W3C

- DRAFT -

Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group Teleconference

08 May 2008

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
DKA, Scott, hgerlach, jeffs, adam, manrique, achuter, jo, miguel, nacho, abel, Ed_Mitukiewicz, Kai_Dietrich
Regrets
Rob, Martin, SeanP
Chair
DKA
Scribe
Alan, jo, achuter

Contents


 

 

<trackbot-ng> Date: 08 May 2008

<hgerlach> hi

<DKA> Scribe: Alan

<DKA> ScribeNick: Achuter

<manrique> zakim berrueta is me

Mobile OK Pro

No report, as Kai not present

<Seungyun> This is Seungyun, sorry late join

<jo> scribe: jo

Introductions

dka: Scott Hughes has joined from Vodafone

scott: Interested in Ajax etc ...

BP 2.0

dka: Adam has volunteered to join Bryan as editor and we are very grateful

adam: Have similar interests to Scott ...

Accessibility doc

<achuter> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/TaskForces/Accessibility/drafts/ED-mwbp-wcag-20080506/mwbp-wcag20.html

achuter: we got in a bit of a muddle during the restructuring, but now I have got round to doing the restructure
... how Mobile Best Practices help Accessibility
... should be much easier to understand, this is half of the original doc the other half is:
... in another doc
... [alan discusses structure of the document]

<achuter> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/TaskForces/Accessibility/drafts/ED-mwbp-wcag-20080506/mwbp-wcag20_helps.html

achuter: and the other half is arranged under the best practices and how they help users with disabilities
... we still have WCAG1 -> Mobile to work trhough and also the WCAG2 -Yeliz is doing that
... not ready for group review yet

dka: do we need 2 docs for this?

achuter: yes, they are differently structured
... complexity should not be a problem though their are more pages

dka: as a developer, is this difficult to use?

achuter: there is an overview which will explain which one you should use

dka: is this in line with EOWG wants to do it?

achuter: yes

dka: what should we target for the F2F on this doc
... should we put on the agenda ... 6 weeks till F2F ... when should we target PWD?

achuter: Shaun drew up a timetable which I can't find ...
... [scrabble scrabble]

<achuter> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/changelogs/cl-mwbp-wcag#publication

achuter: [scrabbling stops]
... that link takes you to the schedule
... restructuring should have been done by 30th Apr is running 2 weeks behind

<Kai> abel_WsP&)l WsP&)l

dka: like to review this for the F2F

achuter: should be ready at the beginning of the week after next

dka: sounds like a good plan, you won't be on call next week, if you can email before the next call after that then that would be good

MobileOK Pro (bis)

Kai: we didn't get it all done ...

manrique: working on the tests today so should be ready soon

dka: let's put time on next week's agenda then
... can you publish a couple of days in advance of the call

kai: I won't be able to work on this stuff
... next week may not happen

dka: let's see what happens ... and we'll ... see if the doc is in a shape to review on Thursday and if not then we'll discuss the following week

kai: I have to wait on Manrique and then everyone waits on me
... looking for any guidance from anyone on this

CT Task Force Report

<scribe> scribe: achuter

<scribe> scribe: Alan

<jo> scribenick: achuter

Jo: Progress is slow
... working toward new draft. Should be ready by next week. Last call WD in time for F2F.
... Hope to be redy for approval of LCWD at F2F.
... No further news about it today.

BP2 document

<hgerlach> sorry, have to leave for the next meeting, bye

<jo> issue-245?

<trackbot-ng> ISSUE-245 -- ADC, A Wooden Stake and Some Garlic Needed -- OPEN

<trackbot-ng> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/issues/245

Long ago we decided not to define an advanced delivery context

Dan: The idea is that if a more advanced device is detected, then exploit its capabilities

<jeffs> real-world ADC in common practice will slide naturally over time, and document should reflect that reality

Dan: We made that decision, but for some reason the debate has been resurrected again
... We made that decision, but for some reason the debate has been resurrected again

<jo> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-bpwg/2008Apr/0090.html

<jo> PROPOSED RESOLUTION: ISSUE-245 ADC goes back in coffin and close ISSUE-245

Jo: Last time, in April, we didn't take a resolution because (Kai?) was not present.

<jeffs> IMHO we are saying "find out at runtime what the client can do"

Jo: Think that an ADC definition would be out of date before the ink dry.
... Better to think in terms of low-tier, medium and high-tier devices
... Idea of ADC is counter-productive to the idea of taking advantage of all capabilities a device has to offer.

<Kai> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-bpwg/2008Apr/0061.html

<jo> [low tier mid tier and high tier being determined by the needs of the application]

Kai: Not wedded to the ADC concept, but think it is a mistake to kill it. So I will drop the idea now.

<jo> [not by some arbitrary categorization that makes no reference to particular application needs]

<jo> close ISSUE-245

<jo> scribe: jo

RESOLUTION: ISSUE-245 ADC goes back in coffin and close ISSUE-245

<scribe> scribe: achuter

issue-235?

<trackbot-ng> ISSUE-235 -- Co Editor for Mobile Web Applications Best Practices (i.e. BP2) -- OPEN

<trackbot-ng> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/issues/235

close ISSUE-235

issue-246?

<trackbot-ng> ISSUE-246 -- Name of BP2 / Relationship to BP1 -- OPEN

<trackbot-ng> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/issues/246

Jo: Has been discussed on list
... Agreed that it would be "BP for mobile Web applications"

<jeffs> +1

<jeffs> "Mobile Web Applications"

<jo> PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Name of BP2 remains formally speaking Best Practices for Mobile Web Applications and not BP2 because the latter would give the wrong impression about relationship with BP1 - but we will carry on calling it BP2 anyway

<jo> PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Name of BP2 remains formally speaking Best Practices for Mobile Web Applications and not BP2 because the latter would give the wrong impression about relationship with BP1 - but we will carry on calling it BP2 anyway - and close ISSUE-246

<jo> scribe: jo

RESOLUTION: Name of BP2 remains formally speaking Best Practices for Mobile Web Applications and not BP2 because the latter would give the wrong impression about relationship with BP1 - but we will carry on calling it BP2 anyway - and close ISSUE-246

<scribe> scribe: achuter

<jo> issue-247?

<trackbot-ng> ISSUE-247 -- Proposed Topics for BP2 -- OPEN

<trackbot-ng> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/issues/247

<jeffs> I think we are talking about "location" and "identities" here

<edm> I wonder if we would mention (and elaborate) on potential uses of DCCI to deal with dynamic properties/context...

<scribe> ACTION: Jo to contact Tom Hume of Future Platforms about use of microformats [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/05/08-bpwg-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-753 - Contact Tom Hume of Future Platforms about use of microformats [on Jo Rabin - due 2008-05-15].

<adam> It's on the HTML5 roadmap I think.

<jeffs> given this doc is in the mobile context, it seems important that we address location issues

<scribe> scribe: achuter

Adam: Google Gears API HTML 5

Dan: Upcoming versions of browsers should have it as they are geared up for HTML 5

[about location]

<scribe> ACTION: Adam to get back to teh group with text about location [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/05/08-bpwg-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-754 - Get back to teh group with text about location [on Adam Connors - due 2008-05-15].

<jeffs> agree identity sep

Jeffs: Need to address identity and location in this document

Dan: concerned about the scope of the document, as these are such complex issues

<jeffs> issue would be my suggestion

Ed: Suggest dynamic properties. Supported in common browser.

Jo: If there are no other implementations can not be best practice.

Ed: There is another

<Kai> Are we loosening the meaning of "best practice"?

<Zakim> jo, you wanted to ask whether this is current good practice?

Dan: would like to wait until Bryan is here

Adam: Persistent storage. What happens when installing.
... Cases where content is HTML+CSS but still has install step.
... Looks like Bryan has removed section on declaring install size.

<jeffs> given widgets are based on the same techs (html/css/javascript-based) as browser-based thingies and operate in same context (mobile), seems to me they fit here

Dan: While we discussed widgets in Seoul, but decided there were too many platforms to be able to write BPs
... But can cover use of individual technologies.
... Can talk about it when Bryan is back, maybe next week.

<edm> logistics for next f2f?

Logisitics for F2F

<Kai> http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/Meetings/Sophia/logistics.html

Dan: Logisitcs for next F2F
... Fran├žois is putting together an email with logistics
... Two and half days or three?

<DKA> trackbot-ng, make log minutes something whatever

<Scott> bye

<nacho_> bye everyone

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Adam to get back to teh group with text about location [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/05/08-bpwg-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Jo to contact Tom Hume of Future Platforms about use of microformats [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/05/08-bpwg-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.133 (CVS log)
$Date: 2008/05/08 15:17:00 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.133  of Date: 2008/01/18 18:48:51  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/topic Mobile OK Pro/Topic: Mobile OK Pro/
Succeeded: s/topic MobileOK Pro//
Succeeded: s/restreucturing/restructuring/
Succeeded: s/goodf/good/
Succeeded: s/Dan: Last/Jo: Last/
Succeeded: s/mobile applications/mobile Web applications/
Succeeded: s/concerened/concerned/
Found Scribe: Alan
Found ScribeNick: Achuter
Found Scribe: jo
Inferring ScribeNick: jo
Found Scribe: achuter
Inferring ScribeNick: achuter
Found Scribe: Alan
Found ScribeNick: achuter
Found Scribe: jo
Inferring ScribeNick: jo
Found Scribe: achuter
Inferring ScribeNick: achuter
Found Scribe: jo
Inferring ScribeNick: jo
Found Scribe: achuter
Inferring ScribeNick: achuter
Found Scribe: achuter
Inferring ScribeNick: achuter
Scribes: Alan, jo, achuter
ScribeNicks: Achuter, jo
Default Present: DKA, Scott, hgerlach, jeffs, adam, manrique, achuter, jo, miguel, nacho, abel, Ed_Mitukiewicz, Kai_Dietrich
Present: DKA Scott hgerlach jeffs adam manrique achuter jo miguel nacho abel Ed_Mitukiewicz Kai_Dietrich

WARNING: Replacing previous Regrets list. (Old list: +Bryan)
Use 'Regrets+ ... ' if you meant to add people without replacing the list,
such as: <dbooth> Regrets+ +robert, +martin, +sean, +magnus, +andrew


WARNING: Replacing previous Regrets list. (Old list: +robert, +martin, +sean, +magnus, +andrew)
Use 'Regrets+ ... ' if you meant to add people without replacing the list,
such as: <dbooth> Regrets+ Rob, Martin, SeanP

Regrets: Rob Martin SeanP
Found Date: 08 May 2008
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2008/05/08-bpwg-minutes.html
People with action items: adam jo

WARNING: Possible internal error: join/leave lines remaining: 
        <scribe> dka: Scott Hughes has joined from Vodafone



WARNING: Possible internal error: join/leave lines remaining: 
        <scribe> dka: Scott Hughes has joined from Vodafone



[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]