HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

26 May 2011


See also: IRC log


Cynthia_Shelly, Eric, JF, Janina_Sajka, Judy, Lynn_Holdsworth, Marco_Ranon, Michael_Cooper, Mike, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Steve_Faulkner, Unknown
MikeSmith, Marco_Ranon


<janina> trackbot start meeting

<trackbot> Date: 26 May 2011

<MikeSmith> http://www.w3.org/2011/05/html5lc-faq.html

<MikeSmith> scribe: MikeSmith

Last Call update

<scribe> scribenick: Marco_Ranon

<MikeSmith> scribe: Marco_Ranon

<MikeSmith> http://www.w3.org/2011/05/html5lc-faq.html

MS: LC has been annouced with several informational documents and a FAQ

<MikeSmith> http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html5-20110525/#status-of-this-document

MS: a lot of details about issues and FOs
... those issues in the status sections are open at time of application, but there are links to all the others
... also a link to TF work
... (reading the text from the specs)

<janina> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Work_Topics

JB: there were concerns about going LC ion the TF
... we agreed that current accessibility concerns would be highlighted in this LCWD, and that improvements on those could be highlighted in some manner in updated working drafts
... there should be better coordination between chairs and TF to help address pending issues within the HTML WG decision process and the TF consensus process
... it would be useful to bring to the TF some discussion about the process.
... JB: it would be useful to encourage external reviewers to provide additional use cases to help the decision process
... in addition, we want to be careful about the WG and TF consensus prcess. Janina and I will look more carefully into issues with process and make sure we meet timelines
... we could ask questions to chairs in a Q/A session in a near future

MS: i've commeted to take action personally and support improving Bugzilla's accessibility
... we could upgrade to v4, but not an easy task. We need to make the entire UI more accessible
... at least the submission of bugs should be made more accessible.
... the comment list can be used and a bug will be semi-automatically generated

JS: who is interested in looking into the TF process and how we fit in the WG?

CS: yes depending on the time

JB: this is process review looking into how to deal with accessibility issues and also the TF processes need to be updated

JF: i can help

JB: another thing is a potential offer by a technical editor with help writing CPs

MS: that's very important

<Zakim> MikeSmith, you wanted to reaffirm that one thing that has become clear is that we subteams have been particularly effective

JF: Media sub-team

Sub-team reports

JF: we discussed "clean audio"

JS: we put on hold the clean audio discussion until we understand it better
... looking for help from outside the TF, if you have contacts please help
... no wiki page on clean audio but good email chain

<JF> +q

JF: about poster alt, we are looking into impact on ARIA and ARIA.next
... should we introduce new roles?

RS: i think we should have a small set in ARIA to fix holes in HTML5

<JF> Rich, here's the email: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011May/0559.html

RS: we are going through CR with ARIA, so we can start looking into new features

JB: text subteam report
... Laura has already made an additional requested edit to the @longdesc CP; we may have an offer of help on this or others from a technical editor
... @title, meta-generator, role=presentation are coming along
... some disagreement on whether there is new info on figcaption
... table @summary is in GJR hands, some more work required
... table @border has been surfaced recently and should be in text subteam

<JF> +q

JB: where should the text alternatives document it's still under discussion. interesting comments in the LC poll

JF: the text alternative document was created to complement the poor guidance in the specs

SF: it was created because we couldn't get the specs changed, due to different views on the issue by the editor
... documet mirrors conformance requirements in HTML with WCAG advice for correct text alternative

<Zakim> judy, you wanted to speak to the issue of organizing ourselves within the critical timelines during last call, to make sure that all of our issues are fully addressed.

JB: we should coordinate to make sure that all issues are addressed within the timeline
... for next week call we need to plan a review and make sure that we have a process in the TF

JS: we need to coordinate also with WCAG

MS: LC is an opportunity to review the specs and make sure that all accessibility issues are identified

RS: Canvas subgroup
... now we have a draft and we are identifying the gaps
... we need the ability to do hit testing, which is the big thing left out

<MikeSmith> just want to say that the hit-testing feature is something that's very much an instance of the curb-cut analogy

RS: we are making progress, just need the hit testing done to ensure good accessibility in Canvas

MS: a lot of issues trying to implement hit testing but not impossible. implementors are trying to resolve the issue but it might take time
... it's a big shortcoming for game developers and they want implementors to resolve it
... i want to help personally and it should be made a priority

RS: on vacation for two weeks though

SF to scribe next week

<MikeSmith> Stevef will scribe next week

<MikeSmith> adjourend

<MichaelC> trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/05/26 16:15:37 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/seveal/several/
Succeeded: s/sectiona/sections/
Succeeded: s/with writing CPs/with help writing CPs/
Succeeded: s/concerns can be highlighted in new working drafts or another LC/we agreed that current accessibility concerns would be highlighted in this LCWD, and that improvements on those could be highlighted in some manner in updated working drafts/
Succeeded: s/to help to address pending issues within w3c processes/to help address pending issues within the HTML WG decision process and the TF consensus process/
Succeeded: s/to focus on additional use cases/to encourage external reviewers to provide additional use cases/
Succeeded: s/still editing the CP for @longdesc, hoping to have help from technical editor/has already made an additional requested edit to the @longdesc CP; we may have an offer of help on this or others from a technical editor/
Found embedded ScribeOptions:  -final


Found Scribe: MikeSmith
Inferring ScribeNick: MikeSmith
WARNING: No scribe lines found matching previous ScribeNick pattern: <Marco_Ranon> ...
Found ScribeNick: Marco_Ranon
Found Scribe: Marco_Ranon
Inferring ScribeNick: Marco_Ranon
Scribes: MikeSmith, Marco_Ranon
ScribeNicks: Marco_Ranon, MikeSmith
Default Present: JF, Eric, Judy, Mike, Cynthia_Shelly, Michael_Cooper, Janina_Sajka, Steve_Faulkner, Marco_Ranon, Joshue_O'Connor?, Unknown, Lynn_Holdsworth, Rich_Schwerdtfeger
Present: Cynthia_Shelly Eric JF Janina_Sajka Judy Lynn_Holdsworth Marco_Ranon Michael_Cooper Mike Rich_Schwerdtfeger Steve_Faulkner Unknown
Regrets: Paul_Cotton
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011May/0567.html
Found Date: 26 May 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]