SML WG Teleconference Dec 11, 2008

11 Dec 2008


See also: IRC log


John Arwe
Kirk Wilson




<scribe> scribe: Kirk Wilson

<scribe> scribeNick: Kirk

regrest: Kumar, Sandy

<johnarwe_> minutes of 12/4 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sml/2008Dec/0027.html

Approval of Minutes

Minutes approved by unanimous consent.

Communication from CG

Nothing new.

Action Items

<lencharest> See public/2007/xml/sml/tests

<scribe> ACTION: 208 to Create directories in CVS [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/11-sml-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - 208

208: Create directories in CVS

Provided more information to Len on this action.

190: Draft test case for lax fallback

MSM: No progress

Next steps on Documents

Ginny: Reports that she cannot move tests from Interoperability to Extensibility

John: Ginny can locate extensibility document from the minutes of F2F.
... Issue for WG--should we remove three features currently in Interoperability that are not Interop features or keep them?

<ginny_> From 11/20 minutes:

<ginny_> 1- RESOLUTION: move "noSchemaNV" from "interop" list to "extensibility" list.

<ginny_> 2 - RESOLUTION: move "baseUriCheck" from "interop" list to "extensibility" list.1-

<ginny_> 3 - RESOLUTION: remove "baseUriReq" from the feature list.

<ginny_> I propose to simply remove these 3 items from the test spreadsheet since this spreadsheet contains only tests for interop features.

RESOLUTION: Proposal passes without objection.

Working Group Document

Len: Reports on progress regarding loading EPR Ref Scheme and XLink Ref Scheme.
... HMTL did not eliminate Word edit changes.

Kirk: Will work on EPR Ref Scheme references over XMas holidays.

MSM: W3C standard is to publish documents in HTML. How WGs develop such documents is up to the WG.

Len: Will prepare XLink Ref Scheme for publication.
... Will delete HTML documents from CVS and we will continue to work on the Word documents.

<ginny> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2007/xml/sml/

<ginny> This is the web interface to CVS

<johnarwe_> pubrules: http://www.w3.org/2005/07/pubrules

<johnarwe_> (previous url can be found at http://www.w3.org/TR/ at the top, under "related")

<johnarwe_> http://www.w3.org/2008/09/sml-schema.xsd ..

<johnarwe_> previous is the url of a schema file someone found via a google search - have been unable to find out via webreq where it came from, lifecycle, etc

<scribe> ACTION: Michael to investigate source of the url pointing to sml-schema.xsd [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/11-sml-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-209 - Investigate source of the url pointing to sml-schema.xsd [on Michael Sperberg-McQueen - due 2008-12-18].

New Work:

John: No new work.

Existing Work

John: Nothing productive we can do with existing work.

Test Case Discussion

John: Advises the WG to let the WG know if you are going to work on a particular test case.

Concrete responses from COSMOS to our comments.

<johnarwe_> xlsx http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sml/2008Nov/0053.html

items 16 & 17

<johnarwe_> 16 - base64dtdentity.xml (decoded) contains

<johnarwe_> <?xml version="1.0"?>

<johnarwe_> <!DOCTYPE BOOK [

<johnarwe_> <!ELEMENT BOOK (P*)>

<johnarwe_> <!ELEMENT P (#PCDATA)>

<johnarwe_> <!ENTITY author "HL">

<johnarwe_> <!ENTITY copyright "IBM">

<johnarwe_> ]>

<johnarwe_> <BOOK>

<johnarwe_> <P>chapter 1 - Intro</P>

<johnarwe_> <P>chapter 2 - Conclusion</P>

<johnarwe_> <P>&author;&copyright;</P>

<johnarwe_> <P>Index</P>

<johnarwe_> </BOOK>

John: Sandy's response

<johnarwe_> smlif says: "...the SML-IF consumer MUST compose a schema using all schema documents included in the SML-IF document and MUST use this schema to validate all instance documents in the interchange model."

<johnarwe_> thus Sandy said that a schema could be constructed, and in this case it would contain only the built-in schema components. ..as a consequence, our comments are correct.

MSM: What was the group thinking it was doing here?

<johnarwe_> smlif: ... 5.4.3 is read.

MSM: Agrees with Sandy interpretation of 5.4.3; therefore MSM agrees with our comments.

No objections to this interpretation.

17: Base64DTDInvalidXML

<johnarwe_> decoded content: <?xml version="1.0"?>

<johnarwe_> <!DOCTYPE BOOK [

<johnarwe_> <!ELEMENT BOOK1 (P*)>

<johnarwe_> <!ELEMENT P (#PCDATA)>

<johnarwe_> <!ENTITY author "HL">

<johnarwe_> <!ENTITY copyright "IBM">

<johnarwe_> ]>

<johnarwe_> <BOOK>

<johnarwe_> <P>chapter 1 - Intro</P>

<johnarwe_> <P>chapter 2 - Conclusion</P>

<johnarwe_> <P>&author;&copyright;</P>

<johnarwe_> <P>Index</P>

<johnarwe_> </BOOK>

John: Doc invalid because Element is Book1, instance is <Book>.

MSM: Can't be schema valid, unless there is a schema. There needs to be schema.

19-23 Group: Base64EncodedDoc

John: COSMOS has updated test cases.
... WG should review these test cases for next week to determine if they are now valid.
... Will attempt to get Sandy to review these.

item 31 uses multiple reference scheme: thus, this is not an area where we can test interop.

MSM: Implementations should tolerate another scheme even if they don't use it.
... Agrees with John that we can't get to this kind of test.

John: Uses two sml reference schemes but must reparse the document with their own sml ref scheme definition that allows 2 instances for consistency checking.
... We should drop this text case as not testable under interoperability

No objection to this approach.

item 32: InvalidConstraintsSubstitution

John: Sandy is reviewing. 32 is correct; 44 still needs to work.

item 49: InValidInCompleteModel.

John: this has been fixed in the spec; test case implemented in COSMOS. WG should review.

item 54:TestDocumentLocator

John: Our comment, regarding sml:refType, is not applicable. Nothing else appears to be wrong. We need to withdraw the comment.

items 55 - 56 TestRulesWithMultiple/UnderOnePattern

John: Fixed and integrated by COSMOS

item 61: InvalidBareNameUnresolved

John: Definition of "valid"--according to our definition of valid, this is "Valid".
... from SML-perspective: this is valid

items 62, 66, 67, 83, 90: Same issue as item 31.

John: Multiple schemes, we don't have interop for that.

item 71: SingleRef

John: Another case of definition difference, see item 61. This is not a problem in the test case.

items 83 - 90: Multiple schemes issue

item 92: ValidNilRefPSVI

John: Fixed by bug fix.

item: 114 ValidSchematronRule

John: COSMOS not sure what the problem is. COSMOS believes this is a valid test case. We need to provide explanation if we disagree.
... Do we want to take the approach that we will assume their fixes did indeed fix the problem until someone says otherwise, or should we have someone review the modified test cases?

Ginny: Let Microsoft run the test cases and MS should inform us if something is wrong.

RESOLUTION: No objections to accepting COSMOS fixes until something is discovered to be incorrect

Success Criteria.

John: Are we in sufficient position to discuss this topic?

Ginny and Len: We want want to Kumar comes back to discuss specific criteria.

John: In the meantime, he will review completeness of test cases and to code the test cases. Others should do this as well.

No other business.

Adjourn: 3:46 ET

rssagent, generate minutes

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: 208 to Create directories in CVS [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/11-sml-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Michael to investigate source of the url pointing to sml-schema.xsd [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/11-sml-minutes.html#action02]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.133 (CVS log)
$Date: 2008/12/11 20:48:50 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.133  of Date: 2008/01/18 18:48:51  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/and keep/or keep/
Succeeded: s/Proposals/Proposal/
Succeeded: s/ffrom/from/
Succeeded: s/ValidNilRefDefintion/ValidNilRefPSVI/
Found Scribe: Kirk Wilson
Found ScribeNick: Kirk

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Adjourn Ginny_Smith John Kirk Len MSM Microsoft aaaa aabb ginny ginny_ item johnarwe_ joined lencharest pubrules regrest scribeNick sml smlif trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sml/2008Dec/0027.html
Got date from IRC log name: 11 Dec 2008
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2008/12/11-sml-minutes.html
People with action items: 208 michael

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]