HTML Weekly Teleconference

12 May 2011



Radhika_Roy, Plh, hober, Michael_Cooper, dpenkler, Julian, paulc, paulc_, eliot, krisk, +1.206.922.aabb, adrianba, Judy, MikeSmith, Janina


Action items

<paulc_> Action-202?

<trackbot> ACTION-202 -- Michael[tm] Smith to reconcile W3C pubrules with editor's request to publish polyglot document in polyglot format -- due 2011-05-12 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/202

<pimpbot> Title: ACTION-202: Reconcile W3C pubrules with editors request to publish polyglot document in polyglot format - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

<paulc_> This action item is under dicussion with the team.

<paulc_> We are asking the Director for permission to publish one or more the HTML5 specs in HTML5 format.

plh: we're trying to accommodate the request for polyglot and others

<paulc_> This is currently against the pubrules and we need an exception.

<paulc_> ACTION-202 due in two weeks

<trackbot> ACTION-202 Reconcile W3C pubrules with editor's request to publish polyglot document in polyglot format due date now in two weeks

New issues this week

<paulc_> ISSUE-165?

<trackbot> ISSUE-165 -- Drop rel=pingback -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/165

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-165: Drop rel=pingback - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

bug 12224?

<pimpbot> 11http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12224 contributor, P3, RESOLVED WONTFIX, 13Drop rel=pingback. The Pingback spec seems dead and unused, and redundant with the Referer header.

Julian: wanted to clarify that this is issue a metadata. pingback is in the registry but the issue is really about whether it should be part of hte html spec or not
... pingback isn't defined in the html spec

Paul: was that made it clear in the actual bug?

<paulc_> http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12224#c4

<pimpbot> 1112224: contributor, P3, RESOLVED WONTFIX, 13Drop rel=pingback. The Pingback spec seems dead and unused, and redundant with the Referer header.

Julian: I think it was

Paul: it would help if the issue more clearly identified the meta nature of the issue

Hober: the purpose of the registry is to avoid name conflicts.

Julian: moving from the registry into the spec implies that the spec changes continuously, which is a matter arguing between W3C and WHATWG.

Paul: I'll stop the debate here, since we'll deal with this during LC

Items closed this week

Paul: long list of issues that have been closed.
... didn't get pushback on how the editor closed them
... see fuill list in the agenda


<pimpbot> Title: RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-05-12: Actions, New Issues, Closing Issues, TF reports, Last Call schedule from Paul Cotton on 2011-05-11 (public-html-wg-announce@w3.org from April to June 2011) (at lists.w3.org)

items closing this week

Paul: none

Items closing next week

Paul: none

New Calls this week

Paul: none

New Surveys this week

Paul: none

Decisions this week

Paul: none, but there was a chair ruling (see later)

Task Force Reports

Kris: (testing task force)

<krisk> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-testsuite/2011May/0001.html

<pimpbot> Title: RE: HTML Testing Task Force Conf Call Agenda 5/3/2011 from Kris Krueger on 2011-05-12 (public-html-testsuite@w3.org from May 2011) (at lists.w3.org)

Kris: most of our discussion was about releasing the test suite a few times between now the release of the spec
... no agreement, but there is something that we're still interested to do
... similar to what the css wg did
... we don't want to wait a couple of years before releasing something
... will need more discussion

paul: trying to align the timeline of spec publications with test suite publications?

Kris: correct
... we'll meet again next week

Janina: A11y TF
... the subteam stabilizes on alternate media mediator(?)
... a request for a registry...
... we agreed to pursue that
... this was all based on media requirements for alternate medias.
... several external groups are looking at that list now
... refering to that doc
... we'll improve the document
... take a snapshot and make it a W3C note under PF
... we'll continue to work on that

<scribe> ... continued work on canvas

UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: more discussion around longdesc
... we'll have a request around title coming soon
... work has begun on a html accessibility guide

plh: received a liaison request from 3gpp

<paulc_> The request was sent to the A11Y TF: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011May/0156.html

<pimpbot> Title: Re: Track kinds from Philippe Le Hegaret on 2011-05-07 (public-html-a11y@w3.org from May 2011) (at lists.w3.org)

Janina: working on a response with Judy, will forward the text to you
... this is about the registry btw

paul: eventually, we should involved the wg

Any other business

<paulc_> ISSUE-131?

<trackbot> ISSUE-131 -- Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/131

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-131: Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

Paul: we still have one issue outstanding, issue-131
... Chairs sent out a note on Tuesday
... since we permitted the discussion to continue


<pimpbot> Title: Final decision on Issue-131 from Paul Cotton on 2011-05-10 (public-html@w3.org from May 2011) (at lists.w3.org)

Paul: we asked that the editor implements one of the diff by the end of the day
... if he chooses not to implement the decision, we'll ask the w3c team to help make the change
... this is about the canvas spec btw
... from May 8 to May 15, please review the current editor draft

<paulc_> May 8-15; review Editor's drafts

<paulc_> may 15-22 WG survey on Last call decision

Paul: next one is for the survey on Last Call decision
... expect this survey in the upcoming days

<paulc_> Target date for publication is may 24

Paul: target date for publication is May 24
... there is a moratorium which ends on Monday the 23
... it's possible we may miss that by a few days
... we have 9 documents currently
... and the timeline published sometime ago

<paulc_> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0759.html identified the candidate LC drafts

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-152 survey and Last Call schedule from Paul Cotton on 2011-03-31 (public-html@w3.org from March 2011) (at lists.w3.org)

Paul: we expect 6 documents going to LC, and 3 published as WD at the same time
... the chairs are trying to decide whether we're going to have a single question or 6 questions
... any other business?
... Maciej sent out an email on the results of the document license survey

<paulc_> License survey results: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011May/0121.html

<pimpbot> Title: Summary of HTML WG license survey results from Maciej Stachowiak on 2011-05-09 (public-html@w3.org from May 2011) (at lists.w3.org)

Paul: the information was passed on to the W3C team
... team started a survey with the AC until June 6
... last time the AC did a survey, the results were announced quite publicly
... anything else?
... next meeting: Chair will be Sam
... I'll be traveling
... any volunteer to scribe?

<paulc_> No volunteer


<pimpbot> Title: HTML Weekly Teleconference -- 12 May 2011 (at www.w3.org)

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/05/12 16:38:32 $