MW4D IG bi-monthly call

01 Dec 2008


See also: IRC log


Stephane Boyera (W3C), Raphael Dard (Intracen), Bill Gillis (Invited Expert), Lauri Hirvonen (Nokia), Richard Scullin (MobileEd.org), Sean Krepp (Nokia), Ken Banks (kiwanja.net), Adesina Iluyemi (Invited Expert) (irc only)


Approval of minutes

<Raphael> +1

Ken: approved ?



Action items

ken: Arun missing


<Adesina> I endorse the minute

<kiwanja> Also worth taking a look at this as a voice/SMS service - http://www.mobichange.org

<Raphael> looks interesting, thanks

ken: ACTION: stephane to start mail discussion on the organization of

the work

stephane: done

ken: Lauri to report on Nokia work in education cursus in


Sean: nokia in south africa experience

working with the ministry of education

using mixit

<kiwanja> mxit

<kiwanja> :)

and integrate content for tutors and students

result in April

stephane: material on the web ?

sean: not yet, just approved

no public announcement yet

<Adesina> Looking forward to the Nokia report

Richard: how do you assess the program

and what is the subject of the content

sean: mathematics

sean: delivering local SA curricula

<Adesina> mobile for mathematics?

<Adesina> ok

sean: and there is an assessment methodology and they will assess the results

workshop announcement


<Adesina> The workshop looks interesting, what date, venue?

1-2 april 2009 mozambique

<Raphael> I'll do my best!

<Raphael> to attend

stephane: may be we could organize a group f2f around this event (day before or day after)

<kiwanja> would be good to see you there raphael!

if critical mass available

<rscullin> not right now....

so please promote and disseminate the information

ken: good ot get feedback from southern africa

<Raphael> will do

roadmap work

<Adesina> Ken, any financial support to attend?

will depend on the sponsors

for now no sponsor

<Adesina> kindly keep me in mind if any, I will like to attned

ok submit a paper so

and say so

<Raphael> I'm willing to work on the Agriculture group

<Raphael> anyone else?

stephane: good to share work

people should sign for some of the item

<Raphael> I'll reply to Steph's email in order to share to group list (100+ people?)

stephane: will put raphael on agriculture

i will put myself for SMS/voice and web

other volunteers welcome to sign for some of the items

<scribe> ACTION: member of the group to read the proposed shared work [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/01-mw4d-minutes.html#action01]


<Adesina> I will introduce to soemone based in Ghana on Agriculuture

Ken: who is going to M4D meeting in sweden in December ?

no response

<Adesina> I am already under Health

Raphael: was in liberia 2 weeks ago, found that literacy is very important

<Adesina> Yes, I am going to M4D too, have a paper I am still working on

<kiwanja> thanks adesina

<Adesina> ok

steph: 2 trends: using voice, and using iconic languages

lots of litterature

<kiwanja> is google voice search any good/worth looking at?

ken: how does solve the problem ?

<kiwanja> thinking about the technology behind it

raphael: usually passing the phone to someone else if available. otherwise they are stuck

<Adesina> no thread on the chat?

coping with illiteracy

raphael: a huge problem in my current project in liberia. any idea ?

stephane: 3 options i'm aware of: voice apps, graphical iconic languages, text-to-speech

raphael: working with a consultant will report back to the list

<Adesina> yes, illiteracy is a problem and that is why contextually relevant iconic languages might be the way to go

<Adesina> voice in local language also relevant and alos converting speech to text

stephane: other challenges ?

<Adesina> Steph, put me under health

raphael: there are other issues than just only information but e.g. the bad roads are also an issue

adesina, thanks ok !

<Adesina> generally infrastructure like road, telecom, electricity are bad

<kiwanja> adesina - any questions?

raphael: discovered also that people are NOT using airtime as a currencyd

despite what i expected

steph: what is your objective with your pilot ? releasing a summary of findings ?

raphael: why not

steph: could be good to get direct feedback

raphael: ok, put me in the next teleconference to introduce my project

ken: good to hear back from conferences
... how does people keep track on all the ativites going on ?

Rapahel: our group is good imho

the wiki is very good

<Adesina> no question

we could do more, but a good start

ken: anything more before wrapping up ?
... done !

stephane: next call DEcember 15 !

<Raphael> Adesina, do you have access to the wiki and the M-Health part?

<Adesina> what plan do we have to take this forward?

<Raphael> feed it!

<Raphael> ;)

<Adesina> let me see

<Raphael> http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/wiki/Stories

adesina: how to move forward is described in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mw4d/2008Nov/0054.html

the idea is that you look at the health apps/project ongoing and trying to identify some specificities or generalized findings

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: member of the group to read the proposed shared work [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/01-mw4d-minutes.html#action01]

[Pending] ACTION: Arun to make a summary of voikiosk [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/11/17-mw4d-minutes.html#action01]
[Pending] ACTION: Lauri to report on Nokia work in education cursus in Africa
[Pending] ACTION: stephane to investigate how to get profile of people from the group

[End of minutes]