Internationalization WG Teleconference

15 Jul 2009


See also: IRC log


aphillip, Richard, +1.303.945.aaaa, Felix, [Oracle], AndrewC, YvesS, dchiba
Addison Phillips
Addison Phillips




<scribe> Scribe: Addison Phillips

<scribe> ScribeNick: aphillip

Action Items

Richard: respond on our behalf to CSS on ruby issue

not yet

Addison: convert widgets comments to a table and forward to webapps@
... set up document edit transition with dan for ws-i18n

richard: ask IanJ if we can publish charreq as a historical Note

not yet

richard: look at framework for i18n guidelines and suggest actions to take on document

on agenda

ichard: publish qa-bidi-unicode-controls


<scribe> DONE

richard: ready bp-html-bidi for publication, announce a review, and publish for review

<scribe> DONE

Info Share

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/tests/list-html-css#direction

richard: working on test suite, particulary on text direction
... at link above
... can run in four mode
... also added section on vertical text
... need more of those
... xhtml 1.1 still works without need for css, even though served as xml

What to do with Framework Document for i18n Guidelines 1.0


I propose that we leave as a Working Draft and set the metadata that will be available on the w3c beta site to say that this is obsolete-retired. It will then appear under Obsolete Specifications at http://beta.w3.org/standards/techs/i18n (and only on that page).

richard: had a look at this... way out of date
... doesn't make sense to work on it any more
... would be weird since it the ideas captured are out of date
... spoke to IanJ and he suggested we leave it as-is

<r12a> http://beta.w3.org/standards/techs/i18n

richard: and set metadata on beta site (above link)
... to make it obsolete/retired
... or say it is superseded
... but then we need something to supercede it with
... so propose: leave as WD and mark as retired

<scribe> chair: anyone object to publishing as retired WD


no objections

<scribe> ACTION: richard: publish i18n-guide-frameword as (retired, obsolete) WD [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/07/15-core-minutes.html#action01]

Widgets responses


<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/0907-widgets-pc/

addison: note their concern about ITS, our responses

richard: possibly <widget> element should have dir?
... some confusion about scope of 'dir'
... they are talking about support for ITS, when they should talk about bidi support in widget packaging


<fsasaki> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2009JulSep/0028.html

felix: marcos happier to have dir without its namespace
... can we porpose that?

addison: yes, can do that

felix: could also map from their namespace to the its rules
... want to avoid control characters

yves: part of response is still weird

propose putting it on <widget> and removing its namespace?

<fsasaki> +1

any objections?

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Bp_spec_bidi

addison: good start... wants to be more than just a BP?
... some in xml BP from ITS

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/publications

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/#DevDir

addison: not so much in UTR#20

richard: needs some rationales, etc.
... very bare-bones at moment, so please send comments or comment in wiki


<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Charmod_norm

richard: charmodnorm wiki available
... (link above)
... conformance criteria listed in first section
... and then have a new section for writing new conformance criteria
... put proposals in wiki or send via email
... have thought off-and-on about it
... gonna have to go back to CSS with late normalization

addison: concerned that we've already lost that battle

richard: clarify position and state it
... how far to push?

andrew: how far to push vs. what can we do?
... put together BP for what is broken, what developers have to do, etc.
... may be no point pushing it, but they might react to "css is broken, do this to work around"


richard: changed the write up about internationalization


<r12a> http://beta.w3.org/standards/webdesign/i18n

typo: This is widely used abbreviation (should have 'a' in there)

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: richard: publish i18n-guide-frameword as (retired, obsolete) WD [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/07/15-core-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009/07/15 20:19:35 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

FAILED: s/^ichard/richard/
Succeeded: s/enw/new/
Found Scribe: Addison Phillips
Found ScribeNick: aphillip
Default Present: aphillip, Richard, +1.303.945.aaaa, Felix, [Oracle], AndrewC, YvesS, dchiba
Present: aphillip Richard +1.303.945.aaaa Felix [Oracle] AndrewC YvesS dchiba
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2009Jul/0014.html
Got date from IRC log name: 15 Jul 2009
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2009/07/15-core-minutes.html
People with action items: richard

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]