PIL OWL Ontology Meeting 2012-05-21
From Provenance WG Wiki
- previous meeting
- date: 2012-05-21
- time: 12pm ET, 5pm GMT
- via Zakim Bridge +1.617.761.6200, conference 695 ("OWL")
- wiki page: http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/PIL_OWL_Ontology_Meeting_2012-05-21
- titan page: http://titanpad.com/6lh6UZ2qwq
- next meeting
For the issues that you are assigned:
- describe the original concern
- describe any perspectives already expressed
- recommend next step, or propose a solution
- seed: ActivityInvolvement subclassOf [ on prov:hadActivity max 0 ] .
- done: Tim to add to ontology. (and an annotation to the axiom)
- done (was added): Daniel consider adding the constraint to avoid the "other side"
- http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/83 annotate prov:inverse local names
- Daniel to review and comment.
- TODO: Tim to draft narrative for the appendix
- done: Daniel to place this on the wiki (so it can be maintained) http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/Inverse_properties_discussion#Inverse_properties_discussion
- TODO: Tim to review the list.
- Including replies by stian
> prov:actedOnBehalfOf prov:responsibleFor. ->+1 > prov:activity prov:activityInvolvement ->+0. I suggest "activityInvolvementOf". no, not "of" - as whatever involvement will be the right hand side. The activity is not an activity-involvement of the involvement. :assoc1 a prov:Association ; prov:activity :a1 .b :a1 prov:activityInvolvement :assoc1 . > prov:agent prov:agentInvolvement ->+1. I suggest agentInvolvementOf. Same response as prov:activityInvolvement . > prov:alternateOf prov:alternateOf->+1 > prov:atLocation prov:locationOf ->+1 > prov:derivedByInsertionFrom prov:hadDerivationByInsertion ->+1 > prov:derivedByRemovalFrom prov:hadDerivationByRemoval->+1 > prov:dictionary prov:dictionaryInvolvement ->+1. I suggest to add the "Of" at the end. Same > prov:entity prov:entityInvolvement ->+1. I suggest to add the "of" Same. > prov:generated prov:wasGeneratedBy->+1 > prov:hadActivity prov:wasActivityOfInvolvement. ->+1 > prov:hadGeneration prov:generatedAsDerivation. I see you did not vote on this - no wonder as it's a confusing property name! Any better suggestion? Remember it is the inverse pointing back to the prov:Derivation. :e2 prov:qualifiedDerivation :deriv . :deriv a prov:Derivation ; prov:entity :e1 ; prov:hadGeneration :e2Gen . :e2 prov:qualifiedGeneration :e2Gen . :e2Gen a prov:Generation ; prov:generatedAsDerivation :deriv . > prov:hadOriginalSource prov:wasOriginalSourceOf ->+1 (why not just "originalSourceOf")0 To keep it as a verb in past tense. But perhaps this naming style is not so good in the inverse direction, which is pointing towards the future? > prov:hadPlan prov:wasPlanFor->+1 (Or wasPlanOf) Yes, wasPlanOf is probably better, as the range will be to some Involvement. > prov:hadRole prov:wasRoleIn ->+1 > prov:hadUsage prov:wasUsedInDerivation ->+1. Why not "usedInDerivation"? This is the equivalent of prov:generatedAsDerivation above. I think I added 'was' to clarify the direction - the Usage did not "use". However you can argue the Generation did not "generate" either - so they :e2 prov:qualifiedDerivation :deriv . :deriv a prov:Derivation ; prov:entity :e1 ; prov:hadUsage :e1Usage . :e1Usage a prov:Usage ; prov:entity :e1 ; prov:wasUsedInDerivation :deriv . It is also a bit strange as to me it reads like :deriv is a prov:Activity rather than just some details about the derivation. But the real activity is just implied here.
> prov:hasAnnotation prov:annotates. ->+1(This is getting removed) > prov:inserted prov:wasInsertedBy. ->+1 > prov:involved prov:wasInvolvedWith ->+1 > prov:involvee prov:involvement ->+1 > prov:member prov:inMembership ->+1. > prov:membership prov:membershipOf->+1 > prov:qualifiedAssociation prov:associatedActivity ->+1 > prov:qualifiedAttribution prov:attributedEntity ->+0. I suggest to rename it quoalifiedAttributionOf. > prov:qualifiedCommunication prov:informedActivity->-1. It is very similar to wasInformedBy. I think that something like "qualifiedCommunicationOf" is better > prov:qualifiedDerivation prov:derivedEntity ->+0. I prefer qualifiedDerivationOf > prov:qualifiedEnd prov:endedActivity->+0. I pr efer quoalifiedEndOf > prov:qualifiedGeneration prov:generatedEntity->+0. I suggest qualifiedGenerationOf. "generated" and "generatedEntity" could lead to confussion. > prov:qualifiedInsertion prov:insertedToDictionary ->+1 > prov:qualifiedQuotation prov:quotedByEntity ->-1. It could be confused with wasQuotedBy. I suggest to rename it qualifiedQuotationOf. > prov:qualifiedRemoval prov:removedFromDictionary -> rename it to qualifiedRemovalOf > prov:qualifiedResponsibility prov:responsibleAgent. ->+0 I suggest qualifiedResponsabilityOf > prov:qualifiedRevision prov:revisedEntity ->+1 I suggestqualifiedRevisionOf (to keep the same pattern) > prov:qualifiedSource prov:sourcingEntity ->+0 I suggest qualifiedSourceOf > prov:qualifiedStartByActivity prov:activityStartedActivity-> this is being dropped. > prov:qualifiedStart prov:startedActivity ->+0. I prefer qualifiedStartOf. It can be confused with "wasStartedBy" > prov:qualifiedTrace prov:tracedEntity ->+0. I suggest qualifiedTraceOf > prov:qualifiedUsage prov:consumingActivity ->+0. I suggest cualifiedUsageOf
I have no hard feelings about any of these. I removed the "qualified" prefix so that it would somewhat match up with the outgoing prov:activity/prov:entity/.... This will effectively point to the subject of the reified triple. I agree we should be consistent with the pattern. (My pattern was prov:.*(Activity|Entity|Agent) )
Just remember the direction. It will be for instance:
- e2 prov:wasDerivedFrom :e1 ;
prov:qualifiedDeriation :e2Deriv .
- e2Deriv a prov:Derivation ;
prov:entity :e1 ; prov:derivedEntity :e2 .
So "qualifiedDerivationOf" would read wrong to me - because it is :e1 we derive from, not :e2. I also struggled in that these need to be specific per involvement type to be proper inverses of the specific qualified*, so you can't say have a general prov:qualifyingEntity.
> prov:specializationOf prov:generalizationOf ->+1 > prov:tracedTo prov:tracedFrom ->+1 > prov:used prov:wasUsedBy ->+1 > prov:value prov:valueOf ->+1 > prov:wasAssociatedWith prov:wasAssociateFor ->+1 > prov:wasAttributedTo prov:contributed ->+1 > prov:wasDerivedFrom prov:hadDerivation. ->+1 > prov:wasEndedBy prov:ended ->+1 > prov:wasGeneratedBy prov:generated ->+1 > prov:wasInformedBy prov:informed. ->+1 > prov:wasInvalidatedBy prov:invalidated->+1 > prov:wasQuotedFrom prov:wasQuotedBy ->+0. Other relationships using "By" denote agency. I suggest to rename it wasQuotedIn.
Oh no, this is a sensitive one for us two! The range of the inverse will be the quote entity (the paragraph), so you can't say "bible quoted in" - there is nothing more to be inside.
What about prov:quotedAs ?
> prov:wasRevisionOf prov:hadRevision ->+1 > prov:wasStartedByActivity prov:activityStarted ->+0. This is being removed. > prov:wasStartedBy prov:started ->+1
- https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/372 qualified prop chains
- (prov:qualifiedUsage prov:entity) rdfs:subPropertyOf prov:used .
- Why the new "RL++ errors"?
- Jun/Stian/Satya will take a look and report back what that error message means so that we can include them in the HMTL page (send emails to 372 chain)
- Satya: playing with protege OWL API. Trying to recreate the error.
- ... Stian sent a summary.
- ... shouldn't be a problem
- Stian: thinks a bug in the OWL API.
- Jun: tried to reproduce the error, but it never worked (never got anything back).
- https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/374 prov:membership [ a prov:Membership ]
- TIm: why do we have the indirection?
- TODO: Stian to think it through and reply on the list.
- Khalid: b/c it was incomplete.
- Stian: "complete membership" we have CompleteMembership.
- can be Closed?
- atributes of prov:Start will not apply to prov:Association (since prov:Start is subclass of EntityInvolvement, while prov:Association is subclass of AgentInvolvement)
- For Involvement example - use non PROV properties (not use specific sub-type of involvement)
- Activity is still not optional for Usage (it is for Generation)
- Satya: binary rlation should have two required parameters
- ... In Genarted, Activity is optional.
- ... In Usage, it is NOT.
- TODO: assign to DM.
- mapping page issues: http://www.w3.org/mid/F648B35D-A75B-438E-B6D1-B15CE4EFECDA@rpi.edu
- OPENED https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/315)
- Inferences captured by formal semantics by James?
- wasQuotedFrom still not subproperty of wasAttributedTo
- someone want to take this one?
- TODO: ask Paolo if we can close
- OPENED https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/315)
CLOSED by Luc/James ISSUE-213 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/213)
- This issue seems to be have been resolved pending review
- James responded: http://www.w3.org/mid/3F1D93AC-42BD-4914-A4D1-AE34DA98C4C4@inf.ed.ac.uk
CLOSED by Luc ISSUE-253 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/253) (seems to be) Closed
Moved to Best Practices. ISSUE-296 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/296) SpatialThing not part of DM/O. Can be closed?
POSTPONDED ISSUE-284 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/284) Not resolved, but can be closed for now
POSTPONDED ISSUE-289 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/289) Not resolved, but can be closed for now
CLOSED ISSUE -306 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/306) Closed
CLOSED ISSUE-275 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/275) Closed (bundles not part of DM)
CLOSED ISSUE-290 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/290) Resolved? (could not find "Starting" in DM)
CLOSED ISSUE-291 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/291) Resolved (Closed?)
CLOSED ISSUE-292 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/292) (Closed?) ActivityInvolvement disjoint with EntityInvolvement
CLOSED ISSUE-293 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/293) Can be closed
CLOSED ISSUE-294 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/294) Not sure what the issue is (related to signature of Derivation), can be closed ?
CLOSED ISSUE-297 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/297) can be Closed? (wascheduledafter not part of DM) voting on email thread "provenance of provenance", http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-prov-wg/2012May/0162.html)
CLOSED ISSUE-300 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/300) Resolved (Closed?) Quotation is subclass of EntityInvolvement which is disjoint from ActivityInvolvement There is no class called "Quote"
CLOSED ISSUE-301 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/301) Closed? (Collections being addressed separately)
CLOSED ISSUE-310 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/310) Closed?
CLOSED ISSUE-356 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/356) Open needs to be resolved
CLOSED ISSUE-283 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/283) Note and Location are still not subclass of Entity.
- Additional cross references in http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/raw-file/tip/ontology/Overview.html
- Stian: Looks really nice with the new additions
- Paul suggests "class can be used with relationship" http://www.w3.org/mid/CAJCyKRqsy4oTor8D8xkpSDUMaOPAsXER+Cxsh1crU-vHCK3EmQ@mail.gmail.com
- Stian: Yes, less confusing than "parent in domain of"
- "in domain of" atTime (from EntityInvolvement) <----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Stian: Good tradeoff between clarity and truthfulness :)
- Jun: dificutl to tundertsant how to use every trm in the ontology. b/c don't knwo what concept/properties can be used together.F
- ... concerned, might need work on qualification and expanded terms narratives.
... people have been saying there there is "systematic patterns" for qualifcations.
- TODO: what is the purpose of the pattern. used "qualifiedX" to class X (e.g.)
- TODO: Jun to revisit where the pattern is. http://aquarius.tw.rpi.edu/prov-wg/prov-o
- http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/336 latest round of feedback
- http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/276 coverage
- automation still down.
- http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/348 property naming
- ongoing, describing and documenting is the focus now.
- breaking out collections to prov-oc
- READY TO BE CLOSED http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/363 prov:value collision
- done: Tim to announce and CLOSEd. ([owl changed])
- http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/267 annotate subproperties
- Committed http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/prov/diff/3d85f26e2250/ontology/ProvenanceOntology.owl
- sometimes used comments, sometimes used @ annotate axiom.
Is this justified by annotations?:
CLOSED (after meeting) ISSUE-299 (https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/299) wasAttributedTo is subproperty of tracedTo prov:Attribution is subclass of AgentInvolvement, prov:Trace subclass of EntityInvolvement
- http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/349 turtle examples in cross ref
- TODO: Jun to remove old comments and re-ping on those that still exist.
- https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/track/issues/375 OWL spec property types URLs
- http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/#Functional_Object_Properties <--- Jun thinks this one
- TODO: Tim to implement second link ^^
Stian: I think Ivan's link to owl2-syntax should be OK, at least it has headers like "Functional" as compared to the primer where you might get lost following the link. There's no way we can force the Turtle to be displayed by default, but there is a "Show RDF" button on the top of the page. Nice catch, Stian!
How would you encode http://aquarius.tw.rpi.edu/prov-wg/prov-o#acknowledgements in prov-o?