HTML-A11Y telecon

28 Jul 2010

See also: IRC log


Judy, John_Foliot, Janina, Plh, +61.2.801.2.aaaa, Silvia


<janina> agenda: this

1. Action Item Review


<scribe> scribe: silvia

judy: can we pick up an action item for pairs of people to do edits to the requirements document

… I have a few more edits to do in the next few days

silvia: I have edited all of the items that Sean and I had to do

… only the extended captions section could do with a group discussion

… to have a better grasp on what features we need

JF: we have discussed it over the last weeks on the calls, though the minutes may not have everythings

Janina: I think we have discussed extended descriptions, but not extended captions

Judy: let's add it to the agenda

Janina: can do after action item 2

JF: Eric and my feedback still has to go into the wiki

2. Summary--User Requirements and Technical Implications

Janina: review the summary that Janina posted

… maybe lets discuss the use case for extended captioning first


silvia: it is now called extended time-aligned text cues and not any more extended captioning

… the idea behind it is to allow people that have slower reading speed and need more explanation about the captions to get this information from the stream

… things like pausing at the end of a cue to catch up on reading

… and having links to abbreviation explanations etc

Janina: this should be something that should be available to normal captions, too

… I don't see it necessary to have it separate

Judy: the title needs to be reformulated - "cue"s are more like events and not captions

JF: I actually like the idea of removing the word "caption" because the use cases go far beyond just caption users

Judy: we haven't removed the general caption section, so that may be ok
... literacy level of hearing and vision impaired people in comparison to the general population is very different in different countries

Janina: it's not necessary to talk about this in the document

JF: it's not a technical issue

Janina: if the distinction between captions and this section has to do with more extra content beyond dialog, I'm not sure it's necessary

… pause content & review is a need

… hyperlinks is a need

silvia: there is a separate section for these extensions because there is new functionality that is not traditionally understood under the keyword "caption"

Janina: I don't see that we need a different file format for this

JF: no, we don't need a new file format for this, but we need extra functionality

Janina: it doesn't change the timeline, it just introduces pauses

Judy: let's not get bogged down into too much detail

… maybe we need to have an offline discussion on this

JF: I believe we're at the point where we wanted to do a review of Janina's technical requirements email

<janina> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Jul/0126.html

Janina: in the process of discussing in recent weeks, I came up with these terms

JF: are there any holes?

Janina: I am becoming strongly convinced that extended captions and captions are the same file

… other than that I think we are complete

JF: are we at the point where the requirements document can be sent up the foodchain?

… do we need to make this email a more formal document?

Judy: it would be good to get feedback from those not in the meeting

… also, we should look at the different format options

… we had laied out last week what comes next

JF: we said that once we were happy about the requirements doc, we would take another look at the technical implications

… discuss XML formats

… discuss streaming implications

<Judy> judy confirms that we still have user requirement edits to complete.

<JF> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Accessibility_Requirements#Extended_Time-aligned_Text_Cues

silvia: to some extend we need to finish editing the user requirements before we can specify the detailed technical requirements

… Janina's email is a great summary document on the technical conclusions

scribe: it would be good to turn that into a document in the wiki, too

… in addition, we can go through the user requirements document and add some small technical conclusions on each requirement

Judy: I'm hoping we can get the details in the wiki asap we can move forward with discussions on file format

silvia: what makes this even more urgent is that Ian has now included a file format and media a11y solution into the HTML5 spec

… even if the file format is only in the WHATWG spec - it has had influence on the general solution

JF: timeline and milestones are indeed important

… but we need to answer the open questions

Janina: if I understand silvia correctly, it makes sense to put a bit more effort into the requirements document to have the individual requirements in the document

silvia: I don't think it's much extra effort - we have discussed all of these details already

… as I was editing the wiki and included the feedback from the questionnaire, I have included technical notes underneath the individual user requirements to give better understanding to technical people what the user needs actually mean

… this doesn't need a new document, but just dense notes underneath the individual user requirements

… but an extra document that captures the high-level technical conclusions that Janina has summarised would be good

JF: Eric and I have been discussing the technical consequences of the user requirements, too

… we should indeed put the summary page into the wiki

Janina: anyone against including the summary page into the wiki?

… I'm in favor of it and I hope we can pull this all together real soon

JF: I'll create the wiki page

3. Starting a Technical Gap Analysis

JF: do we want to spend the next 25 min on this?

silvia: what do we mean by "technical gap analysis"? does it mean we compare the current HTML5 spec with our requirements to identify gaps?

JF: yes, probably

general discussion about approach

… it seems the group agrees to discourage browser vendors at this stage from implementing anything

… we as a group need to do a good analysis of what is being proposed

… we as a group also need to analyse alternatives of what is being proposed

… we should also invite others to explain how the current spec is meeting our user requirements

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Accessibility/Video_Text_Format <- is an alternative format that I am playing with


<Zakim> Judy, you wanted to address John's question and to

silvia: I've been experimenting with the above format and comparing to other options to find out about advantages/disadvantages

JF: I think it's important that we can show that we are indeed looking at other options

silvia: also note there is a new subtitling format in development in the subtitling community called AS6

<Judy> judy will get back to wrap up of user requirement edits, to finish that

JF: ongoing action items for user requirements edits

<scribe> … new wiki page to add with summary on technical requirements

<janina> OK!

<janina> Thanks, Silvia!

<janina> let me try again ...

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2010/07/28 23:46:06 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/document/email/
Found Scribe: silvia
Inferring ScribeNick: silvia

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

Default Present: Judy, John_Foliot, Janina, Plh, +61.2.801.2.aaaa, Silvia
Present: Judy John_Foliot Janina Plh +61.2.801.2.aaaa Silvia
Got date from IRC log name: 28 Jul 2010
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2010/07/28-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]