At the face-to-face meetings in November, EOWG had determined that our highest priority should be to increase global awareness of existing WAI resources. To that end, members volunteered to lead outreach on specific resources in a sequence. "WAI's Resource of the Month" or something along those lines (the timing is yet to be determined). A pilot is to be launched for the year-end holidays that is focused on the resource Contacting Organizations about Inaccessible Websites. Jennifer Sutton previously volunteered to lead this outreach and at today's meeting Jennifer reported on the work she has done and the meeting considered how the rest of the group can support her and expand outreach.
The group reviewed the recently introduced tools that are meant to help support effective collaboration. Tools include the EO wiki and the EO Action Tracker. Each attending member volunteered for specific actions in support of the outreach project and all are pleased to have access to such useful tools. The group expressed thanks to Jennifer for her extensive research and effort and are looking forward to participating in the pilot.
Shawn: In December because of the holidays,I will be paying particular attention to when people are available. Please be sure to check in and let us know when you can attend meetings and contribute to the group work.
Shawn: Follow the link, I hope you are all pleased to see the wiki?
Shawn: It was set up specifically for EO. Permissions are set to allow edits by EO participants. Remember we had planned at the F2F to set up a series of documents for promotions.
... Jennifer drafted a couple of posts, newsletter blurbs, tweets related to the holidays, holiday travel and gift buying to Promote "Contacting Organizations about Inaccessible Websites".
... In looking at how we promoted it previously, in 2010 I noticed that several retail orgs took it up and actually pointed to our article to help their customers who encountered barriers.
... so let's see what we can do as a groups and as individuals. Jennifer, your thoughts?
Jennifer: Not all in my head right now, but have written them down. I sent Shawn a list that won't work for most newsletters because of print deadlines. Maybe we should discuss Denis's comments.
... he said there is one tone in the blurb and then when the article is found, the tone is quite different. His suggestion was for folks to come to a form they could fill out.
Shawn: There was such a form years ago, and it turns out it is still there but has a few problems. For example it is publicly logged and looks like it comes from W3C.
... those major issues could be easily rectified.
... my feeling is that it is doable, but not easy and maybe not so relevant to this phase of outreach. Also, Fix the Web is doing this as well.
<shawn> ACTION: Shawn add to out To Do list to re-look at Contacting Orgs form & old WART [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action01]
<shawn> ACTION: Shawn to get tracker to join IRc channel [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action02]
<scribe> ACTION: Sharron to add Contacting Orgs blurb to KN newsletter [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action03]
Shawn: Look on the wiki page, there is an h3 Draft Posts/Blurbs
... consider the audiences
Jennifer: Now that you have mentioned developers, do we want a blurb specific to them?
...and, is coal in the stocking too American?
Vicki: Yes, I think so.
Shawn: Char, are you a wiki editor, can you make that change?
<scribe> ACTION: Char to edit the blurb to remove that phrase. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action04]
<scribe> ACTION: Sharron to write Contact blurb specific to developer audience [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action05]
Jennifer: I feel a little odd since I suggested it as a simple one to start with. The more I've gotten into it, I realize it's not as simple. Needs coordination.
Shawn: We could have a list and assign contacts. Or, we could maintain a list on the wiki and add to as we do the outreach contacts.
Jennifer: Maybe I am overcomplicating, but it seems that if I send something out, I will not necessarily have the time to be the follow-up contact.
Shawn: cc me and tell them to use me as the follow-up contact.
Wayne: I was thinking it would be useful to have such a list.
... being politely annoying is OK in this case.
Shawn: We could cc our contacts to the eo list.
... if I send an email to a newsletter publisher, I could cc the list.
... so let's say at minimum you list it in the maintained wiki list and then if you are comfortable with it, also copy to the eo list.
... how does that work for folks?
Jennifer: or we could assign outreach to specific eo members from the list I have compiled.
Shawn: Can we post your list to the wiki?
Jennifer: I would remove my bracketed comments.
Shawn: Could we use this as the beginning of an overall list of contacts?
Jennifer: I don't see a problem with that.
Shawn: Then let's look at specific assignments. Who is interested in promoting this?
<shawn> ACTION: Sharron put on Knowbility blog & newsletter [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action06]
Sharron: I am happy to post to the newsletter, to blog and to tweet
<shawn> ACTION: Jennifer to contact some newsletter editors [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action07]
Jennifer: We can reach out to NFB, but their production schedule has likely moved beyond that for the holidays.
<shawn> ACTION: Wayne put out CA Univ System lists [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action08]
<shawn> ACTION: Sharron write up blurb for Developer Audience [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action09]
Shawn: For the developer blurb, look at what is posted to the wiki already.
<IanPouncey> I can talk to Jonathan as well (ex BBC)
Jennifer: I can tweet Jonathan Hassle directly and ask him to help.
Vicki: I can reach out to personal contacts at the UN and the RNIB
<shawn> ACTION: Vicki to contact some folks e.g., RNIB & UN disability newsletter [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action10]
Shawn: Can modify what is there and point people to the wiki. The idea is to give people some choices about how to phrase the common message.
Char: I'll ask Glenda WH
<shawn> ACTION: Char to ask Glenda WH [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action11]
Shawn: Should we say to people that they can use your name as a guest blog?
Jennifer: I don't care about credit, whatever is simple.
Shawn: The long one is definitely your voice.
Jennifer: Maybe write so people know. Credit Jennifer for long one and use other blurbs as needed.
Sylvie: I think the urgent thing is to translate into French, which I will do if it is ready.
Shawn: Denis said he would help.
<shawn> ACTION: Sylvie (& maybe help with Denis) translate the document [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action12]
Shawn: this is for translation of the document itself.
Vicki: I could probably get a translation into Spanish and will look around for someone to do other languages.
Sylvie: What is the format?
Shawn: Because it is not a Technical document, these translations are more flexible.
<shawn> ACTION: Shawn ask if appropriate to "push" to translation list [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action13]
Wayne: Because this is about sending a complaint, translators should have quite a bit of leeway to make it culturally relevant.
Shawn: There were specific suggestions about adding references to specific organziations that would help, I asked them to distinguish between what was done by EO and what was added locally.
Ian: Next week I am starting an accessibility digest within the BBC, I can post and tweet.
... I'll help contact Jon Hassel as well.
<shawn> ACTION: IanP to blog & tweet about, add to accessibility digest mail in BBC, contact Jonathan H. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action14]
Jennifer: If you know him, please take that one.
Shawn: whatever you do, if you add blurbs, post a blog, etc please post to the wiki.
Jennifer: are we all agreed that we are starting today?
Shawn: No objections, Char what is your comment?
Char: The opening sentences are not relevant to everyone.
Jennifer: This was targeted to consumer lists for whom it is relevant.
Shawn: Do you have an edit in mind?
Char: The long one is perfect, it is in Jenn's voice. The short one is meant to be general, but does not come out that way.
Jennifer: Well, I wrote them for me to send. So feel free to change this up and make it specific to your audience and your own voice.
Wayne: The problem seems to be that you have changed points of view.
Char: yes that's it, thanks Wayne
Shawn: Rather than "Does this sound familiar..." to "have you experienced this?"
Jennifer: My point is that you can change it up.
Char: If it is on the wiki, aren't we all meant to use it?
Jennifer: Feel free to just fix it.
Shawn: It is a draft blurb that anyone can do with what they want.
Wayne: Char, are you doing it? Then I'll read it and contribute.
Shawn: and remember it is a wiki so we can track changes.
Shawn: One of my questions is if everyone is comfortable editing the wiki? Do we need a wiki editor?
Jennifer: I am comfortable doing my own edits going forward
Vicki: I am quite comfortable helping anyone who needs help.
Jennifer: I may send you some things, then Vicki as I am learning and getting comfortable.
Shawn: Which email should people use to send things to you to post to the wiki?
Vicki: the one that is used for the group..menezesmiller at gmail dot com
Sylvie: I don't anticipate any problems
Wayne: There is a note at the top - edited by the EOWG, should we add that it was approved in a meeting?
Shawn: But the idea is that we can edit without approval
... I took some from the default W3C, but can change if needed.
Jennifer: But we have seen the results when wiki material is circulated so disclaimer is needed.
<scribe> ACTION: Shawn to remove reference to lack of formal status [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/02-eo-minutes.html#action15]
Shawn: Any other comments about the wiki in general?
Jennifer: I am looking forward to using it. I think it will be valuable.
Ian: Can we add pages?
Shawn: For now, I think we should start small and socialize within the group. So for now, let's check in with the group to add new pages.
... feel free to freely edit any exisitng pages. To start new pages, run it by the group or by me before posting.
Ian: It would be good to have a page on ideas for future discussions.
Jennifer: Page as a marker for Presentations related to CSUN
... they are tricky to get rolling, but once everyone gets used to them they become more useful.
Shawn: remember that it is public information. Access is set to anyone who is a participant in the EOWG, not just active members.
... it is a list of 39 people.
... those are the ones who can edit, but anyone can see it. Good to keep it in mind.
Jennifer: When I add places that I have sent to, do we have a section where we want the list kept? And do we want to track who sent?
Shawn: Do we want a section called "Recent contacts?"
... those of you who have experience with wikis, what is the best way to work with that?
<Sylvie> zakim unmute me
Ian: Full name in brackets after the comment is my preference.
Shawn: We could do first name, last initial.
... my preference is to have more of that information, where additions came from.
Vivki: Normal parenthesis is OK.
Shawn: If going back and forth on things, use + and * rather than color code.
Vicki: I am suggesting parentheses and last name.
Shawn: OK, accepted. When you comment, add you first name, last inital in parenthrses. And if you want to comment on someone's points, use + and green text to agree. Use * and red text to disagree.
Jennifer: Thanks for all your help.
Shawn: There is a W3C tracker system to follow progress on action items, issues and deliverables.
... we have been exploring how to make our actions more formal and maintain more accountablility.
... Ignore "Issues" we won't be using that much just yet. But actions have been entered manually and in future will be added from IRC.
... anyone can edit, change due dates, update status, close actions, etc.
... in general, you do not create actions for other people without their agreement.
... suggestions, comments, ideas on how to use this as a group?
Jennifer: I look forward, easier for me to follow than reading the minutes.
Shawn: In future they will automatically add from IRC. For today, we need a volunteer to add from the minutes the ones from this meeting.
... You can edit other actin items, but should not do so unless you have agreement.
Wayne: This will be great, I will have a place where my items are always finable.
Shawn: There is a list of open actions.
... you can sort however, or set a bookmark for your own name.
... there are two sections - Issues and Actions. We are using Actions. Issues are more about a big topic that the group is discussing and trying to settle.
... who can update the actions from the minutes?
Sylvie: I can do that, how?
Shawn: Go to the minutes and scroll to the bottom where all the action items are listed. Enter each of these with a due date of Dec 8. Associated issue is none. associated product is the document.
Sylvie: What is Raise?
Shawn: It means to add an action.
Sylvie: Click on Jennifer's name?
Shawn: No, use the Raise function and there is a place to enter the person's name.
... other questions or suggestions?
... We will be able to have Track Bot set up the other bots for the meeting.
Jennifer: When we start the Tweet-a-thon, will it be initiated by WAI?
Shawn: I will plan to do that within an hour of the end of the meeting?
Shawn: Let's adjourn, give this some thought and reconvene next week with new ideas.
Jennifer: I expect outreach campaigns to get easierafter this one.
Shawn: Thanks all for your input today. I am looking forward to being more productive using our new tools.