio: we could try

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to say possibly would fit as thread under WAI-Engage http://www.w3.org/community/wai-engage/

viviene: we could have author to answer questions in the papers... it becomes like a talk to the author possibility that we can have there

shawn: there is a community group for accessibility and they might be able to use them

<Zakim> shadi, you wanted to say use WAI-Engage for this symposium?

sh: we should try something like that... and especially if could tie this with social networks

<giorgio> yes. I would be specific and explicit in that we put the onus on authors, mainly.

saz: maybe we could try it out as giorgio suggested and see how it works and see for the following webinar how do we want to to tweak that...

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: sharper to look at the 'Status of this document' wording http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2011/metrics/note/ED-metrics-20120427.html [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/05/02-rd-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/05/03 08:21:59 $