SSN XG 2-December-2009

02 Dec 2009

See also: IRC log


Holger, [IPcaller], Arthur, rgarcia, krp, michael
Kerry, Krzysztof, Manfred, Payam, Oscar




<Holger> ScribeNick: laurent_oz

<Holger> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/Use_Case_Device

Used MMI Use case number 10

Holger has added other sub-uses cases

Laurent wants more details to complete the use case and build examples

e.g. the info about the sensor

Laurent will use the same template

Need at the top page to record the connections between the use cases.

<scribe> No progress on the data discovery use cases

Kevin: issue with working the use case is touching domain ontologies

Kevin see two motivations for use cases

Motivation for the work

Validation of the ontologies

<Danh_DERI> +q

Laurent 2nd one is important

Kevin issue do the complete validation ican be difficult

Danh How can we validate the ontology (general question)

Holger The ontology covers the information which an application need

Danh Do we have participants which will build an application based on the ontology = an "implemntation" partner like in other W3C groups?

Holger as an XG we may not do the full cycle It is not in the list of deliverables

Laurent It would be good to define a period where we receive feedback

Holger Time is an issue

Kevin Agree that time is the issue Validation may not be complete

Laurent Other W3C groups find it difficult to do validation of their ontologies

Michael has sent a new version of the ontology following discussion at the f2f meeting

<Danh_DERI> +q

<krp> +q

Raul's question/comment how much will we cover the observation ontology?

<krp> How many concepts are missing?

Raul wants to add a couple of properties on the observation side

Danh ask what metadata is used for

Raul it's an observation metadata

Danh This part is confusing

Raul This is a place where people can insert more information

<krp> Yeah, I'd agree, a metadata class is disconcerting

Danh There are other way to extend it

The Metadata part has been proposed by Raul (last message in the mailing list)

Kevin This is a transposition of O&M into the ontology Question what is missing

Raul Time and Quality

Luis Often two different times for an observation: sampling and result

<Danh_DERI> +q

Observation has a time Result is only a value now but may also have a time

Danh Location information is "outside" or "inside" ?

<Danh_DERI> +q

Holger W have the placeholder for it as an external ontology

<michael> we just didn

Danh We have not defined a range for the result time (precise the datatype of the class)

<michael> we just didn't discuss it at the face-to-face. The ontology was just meant to show what we discussed at the f2f.

(datatype or class)

<Luis> +q

Arthur in the Sensor Michael sent us, Sensor and Device - how they relate to each other

f2f discussion : Sensor = the abstract description and Device the physical thing

That was Michael's interpretation

<krp> Did we manage to get hold of the wallchart photos from the f2f?

<krp> (he says, regretting he didn't have a camera on him that day)

<rgarcia> +q

Luis SensorMl has a hierarchy - We have to precise this hierarchy for System, Process, Sensor Device

<Arthur> +q

Luis Currently we don't track these comments

<michael> I jotted down the picture on the minutes from the wall chart

rgarcia: need to document the ontology further on these points

Arthur WebProtege can we use the versioning?

Holger We have not managed to set it up

<krp> Shame... the photos of the various options would be handy to refresh my brain ;)

<scribe> ACTION: Arthur to check possibility to install Protege [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/12/02-ssn-minutes.html#action01]

<michael> I thought someone did take pictures

You can put them of flickr too and create a group

Holger need to track the ones done by Manfred and Amit

<Danh_DERI> +q

<rgarcia> WebProtege also helps to track changes and discussions

Holger sums up what was discussed at f2f o common ontology tools (webprotege)

Luis describes how the mmi repository record the changes every time you upload the ontology

Danh's colleague Richard can help/propose alternatives

<michael> Isn't there a w3c tracker?

Luis wants to know how we synchronise the editing of the ontology - we need a process - can use a wiki page in support of it

W3C has an issue tracker

<Arthur> http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/

Discussion two sides: tasks and changes at the ontology level

Current processs: Michael as the main custodian Feedback on the ontology through the meeting

Intent: Ontology editable by all and a visible tracking thread of changes

Luis example: 1) submit a change 2) discuss in the meeting 3) make the change


<krp> +1

<Danh_DERI> +1

<rgarcia> +1

<Holger> +1

Holger do we agree on this new approach (answers are above)

<scribe> ACTION: Holger to contact W3C to have a tracker [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/12/02-ssn-minutes.html#action02]

Laurent Will add stuff on Semantioc Markup page - Topic to be handled at next meeting

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Arthur to check possibility to install Protege [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/12/02-ssn-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Holger to contact W3C to have a tracker [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/12/02-ssn-minutes.html#action02]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009/12/02 21:03:07 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found ScribeNick: laurent_oz
Inferring Scribes: laurent_oz

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

Default Present: Holger, [IPcaller], Arthur, rgarcia, krp, michael
Present: Holger [IPcaller] Arthur rgarcia krp michael
Regrets: Kerry Krzysztof Manfred Payam Oscar
Got date from IRC log name: 02 Dec 2009
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2009/12/02-ssn-minutes.html
People with action items: arthur holger

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]