See also: IRC log
Allecia: Good morning. Small number of participants - expect a shorter call today. Please identify your phone number with your IRC handle.
DavidW: Unable to join IRC
Aleecia: Please mute if you are not speaking (someone is obviously unable to hear this direction)
The quotes are from Shane :-)
Aleecia: Any comments on the notes from the last meeting?
... No comments - consider approved
Aleecia: A couple of action items
... Karl could not make the call.
... Set for 2 weeks out (Action-31)
<scribe> ACTION: 34 to Jonathan and Tom have been working on this. Could either of you comment on how much longer needed? [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/11/23-dnt-irc]
<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - 34
Tom: Action-34 - Could have something ready by the end of this week
Aleecia: Moving due date to Friday
Aleecia: Next Action-36 (Issue-95 related)
Shane: In draft to Tom
... action 31 will need to be delayed as I'm out all next week and there are a few of us working on the technical portion (postponed 2 weeks)
Tom: Will have this out soon
Aleecia: Providing 2 more days for Action-36 (Issue-95)
... Action items completed
... Discussing next face-t0-face meeting
... Half-day on Tuesday, continuing on Wednesday and Thursday
<justin> Yes, that!
Aleecia: Looking at moving to half-day on Monday and full days Tuesday and Wednesday
... Excellent host lined up. Hotels - looking for a place near public transit in Belgium
... Expect to have meeting dates soon
... So everyone can setup airfare. For hotels, any hotel near the railline should be fine
... will try to provide several hotel options for different budget ranges
Shane: If Monday is half-day we'll need to travel on Sunday
Aleecia: Understood, we're look at that in trying to balance all of the groups needs - priority is to editor participation
Aleecia: Competing local Privacy Conference the same week
... That's where we stand for now on the next f2f meeting
Aleecia: Next Agenda Item: Tracking Protection Lists
... some of you may be surprised this back on the agenda
<npdoty> I wouldn't say "most" but it's definitely prominently present in the charter
Aleecia: history: initiated some of this discussion. No concensus here as of yet. Remains in limbo
... starting to work through issues on whether we're going to move forward on this or not.
... have 2 proposed editors who will be starting a strawman proposal outside of the W3C space (github)
... Github is a revision tracking tool - this is where they will start
<npdoty> https://github.com/ hosting of a distributed version control system
Aleecia: Two browser companies are going to move forward on this with or without the W3C
<npdoty> "with or without the W3C" might be a little strong, just that editors from those companies have started drafting
<WileyS_> direct quote
Aleecia: Spending quality time over Thanksgiving reviewing the mailing list to make sure strings are appropriately attributed to the correct Issue number
... Will be asking people to take writting assignments for Open and non-assigned Issues
... Rough-cut, not expected to be perfect, complete in 2 weeks -- will then ask editors to take 2nd pass
... A couple issues that I believe need to be taken on by the group (such as site-specific exemption)
... start moving more quickly on items where we have sensible starting points immediately
... We will also have a template as a starting point
... overview, specifications language, examples
... With nothing futher on that, moving right along to Issue-19
Aleecia: Around data collection and use by 3rd parties
<trackbot> ISSUE-19 -- Data collection / Data use (3rd party) -- raised
Aleecia: Spoken a great deal about 1st parties
... How should a 3rd party respond to a DNT signal?
JMayer: I think the sensible approach and has some buy-in around the table and start at 3rd parties can not collect or use anything and then back-into exceptions where collection/use is allowable
Tom: Agrees with Jonathan. Starting with a "do nothing" and then starting adding back in.
<justin> How is that different from what jmayer said?
<npdoty> also sounded like agreement to me
WileyS: rather than taking everything off from the start, the definition should be don't do anything except for certain categories
... and then later describe specific exemptions for those categories in more detail
... agree with jmayer and tl in some ways, just don't want it to start with "Don't collect full stop"
<tl> WileyS, i think we agree
WileyS: something like 'don't collect except for operational and security purposes' and then later detail those
<NinjaMarnau> I would suggest "must not" rather than "should not"
<Frank> Concerned about a broad don't do anything, except
<Frank> Think there are broad categories of things that will be allowed
<tl> we just quibble about how much work the initial drafter is meant to do
Issue: We're not sure where the exceptions should be and ensure they are categorically captured in the base 3rd party prohibition statement.
<trackbot> Created ISSUE-103 - We're not sure where the exceptions should be and ensure they are categorically captured in the base 3rd party prohibition statement. ; please complete additional details at http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/103/edit .
JohnSimpson: There should be no 3rd party exceptions
Aleecia: We can discuss this with each exceptions
... Suspect you will find some of these to be reasonable. If you don't support them be there to convey why you don't.
JohnSimpson: He will do that.
DavidW: Likes the approach that Shane and Aleecia have landed upon. What we're starting to do at this point we're defining "Tracking".
... Anxious to get to the specifics
Aleecia: We may agree to disagree in a few philosophical areas but looking forward to figuring this out
Tom: Largely agree with Shane and feels its more of an editorial task. Generally feels we're in agreement
jmayer: If what we're talking about is pulling exception list items then he's okay with it.
WIleyS: Not looking to pull a fast one and would position langauge such that categories are only referred to and the specifics must stand on their own in the detailed text.
Aleecia: I think we have a good starting point on 3rd parties.
... I think a good starting point is to add this points to the Issue (forcable assigned to Shane)
<jmayer agrees to take this>
<WileyS_> All yours Jonathan. :-)
Aleecia: Thank you all for making the call. Happy to keep it short before Thanksgiving. Coming back to 1st parties on the next call - and trying to get that hammered out.
<npdoty> Happy Thanksgiving!
Aleecia: Will work on exemptions in the meantime via the mailing list
<sidstamm> thanks aleecia!
<aleecia> Thank you all for making the call
<jmayer> ACTION: jmayer to Draft high-level text on third-party responsibilities by next Monday [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/11/23-dnt-irc]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-38 - Draft high-level text on third-party responsibilities by next Monday [on Jonathan Mayer - due 2011-11-30].
<npdoty> trackbot, end meeting
<aleecia> thanks, Nick!