i18n telecon

26 May 2010

See also: IRC log


Richard, David, Felix, Andrew, Mati, Norbert


<scribe> ACTION: david: propose clarification text for HTML5 date-local section DONE [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/05/26-core-minutes.html#action01]

Info Share

norbert: today is the last day for Unicode Conf abstract submission

richard: next week partners in multilingualweb EC project meeting in Bucharest
... some tests already integrated into CSS test suite, more on the way
been doing a lot of work lately on updating the test format to make usable with other test suites

Bidi note progress

hoping for finalisation of issues around the time of the bidi meet up

Mati: we should send a reminder to the HTML5 folks that this meeting will take place - the more people we have there the better

<scribe> ACTION: Richard to send email to HTML5 about bidi meeting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/05/26-core-minutes.html#action02]

Mati: there's a lot of interesting discussion going on on the public-iri@w3.org list about bidi IRI/IDNs
... we should take a look


Mati: when people write or read bidi/rtl IRIs there are different opinions about how it should be displayed
... some say just use Bidi Algorithm - this leads to possible confusion because different logical orderings may lead to the same display
... so if you see the URI on a napkin, you don't know how to type into an address bar
... so people are presenting different options for normalisation
... basically suggestion that the parts are always laid out label by label in a uniform direction and within the label, bidi algorithm used
... may use control characters, or special duplicates of punctuation for this purpose, ie. special dot and special @ with unique bidi properties
... to create predictabel and understandable outcome
... there are strong differences of opinion about the best approach, worries about spoofing, changes on the user or server side, how to expect the transition to work, etc.
... it's quite obvious that there's no ideal solution, so different proposals expressed
... nothing decided yet - in order to decide we need agreement from a large number of bodies, such as browser implementers, standards orgs, etc
... there have been a lot of interventions - it was started by Mark Davis, Google


David: probable regrets for next few weeks

meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Richard to send email to HTML5 about bidi meeting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/05/26-core-minutes.html#action02]

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2010/05/26 17:08:35 $