Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

07 Jul 2011

See also: IRC log


Simon, Klaus, Benoit, Mate, Arun, Yeliz, Joshue, Shadi



Round the table introductions - each participant introduces themselves briefly

Shadi Introduces that he is the staff contact

<yeliz> Simon is introducing himself, he is from University of Manchester and he will be chairing the working group

Simon Harper Chair from Manchester

Klaus M from University of Linz - eAccess+ project maybe useful

<arun> who is the current speaker?

Benoit, University of Lyon - online video accessibility for sensory disability

Yeliz, Middle Eastern Technical University - Web Accessibility for Blind users - previously in EOWG

<Joshue> Arun, could you please put that URL into IRC?

Arun, New Delhi - NGO Bi-Directional Access to Information Soc.

<Mate> Máté, MTA SZTAKI (Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Computer and Automation Research Institute), W3C Hungarian Office coordinator

<arun> bapsi.org

Mate, Hungarian Office of W3C - Accessibility Coordinator

<arun> skid.org.in

Josh, NCBI Ireland - Senior Accessibility Consultant

<Joshue> thanks Arun!

Reminder of meeting logistics - http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/ - http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/process - http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/planning

SAZ: discusses logistics for the group

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/process

<Joshue> How to use IRC - http://www.w3.org/2001/12/zakim-irc-bot.html

SAZ: Covers each new page closing with the planning document

Brainstorming research topics - http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Template

SAZ: Points to http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Authoring_Accessibility to describe the wiki process
... and http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Easy_to_Read

<Joshue> SH: The more topics that we find on the wiki, we can use that as a point of reference for future work etc.

<Joshue> SH: Anything you want to look at further please do add.

SAZ: also immediate outcomes http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Web_Page_Sampling

<Mate> sorry I have to leave you now, I will read the minutes

SAZ: any clarifications required?


SAZ: any access problems - can everyone use the wiki?

<Joshue> Yup, can get in fine.

<yeliz> I also get in fine

Topics for further expansion - any volunteers to further expand any topics?

SAZ: Any additional Thoughts?

JO: Has Gestural stuff been added yet?

SAZ: not yet - but in charter - maybe nee more specific topics in the field

JO: Mobile Accessibility is of particular interest - iPhone + voiceover looks really good
... Would like to look at mobile accessibility

SAZ: many aspects - customisation, interfacer, gestural, APIs, etc - could be broken down into individual parts
... AM works in this with larger screens I think

JO: Web Events working Group may back this up - re events and their interaction - cross-fertilisation work

SAZ: JO please add and expand this.

YY: Are we going to focus on just Web Accessibility or general accessibility but could be useful for the Web?
... gives an Affective computing example

SAZ: Both ways

SH: I'd agree with this and there should be cross-pollination

SAZ+SH: Lets be open minded about this

YY: Mobile accessibility is very broad - different slightly from Mobile Web Accessibility

SAZ: Don't feel constrained
... lets just add topics and see what we get with no hard exclusions

AM: Would like to start looking at the wiki before adding topics but some thoughts...

<Joshue> I've got to go, I'll track minutes etc. Bye

AM: starting from info in / info out - assumptions made about the user -
... the way the user wishes to consume data may not be as the browser presents it

<km> my microphone seems to have problems

Upcoming meeting schedule - Thursday 14 July, 2011 - Thursday 21 July, 2011 - Thursday 28 July, 2011 - Thursday 4 August, 2011

SAZ: Any volunteers for the editorial work of the teleconference seminar
... Maybe by suggestions to the mailing list
... Lets start by populating the wiki then we can choose from those topics
... be less constrained - push any ideas out their you want

RESOLUTION: If you're excited by a topic and would like to do the first one - just add it to the wiki and volunteer to be the editor.

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/07/08 11:55:18 $