HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

03 May 2010


See also: IRC log


Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Michael_Cooper, David_Bolter


<trackbot> Date: 03 May 2010

<richardschwerdtfe> passcode is 92473

<richardschwerdtfe> meeting: W3C HTML Canvas Accessibility Meeting

<davidb> jongunderson, are you dialing in?

<richardschwerdtfe> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2010AprJun/0016.html

<richardschwerdtfe> scribe: MichaelC

<richardschwerdtfe> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2010AprJun/att-0003/2dcontext10-Apr-11.html

Canvas API proposal for focus and caret tracking

rs: think that API should be easy to use

db: yes

magnifiers should be able to track

rs: any other issues with proposal?

db: not sure

hoped for input from others

context for interpreting doc?

rs: Mac platform doesn't have a caret

so drawFocusRing allows to locate focus

also have a blink rate adjustment

the entre focus and caret selection management section is redone

<reads from proposal>

<davidb> rich you have "within the user agent within the user agent"

<davidb> do we need this line "This method only draws the focus ring if the element is focused or is a descendant of the element with focus, so that it can simply be called whenever drawing the element, without checking whether the element is focused or not first"?

<davidb> yeah this needs edits "If the drawCustomRing argument is true, then"...

requirements allowing AT to have their needs met

and accommodating varying caret handling

db: sounds like a good 100% solution; worried about it a bit

rs: at least we allow author to do this, even though they might not

db: prefer to give author a solution they will use

rs: yeah; looked at an alternative but we all knew authors wouldn't do it

db: this section is looking clearer to me now

need to get everybody to read it and then discuss

rs: difficult to set a date for delivery because people aren't responding to requests for review

think we could wrap this up in two weeks if people participate

need to discourage people from doing text editing n canvas

mc: think we need to set a date that is serious

and convey to everyone that the window closes after that date, task force must submit something on that date

there would be opportunity for further work afterwards, but it would be a different aspect of the process

rs: <thinking through steps, edits to make, review cycles

let's plan to wrap this up by 24 May internally

take to poll for 27 May

<davidb> sounds good

deliver to HTML for 3 June

mc: suggest we send this proposed schedule to the canvas group

ask for objections before 13 May

after that, the dates are set

we'll all need to convey the importance of sticking to this schedule

rs: run by Alex Surkov?

<davidb> sure

db: would have a lot of questions...

rs: will copy him in

will make editorial tweaks

and send this around

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2010/05/03 19:31:20 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found embedded ScribeOptions:  -final


Found Scribe: MichaelC
Inferring ScribeNick: MichaelC
Default Present: Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Michael_Cooper, David_Bolter
Present: Rich_Schwerdtfeger Michael_Cooper David_Bolter
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2010AprJun/0016.html
Found Date: 03 May 2010
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2010/05/03-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]