MW4D IG bi-monthly meeting

06 Apr 2009


See also: IRC log


Stephane Boyera (W3C), Arun Kumar (IBM), Raphael Dard (Intracen), Ken Banks (kiwanja.net), Lauri Hirvonen (Nokia), Nicolas Chevrollier (TNO)(irc only)




approval of last meeting minutes

http://www.w3.org/2009/02/16-mw4d-minutes.html approved

Maputo Workshop summary

Stephane made a summary of the Maputo workshop. this will appear in the Executive Summary to be released in the next 2 weeks.

Few themes:




Mobile Apps Ecosystem

<Raphael> Was there any example of blocking regulations?

yes raphael

typically the need of an isp license for community radio to serve as a local hub

ken: impressive evolution in the domain since Sao paulo
... impressive discussions
... ws was a good opportunity and a momentum created

raphael: one world asia, e-agriculture.org 1200000 farmers in india coverd by lifeline

(name of the system) bt, cisco involved

<kiwanja> steph: good summary of workshop, and evolution since Bangalore/Sao Paulo

raphael: interesting to learn from those

strike by the numbers

mw4d ig can serve for information sharing

<kiwanja> arun/raphael: discussion around the agriculture discussion, and a project in India reaching 100,000 farmers

raphael: new participant for the group ?

<kiwanja> q

ken: enlighting agriculture and m-banking

most tension between top-down approach vs grassroot approach

internatoinal consortium vs local people in hte groupnd

ken: all systems competing, not open data

not sure how to move from pilot to big scale

raphael: subject for the wiki: competing solution is interesting to discuss

better R&D discussion

good to replciate to benefit more people

raphael: considered esoko for my liberia project

but was reluctant to make a solution not coming from liberian

but needing to pay yearly

focusing on one module only might be enough

lots of issues such as electricity

importance ofr server to be up

stephane: importance of local ownership is very important

ken: issue of replicability

some things are replicable some are not

impossible for people to replicable nokia lifetools or esoko for instnce at local level

raphael: unicef news ?

stephane: they were invited, but no time for them ot attend

ken: rapidsms and frontline are not exactly similar. they are pushing rapidsms in unicef projects

focused on deploying their solutions,

not aware of anybody else than unicef to use their tools

not focusing on replicability by others

<Raphael> +1

<kiwanja> steph: thoughts around a workshop promoting/evaluating mobile tools

<kiwanja> steph: challenges in regulation and other tech adoption (fibre, etc) which we have little control over

<kiwanja> steph: discussing latest news on wiki - parts that need work, expansion, etc.

ken: what is the audience ?

providing practical help

what people could actually do today

raphael: sorting application based on criteria such as accessbility, replicability,...

ken: tactical tech doing similar things, partnership possible

<scribe> ACTION: steph to come with a document structure and summary of each section [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/04/06-mw4d-minutes.html#action01]

next meeting

Steph: next meeting == doha ictd2009

i propose May 11 (may 4 impossible for me)

agreed: NEXT MEETING: May 11 2009

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: steph to come with a document structure and summary of each section [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/04/06-mw4d-minutes.html#action01]