Education and Outreach Working Group Teleconference 03 Feb 2012


It was a short meeting with the expectation that the group would check in on current efforts and spend remaining dedicated time doing outreach and related tasks. We reviewed outeach efforts for BAD, spoke about the planned outreach for Accessible Presentations, and heard about Suzette's work on the curriculum (see links under Agenda item #3 below). Andrew has posted new input for Accessible Presentations and participants should review and comment. The group was reminded that whenever we post significant contributions to the wiki to send email alerting the group to the new content. Shawn also reminded everyone to check action items, remembering that there are general action items at the top of the EO page and to update availability for future EO meetings.

ACTIONS for all:


  1. Promoting BAD - update on promotional activities (thanks to Sharron & Wayne for draft blurbs! & Vicki for promotion!)
  2. How to Make Presentations Accessible to All
  3. Curriculum & Course Materials
  4. Action items - report on closed actions, check in on open actions, note actions for all at top of this page
  5. Reminder: Update Availability for Upcoming EOWG Teleconferences


Shawn, Sharron, Ian, Jason, Vicki, Jennifer, Suzette, Sylvie_Duchateau, Liam
Shadi, Helle, Pooja, Wayne, Andrew


BAD Outreach

Shawn: Vicki gets first out gate with posting BAD article.And thanks to Wayne and Sharron for creating the blurbs.
... Any questions about current promotions?

Vicki: sometimes it happens that if you put a link on a word, like the BAD demo, it may get blocked. People should also put the actual URL in the email.

Shawn: Please post that information to the list. Thanks
... any other questions, comments on BAD?

Sylvie: I saw the email but for me, on the wiki I was not sure where to put the outreach contacts.

Shawn: The beginning stuff is mostly what people can use to send out to their own lists. That is what is at the top - what other people may be able to use.
... then at the bottom is a place to point to anything we have sent out or that we have published and such.

Sylvie: How is it formatted?

Shawn: They should be in lists now, but do what ever is comfortable for you. And can also use HTML markup if that is more familiar.

Sharron: here is the URL for the list http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Promoting_BAD#2012_EOWG_Recent_Contacts

Sylvie: It is difficult to see what has been added since I was last on this page.

Shawn: If it is something that needs discussion, please send email so we can add to the agenda.
... in terms of just keeping track of what is being promoted, it is not critical so just go on and add it to the list. We try not to send duplicates, but my guess is that your contacts will not overlap too often.

Jennifer: There have been many retweets and sharing about this on Twitter. Pretty good take up it seems to me.
... may not be able to capture numbers, but they seem very well distributed.

How to Make Presentations Accessible to All

Shawn: Andrew posted a few suggestions and I have some questions for him before we discuss generally.
... On the status of this, we want to promote this ASAP. We have a couple of other things to complete before it is ready for promotion.
... as soon as we are ready, please be prepared to distribute.
... While we don't have a leader for this outreach specifically, we decided to use the document intro as a blurb to send out.

Jennifer: And we are all sort of getting in the groove of how it works and so maybe do not need leadership as critically.

Shawn: I'll do a W3C blog post as well that we can point to.

Jennifer: I have several bookmarks to add for that outreach specifically.

Shawn: So look at what Andrew sent, my questions that follow, and add any comments you want to add to the wiki.

<shawn> ACTION ALL - read Andrew's suggestions and shawn's questions - add your replies to http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Making_Presentations_Accessible_Notes#For_E OWG_discussion

[recorded in http://www.w3.org /2012/02/03-eo-minutes.html#action01]

Curriculum and Course Materials


Shawn: Suzette went through the list of documents to chart their relevance to the curriculum.
... anything you need input from group, Suzette? or requests for actions from members in support?

Suzette: I have had difficulty judging the relevance to 16 to 21 year olds, university level. I think most introductory items will be quite relevant. The more technical - such as ATAG and UAAG - a bit less.
... If anyone else in the group is involved in formal teaching, please review.

Shawn: Suzette added materials from her own teaching that I found quite relevant.
... Suzette, would you send an email to the list and cc Liam to let all know that you have added this?

<scribe> ACTION: Suzette to send email to list to note additions to wiki. [recorded in http://www.w3.org /2012/02/03-eo-minutes.html#action02]

Shawn: And a reminder to the group when you add a significant piece to the wiki please let the group know.
... Take a look as well at the Training Resource Suite of documents.

<shawn> linked from top of wiki page W3C WAI Training Resource Suite Developing Web Accessibility Presentations and Training http://www.w3.org/WAI/trai ning/Overview.html

Suzette: My interpretation is that yes, we need to match the list of materials to the list of topics in the Training Suite.

Shawn: Did you join the WebEd Community Group?

Suzette: No not yet.

Shawn: Might want to skim the list archives and consider joining that group. They have had interesting email threads recently.

Action items, Availability

Shawn: Please check in on your own actions after this meeting and update your availability for upcoming meetings.

Ian: Is there any way we can provide feedback on e-inclusion website, the fact that it does not model good accessiiblity practice? (Design for All)

Shawn: Yes, work with Suzette.
... Will adjourn early, allow everyone to work on actions, update availability, and remember there are general actions at the top of the EO home page.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Everyone to read Andrew's suggestions and shawn's questions - add your replies to http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Making_Presentations_Accessible_Notes#For_E OWG_discussion [recorded in http://www.w3.org /2012/02/03-eo-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Suzette to send email to list to note additions to wiki. [recorded in http://www.w3.org /2012/02/03-eo-minutes.html#action02]

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/02/03 17:45:11 $