10 Aug 2010


See also: IRC log




<renato> i am dialling in now....

<scribe> scribenick: rigo

<scribe> Scribe: Rigo

RI: http://www.w3.org/2010/api-privacy-ws/ is main agenda item today
... tlr will give overview

tlr: draft subject to further editing, hope to have it out in a week
... 45 participants across industry, around 43 position papers
... privacy icons idea
... may fail for the same reasons as P3P
... identify the parameters that users care most about and come up with machine readable things
... others vendors reluctant, but firefox eager to implement
... other thing: data that is gathered via API from the user, parallel to geopriv
... what secondary use, how long retain
... user agent incentives, how to set the defaults, is that desirable, is it ok to leave the enforcement to legal system...
... fairly interesting research papers, also from GSMA and from Hannes (for works at IETF)
... clear that there is interest for best practices for implementation guidance for user agent
... charter an interest group that would succeed PLING and that is chartered more broadly

RI: PLING would morph into PIG

tlr: PLING chartered until feb 2011, and what focus would draw more focus into the group
... browser vendors not eager to participate in policy languages

HT: policy languages didn't go anywhere, so we should really question that

RI: how PLING can be better serving to W3C

HT: better to discontinue PLING and focus on DAP and implementation guidelines
... browser folks actually tried to derail policy languages discussion
... the browser folks aren't there yet, it is an uphill battle, nothing gets recognition

tlr: discussions were indeed difficult
... geolocation implementation experience, when there was discussion of things that the spec didn't say
... and others shouting that they wouldn't have wanted in the spec things like user interface guidelines
... browser vendor folks want to be helpful

<renato> Privacy Rulesets

<renato> http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/privacy-rulesets/

RI: was there some discussions on semantics like retention for those rulesets?


scribe: is that a language that is put together

<tlr> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2010Jul/0121.html

tlr: proposal evolved, proposed in the WG later in the week, try to break it down to 3 basic profiles
... to frame expectations
... lengthy discussion with someone from Chrome, others comments from browsers were reluctant

RW: PrimeLife in Helsingborg reported about rulesets as a business model of selling them in software

tlr: look at URI, they want to simplify to the max, a complete different approach

HT: data handling workshop, given discussion about the previous workshop

<renato> W3C Workshop on Privacy and data usage control

<renato> 04/05 October 2010, Boston

<renato> http://www.w3.org/2010/policy-ws/

RI: thanks tlr for summary, looking forward for report


RI: 2.2 OASIS Privacy Management Reference Model (PMRM) Technical Committee


RI: has anybody joined
... should we do anything about it?

HT: What are they actually doing

AM: they had a 2 hour telecon, where they spoke about reference model, very complicated model
... when you get any kind of data, you have to specify what kind of data, how long you detain it ... not very different from P3P, but may be useful to talk to them

RW: is more of competition to ISO SC 27 WG 5

HT: ISO stuff seriously underspecified
... is OASIS stuff publicly available?

AM: don't know, can dig out the reference model

<renato> The current members:

<renato> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/membership.php?wg_abbrev=pmrm

AM: top down reference model, than it can be subsetted to special needs

RI: don't know if we have sufficient momentum for hte best practices
... MAWG we made proposal to include policy languages

<renato> http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-mediaont-10-20100608/#core-property-definitions

ma: policy

tlr: not in the last call tracking, we had some request to them, something looks like we should check

RI: confirm that we should check
... I'll check that and make sure that they took it up

<tlr> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pling/2010May/0006.html

tlr: last call comments due 11 July, but I think we can still make a comment.

<tlr> also, Creative Commons isn't a "Security Policy"?!

RI: properties ma:copyright and ma:policy are very confusing, that was our main comment

tlr: could rename copyright to ma: riightsholder

<scribe> ACTION: Renato to contact MAWG and propose changes to ma:copyright definition and change "security policy" in ma:policy [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/08/10-pling-minutes.html#action01]

tlr: liaison with geopriv is mainly done and there are two opposing models and we discussed a lot with the result to agree to disagree
... so the item is done




<renato> ODRL Workshop...privacy, icons, virtual goods... http://virtualgoods.org/2010/program.html

RI: Namur

<renato> Social Web XG - Final Report

<renato> Section on Privacy and other standards: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/FinalReport#Social_Web_Technologies_and_Standards

RI: social web XG is writing up final report, but very draft for the moment
... announce Polcy WG

<renato> http://www.w3.org/Policy/pling/wiki/2010-09-14

Next meeting: 14 September with invited talk from Pete Bramhal talking about EnCoRE



Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Renato to contact MAWG and propose changes to ma:copyright definition and change "security policy" in ma:policy [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/08/10-pling-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2010/08/10 13:06:16 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/unfortunately, your perception is accurate/discussions were indeed difficult/
Found ScribeNick: rigo
Found Scribe: Rigo
Inferring ScribeNick: rigo

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

Present: Hannes

WARNING: Fewer than 3 people found for Present list!

WARNING: No meeting title found!
You should specify the meeting title like this:
<dbooth> Meeting: Weekly Baking Club Meeting

Agenda: http://www.w3.org/Policy/pling/wiki/2010-08-10

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Got date from IRC log name: 10 Aug 2010
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2010/08/10-pling-minutes.html
People with action items: renato

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]