WAI_AGE Teleconference

16 Dec 2009



Andrew, Darren, Pierre, William, Jack, Helle
Shadi, Suzette, Michael


meeting schedule

andrew: Is Wednesday afternoon OK with members?

William: Wednesday is OK

Pierre: +1

Jack: +1

Darren: +1

andrew: Will create a tentative schedule and email people


andrew: Involving Users was published last week.
... How to Contact Organizations about Inaccessible Websites will be put out for comments and feedback. It has been tidied up a little bit since WAI-AGE last looked at it.
... Before and After Demonstration (BAD) is having finishing touches added to it and annotations being populated. Will be published in the New year. Will be provided as a zipped format so people can download it.
... Better Web Browsing has had resources added and a name change since WAI-AGE last looked at it. Will be published as a draft for public review in the New Year.
... How People with Disabilities use the Web will be restructured from a TR document to a WAI multi-page document. Will discuss in WAI-AGE early in the new year.

Training Document


andrew: This document is broad and covers short 10 minute presentations, to workshops to multi-day sessions.
... current audience includes Web accessibility trainers; Teachers, professors, students; People invited to make short presentations; People looking for training materials. Any thought on who else we may target?

William: Also for us. It's a useful for people like us who make documents.

Andrew: People with disabilities who need to raise awareness in their organisations

William: If we list everybody that could use this document it will be a big list

Andrew: So we need broad categories to catch everybody.
... Look at the changes section. http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/changelogs/cl-training.html#changes Any other thoughts?
... last updated in 2000 so these documents need to be updated and include new WAI resources. Also plan to link to stable and robust external resources.
... should we be giving tips and hints to people giving a short presentation as well as people with longer events?

william: Yes.
... we need to give all the help we can as people will be doing training in different ways

jack: are we talking about accessibility training as how to present content in an accessible form.
... are we looking at a bibliography resource style of document?

andrew: that could be part of it but also covering how to present to different audiences. e.g. if you have 10 minutes you can do this.

jack: then maybe we can have a matrix. so you can match an audience with appropriate material.

helle: that makes me think of the WAI evaluation resources where we have a database sorting system and click on preferences for languages and systems.
... we could do something similar so we provide a list of resources depending on the type of audience

andrew: need to make sure we clearly identify the audience so that we help people with technical advice on accessibility.

helle: some people may not be so knowledgeable about technical aspects.

andrew: We should make sure if end users land on this document we can point them to some of our other resources such as better browsing.
... need to go through Review the listed Goals and Objectives to ensure we don't miss any

helle: WCAG 2 allows some non-W3C technologies such as Flash & PDF. So we have to consider how we make these things accessible.

andrew: we should consider pointing to resources that describe those non-W3C technologies

jack: agrees with Helle's point. A lot of developers don't distinguish between Web technologies.

andrew: Sample curricula at http://www.w3.org/WAI/training/cr.html
... are there any other obvious scenarios that we might want to include?

helle: we need to consider if the audience has moved forward from when we first made this document

andrew: things have generally improved but there are still opportunities to present the case to senior managers

william: senior managers change all the time so you will always need to present these things.
... the length of them [scenarios] is what we're dealing with. What they're called and who we're dealing with is arbitrary.

helle: we should address policy as companies want to ensure Websites work after the developers have handed over the CMS

andrew: Content authors need to learn what alt text is and how to use headings
... Consider Modules http://www.w3.org/WAI/training/ra.html
... need to ensure that Flash, PDF and other multimedia technologies are also mentioned here

jack: It looks like it's really worth examining a matrix/database as lots of people will want to mix and match what they want to look at

andrew: Other multimedia and different document formats, is there anything else missing

william: Not sure about Business case and policy basis because at this stage a policy has been decided

helle: Do we ever talk about how assistive technology actually works?

andrew: There was something listed previously.

helle: In one of the new documents we have something about checking out you own Assistive Technology and how it is configured. Is that relevant in these documents.

andrew: This is relevant as people should be aware how different people will interact differently with the Website
... Look at Tips. http://www.w3.org/WAI/training/pe.html
... is this still a relevant thing to include?

jack: Thinks that it is

darren: agrees with Jack

Pierre: is useful but may be more useful if we can classify them as a list is not that easy to read

andrew: Should we just collect tips or attribute them to different people

jack: Think we should just collect tips. Can't see a special reason why you would want to attribute tips to people

andrew: Review the Setting Up Advice. http://www.w3.org/WAI/training/ad.html
... Some things are outdated e.g. a VCR but we could place extra stress on items such as becoming familiar with assistive technology
... should we consider having somebody with a disability come along and give part of the presentation.

Pierre: when training on Web accessibility, seeing a demonstration of how people with disabilities use the Web was helpful as the demo was concrete and gave the audience something to think about.
... or using a video of AT users

andrew: Should we consider resources on how to make presentations accessible.
... BrailleNet and others have prepared material for PPT

Jack: Good thing to include but the question is how to include it in this document.

andrew: This setting up page could be linked to from the WAI presentations page.

jack: Are there additional things we should think about as accessibility is relevant generally but are there particular things we can do for the WAI-AGE audience.

william: If we have a different audience in mind we should consider resources specifically for WAI-AGE

andrew: We need to ensure that older people is a key point that gets across to key audiences.

Summary of Action Items

No actions recorded

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009/12/17 09:33:51 $