New action items.
The meeting began with a review of the new web based collaboration tools, the tracker and the wiki. Shawn reviewed expectations and procedures and answered questions from group members.
We looked at the Before and After Demo (BAD) and Shadi reported that all comments have been addressed and closed except for one IE8 bug that is coming to resolution. BAD can be published as early as next week. Once that occurs, we will start the EO promotion of the resource. Using our collaborative tools, outreach will be led by the team of Wayne and Sharron with support from Denis and all of EOWG. Logistics of promotion were discussed as well as reminders on how to best use the wiki to collaborate and encouragement to start writing promotions now, not to wait for final publication.
The next topic was the finalization of the document How to Make Presentations Accessible to All, an upcoming item on the promotion list, due for outreach focus in February. Comments on document structure and flow were articulated for submission to the editor.
A discussion followed about the role of EO in helping the Evaluation Task Force to decide a short name to help promote Website Accessibility Evaluation Methodology for WCAG 2.0 when it is ready. For now, EO members are asked to perform a very high level review to make sure the initial approach and positioning is on the right track. Also, EO can participate in the brainstorming for a short, catchy name.
Finally, the group reviewed individual action items using the tracker and commented on any items that are pending and how to do updates as needed. Members are encouraged to check individual action items in the tracker as well as to stay in touch through the Announcments section at the top of the EO home page with group work in progress.
Shawn: Quick review to remind everyone how we are using these tools to meet the goals we set at the face to face. First the action item tracker. As a general rule, get others to agree before actions are assigned to them. Check and make sure it is OK before adding. Verbal agreement or assignment during regular meetings.
... exception is that if you miss a meeting, you get an auto action item to review minutes. We've added a brief summary at the top of the minutes.
... Please update the tracker when you change any action item to keep everyone in sync about where we are.
Andrew: I assume that if you jhave the action to review minutes, no update is needed?
Shawn: Yes, use best judgement about whether others need to know of a change in action item status.
<dboudreau> I think the tracker is a great idea
Shawn: Are there any comments or questions about Tracker?
... Next then is the wiki, which we started using in November and really put to use in December.
... generally EO members should feel free to add to any existing pages. Please check with me before adding new page or new topic.
Denis: Does this mean even the older items and topics on the wiki are open for updates?
Shawn: generally yes, do you have an example?
Denis: No just for general info. If we finish something, like the BAD review, and 6 months later we decide to change something?
Shawn: Right now, we have nothing that is closed. I should be getting notices of updates. For now, feel free to update. Once we close an issue, it would be your responsibility to bring attention of group to item if it is older and you think it needs revision.
... The EO homepage has two sections. The Agenda section and Announcements and Meetings that has actions for everyone in January.
... that is what we are working on Right Now. The wiki has historical and future plans, and is more granular.
Shawn: At F2F, we discussed the need to promote the existing documents. That promotion will be the bulk of our work for the next few month, including updating information and promoting resources that are existing rather than creating a lot of new materials.
... the first document we did was the one under Jennifer's lead - "Contacting Organizations..."
Shawn: There is a record of the types of blurbs sent, some responses, contact list and such. Even thought the focus was in December, you can continue to use these suggestions as appropriate.
... we wanted to try to better track any uptake of materials and outreach. Please be on the lookout for these pickups and record them. Jennifer, any advice?
Jennifer: I would just say that we had talked of doing this in teams, and I think it's important to coordinate and share duites. It can take a fair amount of time, but defintely seems worth it.
Shawn: While one person or team will lead, everyone is expected to participate.
<JasonB> We did a post and couple of tweets before Christmas which I will add to the Wiki
<scribe> ACTION: Denis will do the French translation and specific promotional effort in French speaking countries for "Contacting Organizations..." [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/01/13-eo-minutes.html#action01]
Shawn: Shadi do you want to do a status update on BAD?
<shawn> BAD: http://www.w3.org/WAI/demos/bad/
<shawn> disposition of comments: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-eo/2012JanMar/0006.html
Shadi: I believe all comments are closed. Last ones related to band names on tickets page. One minor CSS bug related to IE8 but expected to be addressed soon. Could publish as early as next week.
Shawn: Great, thanks!
... Promoting BAD was to be led by Char and Cliff but they are no longer going to be available to do that. Does anyone else want to take the lead on that?
<dboudreau> i will push it through tweets at the very least
<dboudreau> i'm willing to help draft stuff
Shawn: Task will be to draft blurbs, blog posts, tweet texts, etc
<scribe> ACTION: Sharron to lead BAD promotion with Wayne [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/01/13-eo-minutes.html#action02]
<dboudreau> won't have time to lead this but i can spend some time helping
Shawn: And everyone should be thinking about how to promote it.
Denis: I can help as well. I cannot lead, but can help brainstorm with Sharron and Wayne.
Shawn: And one of the beauties of the wiki is as a collaboration tool so you don't have to make time to meet.
Jennifer: There is a general promotions page that helps get started.
Shawn: Yes, from main page is one called "Contacts for Promotion"
Jennifer: There are contacts on the main promotion page that you may want to use.
Shawn: Just to get the juices flowing...think about writing a short article to be published by dot net; or Is there a local group meetup where you can give a presentation; or are there other media outlets that may have interest in this topic?
... one of the main goals of the effort is to get beyond the WAI IT list and to reach those that we may not have reached so far.
... other ideas on promoting BAD?
... if you put something in IRC, please speak up as well for those not watching.
Shawn: Background is that when we added expand/collapse function, we knew we had to look at the page organization again. Thanks to Vicki and Andrew for comments.
Shawn: Suggestion was to remove the word "Additional" and leave as "Benefits". In this case, move this item up in the TOC to the position after "Provide Accessible Material"
... The reason using "Additional" was that we do not feel the benefits are a complete list. Since it is just a partial list, wanted to give that sense.
Vicki: Reading the TOC, this item is weak. By saying, this is an "additional benefit" rather than the straight forward Benefits.
Liam: Agree. Just call them benefits and start with "Some of the benefits..."
RESOLUTION: Delete "Additional" before benefits.
Shawn: Next suggestion is instead of having it as a separate item, include it in "Provide Accessible Material"
... but the benefits go beyond materials.
Andrew: I had a similar thought about moving Benefits nearer the top, so that immediately you are aware of why to do this.
Shawn: We wanted to get folks right into the heart of WHAT to do rather than getting bogged down in why. So we decided to move it near the bottom and keep the actual tips up front.
Liam: The key benefit is presented up front. I think we should leave as is.
Shawn: The next point is to shift "Terminology" placed before "For More Information"
Liam: Terminology feels like as appendage, more like a glossary. Should leave as is.
... could make the title more accurately descriptive.
Vicki: No strong feelings about this, it's fine as is.
Shawn: The questions was if "Known and Unknown Audiences should be placed straight after "Planning the Event".
... this is another place where we may want to move people along to the guidance ASAP and put supporting and intro info further below.
... also related to that is the section "Be Open to Accessiiblity Issues" I felt that didn't flow as well and perhaps should be integrated differently.
... let's look at those three sections in the overall flow.
Shadi: As I recall, we tried to make the Basics section as short as possible. That was before we had expand/collapse. But now that we do have this, we could put these together as subsections of Basic. Can play around with differnt placements of the expand/collapse button.
Andrew: Very much in favor of merging the sections "Known and Unknown" with "Be Open.."
... recommend just merging those two rather than moving them into Basics.
Vicki: I agree with these observations. But would keep benefits separate and highlight the benefits on their own.
<AndrewA> agree with vicki to keep 'benefits' separate
Shawn; There is an example of two levels of expand/collapse in "How People..." doc. The default is to keep the sections collapsed.
Shadi: We have small pieces in that document that are by default expanded. We could use a similar approach here. Choosing which sections are open or closed by default.
Shawn: I propose to send this suggestion to the editor, have her play with it and come back with her recommendations based on that input.
... Would be great to have some translations ready when we start the promotions.
Shadi: I am wondering about combining some other sections. "Provide Accessible Materials..." with "Preparing Slides..." and "Provide recordings" Seems like these are similar enough to be combined.
Shawn: Andrew's comments in the wiki kind of refer to this as well.
<shadi> [[consider changing "For More Information" -> "Resources" (and check links)]]
Shawn: conceptually what we did was approach the use cases and at one time had it divided between organizers and presenters.
... but then decided we could not anticipate the use cases sufficiently and so tried to make headings so that people could easily find what they needed for their specific situation.
... so we tried to organize instead by timeline.
... does that background help to determine how to rethink it for the roles?
Andrew: So if the sections within sections expand and collapse that could help.
... even if you are both a presenter and organizer, you would look at the material differently depending on which role you are considering.
Shawn: But some of it is relevant to both.
... don't want to hide it in one or the other section.
Shawn: Propose to merge "Providing Recording..." into "Provide Accessible Material" section
RESOLUTION: merge "Providing Recording..." into "Provide Accessible Material" section
Shadi: Yes I think it would work or at least putting them closer to each other.
Shawn: The idea was that it was presented as more of a timeline. Each section given in the supposed orser of doing the things.
Shadi: I remember the timeline discussion but still wonder if things that are so closely related appear closer to each other.
Shawn: There is an internal link to the section.
Shadi: That could work if the links go both ways.
RESOLUTION: In "Provide Accessible Material" consider link to "Preparing Slides and Projected Material"
Shawn: Andrew suggested that organisers be encouraged to include a link from their website to the speaker suggestions contained here.
<shadi> +1 to Andrew
RESOLUTION: Suggest somewhere that organisers include a link from their website to the speaker suggestions contained here.
RESOLUTION: Submit suggestion to change final sentence to something like: "Therefore, organisers need to ensure the facility is accessible, while speakers need to describe pertinent visual content, speak clearly into the microphone. Many other points are discussed below for the consideration of both organisers and speakers."
Shawn: Next point is to make clear that references are for both organizers and presenters
Shawn: Next point is Andrew's list of suggested links. We want to be judicious about linking out. Can you review and determine if they are truly relevant?
<scribe> ACTION: Andrew to review suggested links for "Making Presentations..." for possible inclusion or additional points. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/01/13-eo-minutes.html#action03]
Jennifer: Could be that we could ask those who created those materials to link back to ours.
Shawn: We might decide to comment on the links if we include them. To let readers know what we think is relevant about it.
... so if for example, the info is mostly about the facility, we could link from within that section.
Wayne: One thing about referring to ACM is that I am not sure that all of it is good advice.
Shawn: When we are considering linking to a document, if there are things that we do not agree with, our default has historically been to NOT link to it.
Wayne: But they do have good organizational stuff.
Sharron: Wayne, while I have you on the phone, are you OK with switching our promotinal team focus from the "Components..." project to BAD?
<scribe> ACTION: Wayne to work with Sharron on BAD promotion [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/01/13-eo-minutes.html#action04]
Denis: Will be talking at CSUN about community. Should we use these documents and the WAI work as a basis for the panel?
Shawn: yes definitely a part of it.
... for others, the CSUN panel will be Shadi, Jennifer, Denis, Sharron, Jennison and Shawn
<scribe> ACTION: Shawn to prep for CSUN panel that includes EO members and invite input from all of EO [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/01/13-eo-minutes.html#action05]
Denis: Any concerns about the length of the "Presentations..." document
Shawn: It is tangential to our core work, so we were trying to limit the amount of time spent on it. Are you thinking of the doucment in relation to Barcamps, and Access Camps?
Denis: Yes, for example speaking too quickly may have relvance for sign language.
Jennifer: I would personally vote to get it circulating for CSUN timing and come back to it for updates.
Shawn: Agree but maybe could add just a sentence or two specific to that situation.
<AndrewA> Denis' suggestion re speaking speed & sign language fits right under 'Speak clearly. And avoid speaking too fast.' as extra reason
Shawn: our goal is to complete it in January and promote it in February. We want to get it out.
... can always add to it after inital circulation.
Wayne: The comment about pace is important. Powerpoint contributes to whipping through content rapidly, sometimes too fast.ACTION: Denis to add to wiki thoughts on "Presentions" document additions [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/01/13-eo-minutes.html#action06]
Denis: how do we manage simultaneous changes?
Shawn: In the wiki, you can note which version your comments related to
<Sinarmaya_> I have a suggestion for international presentations, thinking in the translators: Provide you presentation previously to the translators and if it is possible give they any information about the special or technical vocabulary that you will use. (or something like that)
Sharron:Reads Emmanuelle's IRC comments to group.
<AndrewA> good point
Shawn: Question is whether it is relevant to accessiiblity? Important for internationalization...but relevant from accessibility standpoint?
Denis: Yes, we think it is an accessibility issue. it is absolutely necessary for sign language interpreters.
Shawn: Can you simply expand to say provide info for CART writers, sign language and translators?
... I am comfortable integrating it into what we already have.
... anything else?
Shawn: Nearing publication as first draft.
... anyone have a chance to do a highest level review?
Shadi: Just a reminder that it will be a technical spec and will integrated into that suite of documents. Will have intro and is geared toward organiztions that provide these services rather than to general public.
Shawn: What he said should be clear from the document, so that would be useful for review.
Andrew: Also applicable to organizations that do self-evaluations?
Shadi: yes, I hope the introduction will give good indication of its intended audience.
... in this first draft, we aim to have a document that people will understand its purpose. Need a short title.
Shawn: So who is up for the highest level review? in January?
<scribe> ACTION: Liam to review Website Accessibility Evaluation Methodology for WCAG 2.0 within next week [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/01/13-eo-minutes.html#action07]
Denis: My comment is that with the effort we have had with our acronyms I am not sure that is so important.
Shadi: While the group that is developing the doc is not as interested in the acronym, it is an issue for EO since this group is responsible for promoting and marketing.
Shawn: In terms of the messaging aspects, it is difficult to change a title once it is set. It is worth considering now to get it right from the start.
Denis: So does EO decide or do we have to wait for Eval TF?
Shadi: Let's follow up with this offline.
Shawn: We recognize the need for a short name and title before publishing the doc as a Draft. It falls to EO to support and suggest those names to the Eval TF group which is focused on tech aspects.
... comment please on the suggestions that have been compiled on wiki page.
Shawn: Note that in addition to the specific items listed on Action tracker page, there are Actions for All at the top of EO home page.
... You may recall an email for recommittment sent in December. List of current participants is the result of that outreach. It has current status and is posted.
Shawn: Remember to check these items, update as needed and be prepared to report on significant changes at each meeting. In meantime, we are adjourned. Thanks everyone.