Web Events WG Voice Conference

24 May 2011


See also: IRC log


Art_Barstow, Cathy_Chan, Doug_Schepers, Matt_Brubeck, Laszlo_Gombos, Josh_Soref


<scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

<scribe> Scribe: Art

Date: 24 May 2011

Tweak Agenda

AB: I submitted a Draft Agenda yesterday ( http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011AprJun/0112.html ). Any change requests?


AB: any short announcements?

Issue-6 (Open) Touch targets in frames

AB: Issue-6 is the Open state ( http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/6 ). I has two open actions ( http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/actions/24 ) for Doug and ( http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/actions/48 ) for Matt.

MB: I still need to address my action
... as discussed previously

AB: can you give us a rough ETA Matt?

MB: yes, I'll try to get proposals out by Friday

AB: ok, that's good

<smaug> is there a conf call?

<smaug> I'm in HTML Speech f2f

<smaug> so can't attend, sorry

DS: I haven't had time for my action
... will try to get to it this week

<mbrubeck> smaug: Looks like we don't have much new business since the last call, anyway.

DS: I have some other obligations that will make it difficult for me to address my actions

AB: if anyone can help Doug with Doug's actions, that would be great!

Issue-3 (Raised) Click event target after DOM mutation during touchstart

AB: Issue-3 is Raised state ( http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/3 ). Doug has an open action ( http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/actions/23 ) for this issue.

DS: I still need to address this action

MB: we discussed this during May 10 call

<mbrubeck> http://www.w3.org/2011/05/10-webevents-minutes.html#item05

MB: people should read those minutes, especially if they want to help Doug with his actions

Issue-16 (Raised) Should the spec be silent or prescriptive re Object Identity

AB: Issue-16 is Raised ( http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/16 ). Laszlo has an open action ( http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/actions/46 ) for this issue.

LG: no progress yet on this
... need some more context

MB: subsequent touch events contain objects that refer to the same touch point
... or the touch points are in diff lists
... Impl wise, it would be possible to reuse same objects b/w events
... or to always use distinct objects
... This impl detail can leak out to content
... Thus for interop reasons, we may want to specify if objects should be reused or not

LG: I was wondering about existing impls?
... e.g. the pros and cons here

MB: PPK did some research for Webkit browsers
... there is a link to that blog in the Issue
... and he notes the behaviour may change in Webkit

LG: ok, I can make it clear what Webkit is going to do in the future
... Some of the initial iPhone and Android impls have not been merged to the WK trunk
... so there could be some differences between the WK trunk and what has been implemented
... I assume existing impls will have a significant weight in our decision

AB: I think historically, we have emphasized existing impls

Issue-17 (Raised) Page X and Y parameters to createTouch

AB: Issue-17 is Raised ( http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/17 ). Matt has an open action ( http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/actions/50 ) for this issue.

MB: this is ongoing and should have a proposal by Friday

Proposal to specify behavior for terminals without touch hardware

AB: this topic was started by Gregers Gram Rygg on 12-May-2011 ( http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011AprJun/0098.html ). There were some follow-ups.

MB: a question is how can content do feature detection to determine if the UA is going to make use of touch events or not
... there is concern we don't want content discriminating based on h/w or other factors
... Think we can address some of this by UA capabilities
... e.g. if a user with eye detection h/w could translate eye movements to touch events
... But for UAs that don't implement any of this spec, is it useful for the content to detect this
... most people probably haven't thought about all of the UCs especially wrt accessibility

JS: need something like action events (not swipe)
... I want to be able to register for zoom
... The higher-level spec about user intentions is important

MB: we still have a feature detection issue for contents

JS: we may want to make it hard to use touch events
... and get content devs to focus on High Level Intentional events

DS: I do not want to make it hard for anyone to do anything
... We want it to be easy to do simple things
... Apple's James Craig has done some work related to Intentional Events
... I expect him to ping us when that doc is published (by WAI P&F WG)
... I think people will implement that spec, at least eventually
... and I agree some people will want to use that spec

MB: well, Touch Events will not go away
... f.ex., there will not necessarily be a "paint" event
... Some UCs will use Touch Events and other UCs will use Intentional Events
... and feature detection is needed for Touch Events

DS: I don't think we will see the INDIE events implemented before mid-2012
... but Touch Events as we have been spec'ing are already out there (implemented)
... So devs will need to code for both types of events
... If native impls don't support either of these specs, some script impls may help
... e.g. add to jQuery
... There will be a period of time where Touch Events is supported but Intentional Events are not
... there will be a market reality that these specs will be implemented in phases

AB: we don't have a draft of Intention Events so it causes a problem for use communicating what we intend to do

DS: I can ping James and the P&F WG
... for starters, would like to have an idea of a starting point
... but because of scheduling issues, I don't think that will happen for a couple of weeks

AB: is there an action for me here Doug?
... or do you want to continue to be the lead?

DS: I'll start dialog now
... and then I'll report back

AB: ok, that seems like a reasonable plan


AB: let's plan to have the next call in 2 weeks
... June 7
... meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/05/24 15:42:35 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/determin/determine/
Succeeded: s/JQuery/jQuery/
Succeeded: s/by/but/
Found ScribeNick: ArtB
Found Scribe: Art
Present: Art_Barstow Cathy_Chan Doug_Schepers Matt_Brubeck Laszlo_Gombos Josh_Soref
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011AprJun/0112.html
Found Date: 24 May 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/05/24-webevents-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]