HTML-A11Y Text Alternatives Subteam

17 Apr 2012

See also: IRC log


Judy, Janina, John_Foliot, David_MacDonald, Laura_Carlson
Leif, Laura


<scribe> scribe: janina

check of deadlines this week

<JF> http://w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204

<Judy> Issue 204 (ARIA hidden) has a deadline of April 18th, which is tomorrow

<JF> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203

<Judy> Issue 203 (allow alt and longdesc on video) had a deadline, and needs a revised CP

<Judy> Issue 31-c (meta name generator) has a target date (not deadline) for an updated CP of April 20th

<Judy> Issue (###) (buggy alt in the spec itself) by the next coordination meeting

alt bugs: update on CP for HTML5 in-spec alt guidance bugs--gathering, explaining, rechecking whole doc

dm: Spec has images with null alt, probably not WCAG conformant -- at least 4

<JF> +Q

jb: We were going to do an internal pass plus Steve before forwarding on list, were we not?
... Do I understand you're finding missing alt sometimes, what about alt that is there?

dm: Mostly good


That's the single page current as of March last

jb: Janina, were you going to coordinate with David on the write up of this?

js: I could do that

buggy alts: update on checking alt texts in HTML5 spec itself

jb: Oops, we got our topic names reversed!
... This topic we just discussed
... So we're now on Alt Bugs

js will proceed with help from the group to:

1> ascertain whether or not 4.8 re alt is by far the most extensive prescriptive guidance for authoring

2. Pont out that 4.8 and Steve's doc are not the same, and the WG needs to decide between the two

3. List out all the points of disagreement re guidance provided

agreement on approach

dm: alt descript of network diagram is really a longdesc, not an alt
... but in 8.2.1 same image is null alt text

jf: And no describedby, or other

issue 204: update on CP for re-alignment of HTML5 spec text about ARIA with actual ARIA provisions

<JF> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204

<laura> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/CorrectHidden

jb: Laura has taken recent discussion into a proposed CP
... One question is whether JS wants to work from this or start another?

<JF> +Q

jb: What needed to get this done?

jf: My action was to withdraw mine once we have a replacement in place
... Apologize for my loaded language, but the basics are there
... Not sure how to make my points if I withdraw my cp
... Maybe rather than ref my note, just rewrite to make lang more neutral and straight forward

jb: Do you want to flag items?

jf: Laura has captured the key items

jb: Can I reverse the question?
... John, are there specific things that you want to make sure Laura and Janina don't drop?
... Important not to accuse someone of misunderstand or of intentionally misusing. Better to focus on the substance of what we need to put forward.

[jb discussing with lc wiki editing strategies ... ]

jf: I'm working on my own blog illustrating the points around hidden, including screenshots from ZoomText

jb: Wondering how one maximizes reads of external blog evidence?
... Suggest providing the text of what is said even when providing a URI in the WBS
... Even though it sounds redundant, it's useful to include these things in a WBS response to make sure that the dots are connected for people

jf: My goal is to have in hand evidence to backup our assertions

jb: Agree and appreciate. My comments are to make sure people get it and actually look at it

jf: My intent is to withdraw once there's another in place, is that still the group's understanding?

[agreement in meeting]

<Zakim> Judy, you wanted to suggest something about blogged evidence and to suggest *how* to provide linked off-survey evidence

issue 203: update on a specific CP

jb: Last meeting, John, I think you were wrestling with this?

jf: Yes, my action is to rewrite
... Something along the lines of let video take longdesc
... I was out of town last week
... Now thinking of 2 cps
... One for alt, one for longdesc

jb: Are you sure you need separate proposals?

jf: That's what we said last week!

js: I think we misunderstood each other last week

<JF> http://w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposal/Issue203

update on revised CP on meta-name generator

jb: We're now calling it issue-31c

<Judy> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Text_Alternatives/Meta_Generator_Decision_Comments

jb: We have a skelaton from LC using Maciej's rejection ...
... My task is to add content re what they're missing
... We have also had use cases added that I'm unconvinced help. Would appreciate feedback on that

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/04/17 18:34:38 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/labels/topic names/
Found Scribe: janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina
Default Present: Judy, Janina, John_Foliot, David_MacDonald, Laura_Carlson
Present: Judy Janina John_Foliot David_MacDonald Laura_Carlson
Regrets: Leif Laura
Got date from IRC log name: 17 Apr 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/04/17-text-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]