HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

12 Apr 2012


See also: IRC log


Judy, David_MacDonald, John_Foliot, Mike, Cooper, Janina_Sajka, Paul_Cotton


<trackbot> Date: 12 April 2012

<MikeSmith> argh

<MikeSmith> Zakim being slow

<Judy> Scribe: Janina

<scribe> scribe: janina

<paulc> beeping stopped when I went on manual mute on my end.

<paulc> Nothing to add on my part.

janina: Janina explains that PF is still working on finalization of the language regarding ARIA-Hidden in our User Agent Implementation Guide
... We've agreed on language, but as of yesterday, it had not yet been checked into our doc
... Cynthia is charged from PF to work with me on a CP for Issue-204

judy: Points out that people continue to look for other approaches while Issue-30 remains unresolved
... This is why reviewing this timeline is important

janina: Yes, When we finish on Issue-204, and that means CP by 18 April, Issue-30 is next

text alternatives, lang in spec and also alts on images in spec

mike: Main point here is to ask people to look and bring up any issues

<MikeSmith> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-img-element.html#alt

mike: One issue is whether this section should even be in the spec
... However, if it remains, we want not to conflict with WAI-WCAG guidance, and with WCAG techniques
... So, please look at this section and provide comment

judy: Suggest doing subteam reports first might help with today's agenda, as there's subteam work on this topic

mike: OK, let's do that ...

Text Subteam

<Judy> http://www.w3.org/2012/04/10-text-minutes.html

judy: Noting Text Subteam meeting and also recent series of coordination meetings with two WG Chairs, Janina and myself
... Coordinations have been helpful
... Discussions have included alt bug issues
... Also, Janina and Leif are working to identify any additional potential problems
... Anyone who can help, please coordinate with Janina and Leif
... We hope to be complete with that review in the Text Subteam by next Tuesday
... Secondly, we are reviewing the alt on images in the HTML spec to see whether there are issues there
... Any help on that please coordinate with David McDonald
... Also, we discussed I-204, have already had report here ...
... I-203 -- which has a longdesc dependency -- to be more specific

<JF> +Q

mike: OK, other subteam reports?

jf: Want to note that we want to call the Media Subteam back into a few meetings to clear some issues that have emerged and remain unresolved

judy: I believe there are some pending edits for already resolved matters ...
... So may not need reconvene of Media?

<MikeSmith> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html#ISSUE-188

<MikeSmith> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html#ISSUE-203

<MikeSmith> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html#ISSUE-194

janina: Noting that I-194, I-203 still unresolved and TF may have a preference
... Also that there's disagreement and perhaps misunderstanding on I-203 -- whether a longder description is needed on video and whether a trnascript does, or does not fill that need
... also the need to prove our theory of multi-level navigation

jf: Agree

judy: OK, with that clarification I support this

jf: Noting that while conversation is still ongoing, the possibility of consensus on approaches is worthy of pursuit

mike: Also Canvas issues ...

<MikeSmith> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html#ISSUE-131

mike: Rich is not here today
... We still have I-131, and I-201 ...

<MikeSmith> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html#ISSUE-201

<MikeSmith> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html#ISSUE-205

janina: I had a top-of-my-head suggestion during last week's WG telecon to extend deadline on I-201 inasmuch as canvas is to be discussed during upcoming f2f

mike: Do we want to resolve for an extension?

judy: Makes sense given that people have agreed to work on that

mike: Let's bring that to the WG then

judy: Noting three issues relating to canvas, I131, I201, and I205 maybe should extend until post F2F?

paul: We believe 131 is blocked by 205, we think with minor changes ready for survey
... current opinion of two of the chairs
... I expect to begin work on a survey for 205 and 131
... Don't believe 131 and 205 need to be on F2F, unless there's something people want to discuss

mike: So perhaps only an extension on 201?

paul: Perhaps only the request of chairs to not take action on 201 until after the F2F?

<paulc> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/0686.html

paul: Notes that Counter Proposals on 201 were due last night midnight Boston time
... Notes a CP from Ted is here

<paulc> On time counter proposal from Ted: http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/User:Eoconnor/ISSUE-201

paul: So the request is that the chairs not move these forward until after the F2F?

judy: yes

paul: I'll follow up on that

ike: I do think we should get this recorded on the WG call

<paulc> dropping off to prep for the WG call

mike: Anything else today?


mike: A scribe for next week?

<MichaelC> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Scribe_List

michael: Steve would be top of list if he's here ...
... Rich, Cynthia, David, John, in order ...

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/04/12 15:58:50 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/judy/mike/
Succeeded: s/is locked by 20/is blocked by 20/
Found Scribe: Janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina
Found Scribe: janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina
Default Present: Judy, David_MacDonald, John_Foliot, Mike, Cooper, Janina_Sajka, Paul_Cotton
Present: Judy David_MacDonald John_Foliot Mike Cooper Janina_Sajka Paul_Cotton
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Apr/0089.html
Found Date: 12 Apr 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/04/12-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]