Media Annotations Working Group Teleconference

03 Mar 2009

See also: IRC log


please remind people in your next agenda for the new time slot until march 29th




<trackbot> Date: 03 March 2009

<daniel> Veronique is scriber today, are you ready ?

Agenda review and approval of previous minutes telecon 17 February 2009

<daniel> http://www.w3.org/2009/02/17-mediaann-minutes.html

previous minutes approved

Selection of scribe for next meeting

<fsasaki> Thierry will scribe next week

no one is appointed yet

any volonteer?

Thierry volunteered as a scribe

<tmichel> Thierry will scribe next week

next week the teleconf will be at the same US time

but we have to be careful with the summer time

no changes for US people

people joining from Asia will have to dial one hour earlier

people joining from Europe will have to dial one hour earlier

Daniel: shall we reschedule the teleconf?

<daniel> how many members need to change the schedule ?

<tmichel> I am fine with the 3 weeks one one earlier

<daniel> +1 for one earlier

<fsasaki> I have a high preference for not dialing in one hour earlier in Europe (I could not make the call)

<tmichel> one hour earlier

<raphael> I'me fine with having the telecon at 13:00 Paris Time for 3 weeks

<tobias> +1 for one earlier

<chris> +1 for one earlier

I'me fine with having the telecon at 13:00 Paris Time for 3 weeks

<fsasaki> +1 for 13:00 for 3 weeks, but not after

<joakim> doesnt matter to me

<joakim> For some reason I can't open the minutes

Daniel: we keep the official schedule and people dialing from Asia and Europe will dial one hour earlier

Joakim: can't open the minutes, does anyone else have the same problem?

<joakim> Now it works!

problem solved: minutes are now accessible

<daniel> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/track/actions/open

Action items

<trackbot> Sorry, bad ACTION syntax


<daniel> ACTION-43

first action is on Felix

action is still pending

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - is

<daniel> ACTION-43

<daniel> ACTION-47


<fsasaki> felix : action 43 is still pending

Werner: action item is still pending


<daniel> ACTION-80 is still open

Frank: action still pending, would someone take over?


Felix: action is still pending

Thierry: the action should be transfered to me


is closed

ACTION 83 is still open

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - 83

84 is done

<raphael> close ACTION-84

<trackbot> ACTION-84 Set up questionnaire for format selection closed


is still open

Felix and Joakim: we should put a schedule on that

scribe: and define how to update the requirement document

<tobias> Felix, if you need any support: please tell me.


<fsasaki> tobias, yes please!

<fsasaki> you just need to get CVS access from Thierry, and you can get started

Joakim: has updated it, and will still update it, it seems that there are still some access problems, will take care of that later offline


Joakim: action is still pending

<daniel> Werner: did you look into the Google Dataset API ?

<daniel> this is a ACTION-87


<wbailer> action 87 is pending

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - 87

Felix: has sent a mail for update propsal

close action 88

<fsasaki> close action-88

<trackbot> ACTION-88 Gather material for publishing a recommendation track working draft closed

Mapping of formats

Daniel: the ontology and api have to be as simple as possible
... Joakim an Thierry do you have an idea about how to move forward this topic?

Joakim: Pierre Antoine sent an email about ID3 mappings
... and followed up discussion was about the complexity of ontologies
... not sure what the concensus about it is?

Felix: meantimes we looked into mappings and implementations
... we don't have a definite conclusion but we can still move forward so it is ok as is
... does anyone think we are going in the wrong direction right now?
... if not it is ok to go on the discussion and comparison of examples
... we take into account abstraction levels existing in the mapping tables: this is fine
... for example
... difficult to formulate more specific conclusions now
... we can continue to work on the mapping table and implementations

Daniel: we don't need to implement the whole mapping table
... this is why we have the questionaire of format selection
... and if someone wants to implement other formats they are welcome

<joakim> opinion, that even "flat looking" metadata scheme involve several layers of abstraction, and so that our ontology must take this into account, preferably in an explicit way.

Joakim: Pierre Antoine wrote about needed atributes dealing with ID3

<daniel> fundamental question: are you thinking that we have to implement all mapping tables within our specification ?

Joakim: and several layers of abstraction

<raphael> @Daniel: the survey was sold as an informative way of defining priorities for the work of the group ... and NOT a decision on the formats to consider

Joakim: now that we have the mapping table, we should implement them in a more "operationnal" format

Felix: the survey is informative

<raphael> +1

<daniel> +1

<wonsuk> +1

Felix: +1 to Raphael' irc remark

Daniel: I agree with the fact that our ontology and API should be simple
... how many people are willing to implement a mapping?
... who is a volunteer for an implementation?

Joakim: we should publish the mapping table in march, did not mention the volunteering of implentations

<fsasaki> currently Pierre-Antoine and Felix for toy implementations, but they cover only small bits

Thierry: both PA and Felix have provided a toy implementation, but they do not cover everything

<daniel> Question: any more volunteers for toy implementation ?

<daniel> so far, 3 volunteers: PA, Felix and Wonsuk, other volunteers ?

Wonsuk: needs help to design the ontology
... the group has experts in ontology design
... we have to define the language
... can anyone comment on that?
... would be very useful for his toy implementation

Daniel: it seems that the working group has to get some guidelines for designing an ontology

Joakim: I can volunteer for this
... but how do you see the relation between the toy ontology, the toy implementation and the final ontology to deliver?

Felix: the delivery is open to everything, the ontology can be prose. formal representation and whatever language
... any kind of language is ok

Joakim: people developping toy implementation should document what language they are building upon

Daniel: the documentation process is not part of our work, is it?

<Zakim> tobias, you wanted to tell the group about the initiative Veronique and Tobias started to map XMP->DC->VRA using semantics

Tobias: Vero and I have started working on the mapping of the rdf representations of XMP to dublin core and vra
... this can also be considered as a toy application

Daniel: do we need an action item for ontology design guidelines?

Joakim: agrres but tooo big task for himself alone

Wonsuk: making a wikipage would be useful

Daniel: let's continue this on the mailing list

Joakim: will try to make a more publishable version of the mapping table, this could be a good starting point for this ontology design guideline

editors for the documents

Daniel: do we need editors for the guidelines?
... we have a good editor team from the UC and REQ document

<tobias> I can also contribute.

Joakim: I could also contribute to the edition of documents

<fsasaki> I can continue to contribute

Joakim: candidates for new editorial team: Tobias, Joakim,
... Felix

<wonsuk> I can also contribute..

Joakim: Vero can also contribute (moderately)
... Wonsuk too

<chris> I can contribute too

Questionnaire: Survey of Mapping Formats

Joakim: did not get feedback yet

Thierry: we have a low rate of feedback on the questionaire

Joakim: would be interesting to know who answered

Daniel: we should re-open the questionaire and rise the question to the mailing list

Thierry: I can re-open the questionnaire, till the next telecon
... will draw conclusions March 10

<daniel> reopen until March 10

<Zakim> raphael, you wanted to talk about TAG investigation around metadata, see http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2009/02/metadata-survey.html

Chris Poppe from IBBT also volunteers to contribute as an editor

Raphael: the tag group has been very active and publishing a page about metadata
... the group should look at that page

Daniel: any other issue?

<daniel> bye

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.133 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009/03/03 13:57:25 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.133  of Date: 2008/01/18 18:48:51  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Felix/Thierry/
Succeeded: s/the same time/the same US time/
Succeeded: s/Tobias/Werner/
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: veroniqueM
Inferring Scribes: veroniqueM

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Felix Frank P1 P13 P2 P5 P7 Thierry VeroniqueM Werner Wonsuk chris daniel fsasaki joakim joined mediaann plh raphael tmichel tobias trackbot wbailer
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Found Date: 03 Mar 2009
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2009/03/03-mediaann-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]