MW4D IG bi-monthly teleconference

01 Sep 2008


See also: IRC log


Jeff Sonstein (RIT), Stephane Boyera (W3C), Jacob Ninan (Invited Expert), Lauri Hirvonen (Nokia), Raphael Dard (INTRACEN), Joe Michiels (U. of Washington), Renjish Kumar (invited expert), Evan Wheeler (UNICEF)




<steph> Joe: 5am in seattle

<steph> following the group since a while

<steph> joe: university of washington since 2 years

<steph> interested in the group mission

<steph> Lauri: company ?

<steph> Joe: independent working at university of washington

<steph> Raphael: will do next time

<steph> http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/w3circ

jeffs is scribing now

<steph> scribe:Jeffs

approval of last meeting minutes

<Raphael> I may be away during next meeting

<Raphael> will take notes for next one

<Raphael> Oct.

<steph> REsolution: minutes approved


<steph> stephane: next meeting september 15 and october 6

Review of action items

Agenda Item: review of action items

Item: Renjish to write a scenario around the vision

Renjish to write a scenario around the vision

<steph> http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/wiki/mw4dframework#vision

Renjish sent in a paragraph, Stephane is reviewing

we will review and comment for next mtg

Stephane to initiate discussion about Wiki usage on the mailing list

<scribe> done

stephane to publish august 4 minutes on the mw4d homepage

<scribe> done

stephane to send information about the w3c technical plenary

a few people have indicated they will be at W3 F2F

<steph> Lauri also comming

<Jacob> Is there a last date to confirm participation?

Lauri, Jeff, & Steph are confirmed to attend W3C and we will make a F2F happen, at least informally

Steph: could meet 20 Oct for an hour, then Monday

zakim unmute me

discussion of when people will be there so we can arrange F2F

steph: we should avoid monday & tuesday... suggests thursday or friday
... will try to set up friday slot

<steph> yes

<scribe> ACTION: Steph to find room for mtg on thurs or fri [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/09/01-mw4d-minutes.html#action01]

<steph> ACTION:Steph to investigate and find a slot for thursday or friday and organize a dinner [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/09/01-mw4d-minutes.html#action02]

<steph> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPAC2008/

Wiki discussion

<steph> http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/wiki/

steph: have reorganized wiki, asking people to review it, has been adding information
... important to keep track of and post about events re this domain
... encouraging group to post items to the wiki & to share information via email to the group
... he can be point of contact to establish access

<steph> Lauri

Raphael: pointing out possible duplicative pages on wiki which could be combined
... any limitations on what should go on wiki?
... notices he gets blocked if he clicks too often... possible problem with "surge protection" on wiki?

Steph: send him directly the error message, so he can debug

<Raphael> ok

Steph: has done some recombination to simplify & eliminate empty/duplicative pages
... in future, may rearrange wiki as pages grow

Raphael: suggests tools to share bookmarks like del.icio.us

discussion of bookmark sharing tools

Steph: does not know tools & any advantages over wiki pages with links

<Raphael> this is one example: http://delicious.com/gamos

Raphael: likes tagging of links with keywords/phrases

Steph: will look at using this tool

<scribe> ACTION: Steph will examine bookmark sharing tools that use keywords [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/09/01-mw4d-minutes.html#action03]

Raphael & Steph: discussion of various possible tools

<renjish> http://digg.com/

<renjish> i think this has similar functions

<Raphael> http://delicious.com/mobileactive is a collection of 370 bookmarks

<Raphael> FYI

jeffs: many possible tagging tools, steph can evaluate and post recommendations

Roadmap Document

Steph: good work done on "vision" document, now time to move on to "Roadmap" document to plan work for next 10 months or so
... wants to discuss w group beginning this document; at end of this mtg he will establish new wiki page for this
... objectives for the document: 1) what technologies are available, & 2) access issues for each technology plus service knowledge & tools needed for each technology
... asking for opinions & feedback on how to start this work

Jeff: maybe first put up list of technologies

Jeffs: then we can go through the list indicating who has expertise in each area, then they can prepare para or two

Steph: either start w list of technologies or start with list of different challenges and see how each tech fits

<steph> evan

Evan: he & his colleagues are compiling a list of technologies
... also what existing projects and pilot programs have succeeded and failed in the past few years

Steph: perhaps we can mix the 2 approaches, with a) list of technologies & b) list what has been done so far & challenges

<stef> Jeff: it doesn't matter to me

<stef> starting point is important

<stef> list technologies

<stef> list of challenges

<stef> and see how we can sort and match

<stef> raphael: wiki format ?

<stef> jeffs: sure

<stef> brainstorming

<stef> starting as quickly as possible

<stef> Steph: +1

Steph: proposes mixed approach to deal with initial list as like a "brainstorming" session list
... question for group: any other dimensions for the brainstorming process?
... question for group: any volunteers to start the process

<renjish> +q

<stef> Jeff: i will go ahead and volunteer and start the process

<renjish> I can start on the technologies

<stef> Action Steph to start the roadmap page

<stef> joe: i can surely contributes to both challenges and technology

<stef> renjish: will contribute on the tech part

Any Other Business

<renjish> can we set a tentative deadline for this document?

<renjish> a rough deadline

Steph: 2 objectives a) state of the art in existing techs, b) identify challenges
... brainstorming part maybe 1 - 1.5 month timeline to get a solid start with specific topics

<renjish> I think max 2 months would be fine

Steph: any other business before we close the call?

<renjish> stephane

<renjish> one question

<Raphael_> thank you

Steph: no other business, so thanks and goodby

<Jacob> thanks

<stef> renjish

<renjish> is it ok to have the framework done by end of this WG's period?

Steph in response to Renjish: will probably refine "Vision" document with results of "brainstorming"

<renjish> yes

<renjish> ok

Steph: perhaps can finish "framework" completed sooner

<Jacob> - jacob

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Steph to create a wiki page about MW4D roadmap
[NEW] ACTION: Steph to investigate and find a slot for thursday or friday and organize a dinner [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/09/01-mw4d-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Steph will examine bookmark sharing tools that use keywords [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/09/01-mw4d-minutes.html#action03]
[End of minutes]