Media Fragments Working Group Teleconference

19 Aug 2009


See also: IRC log


Yves, Thierry, Silvia, Raphael
Jack, Michael, Davy, Erik




<trackbot> Date: 19 August 2009

<Yves> like updating the fragment in the URI bar when you seek manually in the video?

Raphael: just Yves, Thierry, Silvia and Raphael present on the call
... no quorum :-(

Silvia: discussing my today's blog post

<scribe> scribe: raphael

Silvia ... i'm considering making a small demo

scribe: not implementing the protocol stuff the group is doing, but rather emulating the visual effect on client / UA side
... basically, the YouTube use case

Yves: +1, we want to demonstrate how to bookmark a fragment of a video

Silvia: my implementation will be based on javascript + perhaps the video element of HTML5

<Yves> about query: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gregorio-uritemplate-03

<Yves> might be useful

<nessy> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-fragment/2009Aug/0011.html

Silvia: I suggest we seriously discuss the use of query vs fragment

<Yves> or link to a manifest file somewhere

<Yves> or to a URI template (if applicable)

Silvia: in case of query, how the new resource can be linked to the original resource?

Raphael: perhaps using the link header

Silvia: and the problem of the UA getting the full duration of the parent resource in case of the fragment, see ISSUE-11
... do we need to define an extra header ?

Yves, it is always in the case of a range request

Yves: so no problem
... for example, the server will serve, this is the bytes for the range 10s - 20s / the full duration of the resource

<nessy> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/wiki/UA_Server_HTTP_Communication

Yves: correct, this is incomplete, I will correct this wiki page

Raphael: I will take proper action for closing the ISSUE-11 if the problem is addressed

Great, that closes the ISSUE-11, at least for the fragment

I will email the group about that

Silvia: what we need to fix asap is: the scheme syntax of media fragment, and the protocol aspect (communication UA / server)

Yves: the ACTION-49 will be done by the beginning of September

Raphael: yes, that will make the work more concrete

<Yves> http://www.mnot.net/drafts/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-07.txt

Raphael: since our examples will contain the full HTTP request and HTTP response

Silvia: I will write my use case by the next telecon
... and I will write a paragraph on the use of fragment vs query ... among the lines of my blog post

Raphael: +1

I want also we discuss the relationships between the spatial dimension of Media Fragments and Image Sprites, see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-fragment/2009Jun/0002.html

Silvia: perhaps finish the time dimension first
... but address that later

I will create a new issue regarding this point

Silvia: TPAC, worth to meet ?

Raphael: perhaps a accessible media workshop colocated

Silvia: if workshop, mozilla will fund me and I will be there

Raphael: in this case, I will make it too and Yves will be there
... might worth to have then a meeting, perhaps using Media Annotations arrangement


<trackbot> ACTION-96 -- Yves Lafon to make change to temporal-optional-comma specification -- due 2009-08-19 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/96

<nessy> * ACTION-96: Yves to make change to temporal-optional-comma specification

close ACTION-96

<trackbot> ACTION-96 Make change to temporal-optional-comma specification closed

Question: do we need also editUnits, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-fragment/2009Jul/0018.html ?

Silvia: my problem with editUnit, is that this is container specific
... even worse, this is encoding specific
... I can write a reply about that
... editing the WD directly in the cvs ?
... capture the discussion within the wiki but update the main document that contains the spec in the cvs

<scribe> ACTION: Silvia to update the wiki + cvs document for adding the "clock" scheme for specifying time and for discussing editUnit (ACTION-84) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/08/19-mediafrag-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-97 - Update the wiki + cvs document for adding the "clock" scheme for specifying time and for discussing editUnit (ACTION-84) [on Silvia Pfeiffer - due 2009-08-26].


<trackbot> ACTION-89 -- Yves Lafon to find out more about fragment identifier registration -- due 2009-07-22 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/89

we need to write a small IETF draft for IANA consideration

we need to make a plan for that

Yves: first, get a good story from our document, and then the IETF document will just link to our document

close ACTION-89

<trackbot> ACTION-89 Find out more about fragment identifier registration closed

I will open a new ISSUE to remind us that we need to write a IETF draft for proposing how to register the fragment scheme for all media types

Yves: this IETF draft should contain a how-to register the fragment spec for media fragments
... and we should ask for a template of what does it mean when we come accross a media fragment

Silvia: this is a different issue ... something to consider

Raphael: I will make another issue
... for the media type registration template
... needs to be discussed then within IETF


<nessy> thanks everybody!


meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Silvia to update the wiki + cvs document for adding the "clock" scheme for specifying time and for discussing editUnit (ACTION-84) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/08/19-mediafrag-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009/08/19 13:18:01 $