HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

01 Dec 2011

See also: IRC log


John_Foliot, Rich, Janina_Sajka, Mike, Cynthia_Shelly, Judy
JF, janina


<trackbot> Date: 01 December 2011

<JF> Meeting: HTML-A11Y telecon

<JF> scribe: JF

<scribe> Meeting: HTML-A11Y telecon

<MikeSmith> so it seems that if we don't have quorum we may not do a formal call today

<janina> Yes

Subteam Reports: Media; Text; Canvas; ARIA Mappings; Bug Triage

RS; Canvas update

meeting with Microsoft and Moz

decide to leave DrawFocusRing as is

will reopen issue 131 and hope to have a new proposal in within the next week +/-

will add text base line property - appears uncontroversial

Frank Olivier will write a proposal for hit testing and element bounds

will be a modified version of what Rich brought to TPAC

RS: this allows us to tell browser vendors to implement DrawFocusRing

MS: there is now an additional developer at Moz, who implemented support for ABBR in table cells in Moz

RS: next calendar year will be working with Moz, IA Squared and Freedom Scientific on a lot of HTML5/a11y issues

JB: update on Text subgroup status

JB met on tuesday

JB: text group discussed a number of topics

a lot of checking in on status of open issues

Janina and Steve need to schedule some time to finalize meta-generator issue

will bring that to "ready" to submit to Chairs

discussed status of longdesc issue, suspect that will need to be re-surveyed

anticipate a survey mid-december

discussed status of alt-text document that Steve has edited, including a set of bugs filed against it

including some of the troubling text in the HTML5 spec

need to "chase the status" of those bugs

questions around what sections should be normative and non-normative

looked at some of the bugs associated to this sub-group

anticipate next week to have a side-discussion on that, and anticipate resuming in 2 weeks

Tuesday Dec. 13th @ 1:00 PM US Eastern

JB: JF was looking at the Generated Content issue, appears that this is more of a UAAG issue rather than an HTML5 issue

<Judy> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Nov/0234.html

UAAG will take a closer look and advise if they agree

MS: sounds like a lot of progress being made
... not sure if bug triage team can be discussed today, as key players missing

JB: can comment on some of that

one issue discussed at text sub-group was how the bug triage work was going

looked at text-related issues

appears that there is a small and growing set that are being taken care of, as well as a large set rejected, and many that still do not meet a11y needs

hoping that it will make its wy up to next week's meeting

hope that the report be brought forward

many types of 'status' on these bugs, we need to review them

<janina> scribe: janina

<MikeSmith> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Nov/0243.html

jf: Everett has submitted two comments relating to DnD and has not heard back. Needs feedback

<MikeSmith> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Nov/0155.html

<MikeSmith> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Nov/0156.html

janina: Suggest we identify who needs to be in that feedback loop, and proactively get them all into the conversation

jf: Subject focused, not who

ms: We need to be sure to follow up for EZ

jf: Can someone respond? Don't know who?

ms: That's the issue, who?

jf: Should he go to a CP? A bug?

ms: Can't be a CP until there's disagreement of some kind

jf: Too late for bugs?

ms: Bugs are already there. We need a problem description and/or use cases that explain why/what needs to be done that's different from the spec

cs: Would it be useful for EZ to submit as a LC comment

jf: EZ sees three bugs that all seem the same
... If tidying up is all that's needed, I can follow up

ms: Ys
... EZ says editor's responses so far are OK

jf: Should we be pulling UAWG into this?

jb: May be helpful to have a conversation to understand the boundaries and interactions.

ms: Need to make it clear what needs to be done and where

janina: Suggest an agendum next TF call with EZ and UAWG

<JF> MS: one thing I wanted to bring forward as a significant issue

<JF> we have a schedule for getting beyond Last Call

<JF> which involves ensuring all open bugs are resolved

<MikeSmith> http://goo.gl/J7WnX

<JF> the main thing we need to be looking at are any issues that are in Resolved/NeedsInfo status that are tagged with a11yTF

<JF> seems there are about 23 +/- out there

<JF> many were submitted by Greg Lowney that are requiring clarification, and none has come forward

<JF> JB: From mcooper's informal count

<JF> 35 marked as |WONTFIX

<JF> MS: the ones that are marked NEEDSINFO need - info

<JF> some are already assigned to people, but many are not

<JF> we need to make sure that we get followup on these

<JF> it appears that many of the bugs submitted by Greg were more on behalf of PFWG/this task force

<MikeSmith> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13555#c2

<JF> MS: was hoping to review these today, but seems we have no time

<Judy> [judy pasting in info related to discussion above: Rough informal/unconfirmed estimate across all a11y bug since start of last call: 39 new, 4 re-opened, 22 fixed, 18 needs info, 13 invalid, 35 won't fix, 2 later, 2 duplicate, 5 worksforme.

<JF> MS: pasted a link that illustrates problem

<JF> Some of these may be fairly quick to address, but want to be sure that these issues have been noted

<JF> +q

<JF> MS: there are many however that require a more substantive response

<JF> MS: will send a list of the key bugs to the list, so that perhaps some can do some advanced work in anticipation of next weeks call

<JF> but will focus on the key 18 needsinfo bugs ASAP, and then revisit the 35 wontfix bugs

<JF> MS: sniffing for a scribe for next week

<JF> any takers?....

<MikeSmith> adjourned

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/12/01 17:02:26 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Drafocus Ring/DrawFocusRing/
Succeeded: s/UA/UAWG/
Succeeded: s/taht/that/
Found Scribe: JF
Inferring ScribeNick: JF
Found Scribe: janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina
Scribes: JF, janina
ScribeNicks: JF, janina
Default Present: John_Foliot, Rich, Janina_Sajka, Mike, Cynthia_Shelly, Judy
Present: John_Foliot Rich Janina_Sajka Mike Cynthia_Shelly Judy

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 01 Dec 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/12/01-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]