Audio WG teleconference

13 Feb 2012


See also: IRC log


jernoble, quinnirill, Doug_Schepers, [IPcaller], olivier, thierry, Jer, Gabriel


<olivier> (http://www.w3.org/2011/audio/wiki/Use_Cases_and_Requirements)

<olivier> (http://www.w3.org/2011/audio/wiki/Spec_Differences)

<jernoble> hi oliver!

<olivier> Scribe: Jussi

<olivier> ScribeNick: quinnirill

<tmichel> lots of echo ...

<jernoble> -Jer

Teleconference schedule (see http://www.doodle.com/i4pecambe7a5az64)

<olivier> http://www.doodle.com/i4pecambe7a5az64

Olivier: the time that works best for most people is 7pm GMT

Everyone: silence
... agreed

<olivier> RESOLUTION: meetings will be 7pm GMT mondays from now on

Spec differences document

<olivier> http://www.w3.org/2011/audio/wiki/Spec_Differences

Olivier: Al has been editing the spec differences document, is likely to contact group members for help
... if you want to start adding to it, talk with Al or go directly to the wiki

Prioritization of use cases

Olivier: there will be a more formal vote about the subject
... had a chat with James Wei (intel) about the priority of the use cases

<olivier> James thought all except 3, 8, 11 and 12 are high priority)

Olivier: based on whether the use cases are basic requirements or higher level

Doug: we should add placeholders for the priorities in the wiki

<olivier> ACTION: olivier to add placeholders for priorities in UC wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/02/13-audio-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-32 - Add placeholders for priorities in UC wiki [on Olivier Thereaux - due 2012-02-20].

Doug: thinks the priorities should be those that are depended on by the other groups, such as WebRTC
... and games, to cover use cases that are currently gapped by Flash

Olivier: mostly agree
... clear demand on UC1 (WebRTC) & UC2 (developers saying they need it)

Doug: we should either split out use cases to simple and complex to prioritize or (??)
... or group the use cases by requirements

jer: audio visualization also in demand

<olivier> Jussi: not much to add. Most demos are either using audio data api or web audio api. a lot of processing and visualisation

<tmichel> seems quite obvious that UC1 is priority one.

Phil: on the use cases for the online music, you wouldn't have to standardize much, but you could use existing standars, such as MIDI
... XMF is an extended midi file standard, used in phones

<tmichel> +1 for UC1 and UC2.

Phil: for basic use cases, like polyphone ringtones and simple music production, standard MIDI is often enough

Doug: W3C refrains from referencing to specifications that aren't royalty-free

Olivier: based on what I'm hearing, UC1, UC2, UC7 seem important

Everyone: welcome Gabriel

<philburk> MIDI, GeneralMIDI, XMF and DLS2 are royalty free

Olivier: these three use cases cover most of the ground, if you exclude (scenario-wise) complex synthesis

Olivier proposes we focus on these three use cases and then split on complexity

<olivier> RESOLVED: to see how large the overlap of requirements between UC 1,2 and 7 is - and split based them in simple/advanced if needed

?: Do we need a use case for experimenting on raw audio processing

Doug: we could make a UC for it

Phil: useful for teaching audio, etc, not very mainstream

(was that Al?)

Everyone: no objections to adjourning early

Olivier: adjourned, thanks

Everyone: bye

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: olivier to add placeholders for priorities in UC wiki [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/02/13-audio-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/02/13 21:37:54 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/split/split based/
Succeeded: s/?:/Phil:/
Found Scribe: Jussi
Found ScribeNick: quinnirill
Default Present: jernoble, quinnirill, Doug_Schepers, [IPcaller], olivier, thierry, Jer, Gabriel
Present: jernoble quinnirill Doug_Schepers [IPcaller] olivier thierry Jer Gabriel
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-audio/2012JanMar/0237.html
Got date from IRC log name: 13 Feb 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/02/13-audio-minutes.html
People with action items: olivier

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]